XvT: Balance of Power Campaign

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Re: XvT: Balance of Power Campaign

the_stag
Rebel Alliance

Post by the_stag » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:17 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:27 pm
May I ask a few things please?
What does Hook_WarheadLock.dll do?
That's a great question. I don't remember... I'll have to do some research and get back to you. Maybe it came out of TFTC? I haven't been using it in my Empire campaign either so it's probably not necessary. @JeremyaFr probably knows. Can you help us with this one?

And what's SUPERSDBoP.OPT
I changed the bridge so that it is destructible. It's really only for the final mission.

What EXE changes are there?
They're all listed in the readme toward the bottom:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xbc ... CznVI/edit

Thanks for asking these questions. I realized that update 5.5 fixed some of the issues I had fixed with ini files, so fewer files are now in the zip. I also left a lot of dangly bits throughout the zip file. I've uploaded a new file and it's not v2.1
Ace Antilles wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:27 pm
I would love to help make this a proper installed mod. I just don't have any time :(
I totally understand. This is mostly just something I always wanted to do and seeing all the hard work going into this and TFTC was really the catalyst for me. I still plan on converting the rest of XvT and BoP missions. So there's still a lot of work to be done before we move into the realm of "proper mod". But if you ever get the time and desire let me know and I'd be more than happy to work with you in whatever manner I can.

the_stag
Rebel Alliance

Post by the_stag » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:27 pm

marcop000 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:08 am
This is a very good news !! do you think to complete the work this year ?
Outside of fixing the briefings and getting some good quality voice overs, the BoP campaign is done. I still have plans on finishing the rest of the missions that exist in XvT and BoP, but those are going to have a multiplayer scope to them. I also want to make a "remastered" BoP campaign like has been done with TFTC. None of those things will probably get done this year, but the work will continue. Thanks for following this project.

the_stag
Rebel Alliance

Post by the_stag » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:32 pm

ual002 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:31 pm
What do you think the likelihood of plugging these missions into TFTC reimagined in the combat folder would work properly? As in using the simulator room multiplayer hook ability to have a list of one-off missions to fly? I am entirely unsure if you have the cutscenes set up, but even if you did I'm not sure if cutscenes would trigger playing missions from the combat folder. Either way, I think it would be great as extra content.
I didn't make these missions with multiplayer options. Yet. It's a fairly simple change to implement, but that's going to be the next step. The rest of the missions that are included with XvT and BoP I'm going to make as simulator room multiplayer missions only. There's plenty of testing that needs to go into that, and I'm going to need others to test with.

As for plugging into TFTC, it could work. There's a lot of balancing changes that exist in TFTC that I don't have. But there are also a lot of similarities. If you want to give it a shot and let me know, I'd be interested in the results. But I'm going to stick with using what the XWAU team puts out as a base. I may branch out entirely at some point, but that's more dependent on the schedules of others. I'm happy with this just being a drag and drop mod for now.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:16 pm

Ok, well I imagine reimaged would be the best fit probably, but once I can find a working version of the Imp campaign I'll slot it into the combat folder in TFTC-R and then slowly maybe dive into the mission balance and fixes
Image Image Image Image Image

LordDaine
Recruit

Post by LordDaine » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:09 pm

Hi,

First of all congrats @the_stag for your mod.

I'm playing the imperial campaign but I can't pass mission 4 altough I win the battle.
When I finish the mission always says failed mission (but not in game, it is when you return to briefing, I attached a screen)
I tried on XWAUP 5.0 and 5.5 but I got the same bug.
Is it normal?
Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

the_stag
Rebel Alliance

Post by the_stag » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:36 am

@LordDaine And thank you for taking interest in my little pet project and for the feedback. I'll test it this weekend and see if I can re-create the issue.

Let me ask the usual questions first:
You said you tried with 5.0 and 5.5, did you try with fresh installs or is there a possibility of critters from another mod?

Are you using the BoP pilot I included? There could be issues with other pilots and how the game marks their progression.

Another possibility, do you fly back to a hangar to end the mission? I've had some instances where friendly AI will crash into their own ships and bring down the shields/hull way more than they should. When you successfully complete the mission, try just ending it with "q" and space bar. If you're already doing that, try flying back to the Rage to end the mission. Maybe there's something breaking the win condition there.

What difficulty are you playing on? I only tested on medium. While that shouldn't cause any problems, it can help in my testing as well.

LordDaine
Recruit

Post by LordDaine » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:00 pm

the_stag wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:36 am
@LordDaine And thank you for taking interest in my little pet project and for the feedback. I'll test it this weekend and see if I can re-create the issue.

Let me ask the usual questions first:
You said you tried with 5.0 and 5.5, did you try with fresh installs or is there a possibility of critters from another mod?

Are you using the BoP pilot I included? There could be issues with other pilots and how the game marks their progression.

Another possibility, do you fly back to a hangar to end the mission? I've had some instances where friendly AI will crash into their own ships and bring down the shields/hull way more than they should. When you successfully complete the mission, try just ending it with "q" and space bar. If you're already doing that, try flying back to the Rage to end the mission. Maybe there's something breaking the win condition there.

What difficulty are you playing on? I only tested on medium. While that shouldn't cause any problems, it can help in my testing as well.
Yes, 5.0 and 5.5 with fresh installs.
Yes, I'm using BoP pilot.
I tried to fly to the hangar (ISD Rage) and also ending with q+space, but I got the same bug.
I was playing on easy and invulnerable mode on.
Then I tried on medium with invulnerable mode off and at least when you die you can skip to the next mission. I suppose now I can pass the mission on medium.

Thank you!

the_stag
Rebel Alliance

Post by the_stag » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:17 pm

LordDaine wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:00 pm
Then I tried on medium with invulnerable mode off and at least when you die you can skip to the next mission. I suppose now I can pass the mission on medium.
Thank you!
Thanks for that info @LordDaine. Did the other missions work on easy with invulnerability on? I thought that if you selected invulnerable missions would not get completed, but I could be thinking of another game.

LordDaine
Recruit

Post by LordDaine » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:46 am

the_stag wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:17 pm
LordDaine wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:00 pm
Thank you!
Thanks for that info @LordDaine. Did the other missions work on easy with invulnerability on? I thought that if you selected invulnerable missions would not get completed, but I could be thinking of another game.
Yes, missions 1 to 3 worked fine on easy with invulneravility on. You can complete these missions without the bug I explained before. However, there is a problem in mission 1. Your wingmen tend to destroy some vessels that must be disabled. You have to order them to dissable your target to prevent that bug.
Missions 5 and 6 are also ok on easy and invulneravility on.
Now I'm on mission 7. I'll tell you if I find more things. (I'm playing on XWAUP 5.5)

Is there any chance to replace the rebel quarters to imperial ones, like in TFTC?
Last edited by LordDaine on Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

the_stag
Rebel Alliance

Post by the_stag » Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:32 am

LordDaine wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:46 am
However, there is a problem in mission 1. Your wingmen tend to destroy some vessels that must be disabled. You have to order them to dissable your target to prevent that bug.
There's a few things going on in the first mission. The first is that I want to missions to play as close to the originals as possible. I ended up keeping the original orders which state that your wingmen should attack until the targets are disabled. The targets disable themselves after taking a certain amount of damage. The first problem is that there's a short time between when the targets get the required damage and when they actually disable themselves. The second problem is that the AI is much more capable in XWA than it was in XvT. Even at veteran level, the wingmen are quite capable of murdering all the ships that need to be captured. Put those two issues together and it can be difficult to no kill the required craft. I found that using some simple wingmen commands such as ignore targets, attack targets and wait can be quite effective.

The other issue is that none of the squadrons that need to "disable" those vessels have ion cannons, so they can't. It might be ok to make those the orders, but again I go back to wanting the missions to play like the original.

Thanks for informing me of that. If I ever make a reimagined version I'm going to make the orders/goals so that enemy craft that need to be captured won't get destroyed so easily, or at all. I appreciate your comments, please keep them coming. I'm hoping to iron out any bugs as they are found.
LordDaine wrote:
Is there any chance to replace the rebel quarters to imperial ones, like in TFTC?
I'm not going to go in that direction. My goal is to make the interface look/work like the original XvT one did. It's a little simple, but full immersion in the end goal. Unfortunately I think that's going to require a full installer and several other changes that I don't have the knowledge for.

LordDaine
Recruit

Post by LordDaine » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:23 pm

That would be nice too.

I haven't found another problem until mission 14. On 14 no problem on medium, but same error on easy with invulnerability.
Next one is mission 15, I think it's the last one. I'll tell you.

LordDaine
Recruit

Post by LordDaine » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:25 pm

the_stag wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:32 am
LordDaine wrote:
However, there is a problem in mission 1. Your wingmen tend to destroy some vessels that must be disabled. You have to order them to dissable your target to prevent that bug.
There's a few things going on in the first mission. The first is that I want to missions to play as close to the originals as possible. I ended up keeping the original orders which state that your wingmen should attack until the targets are disabled. The targets disable themselves after taking a certain amount of damage. The first problem is that there's a short time between when the targets get the required damage and when they actually disable themselves. The second problem is that the AI is much more capable in XWA than it was in XvT. Even at veteran level, the wingmen are quite capable of murdering all the ships that need to be captured. Put those two issues together and it can be difficult to no kill the required craft. I found that using some simple wingmen commands such as ignore targets, attack targets and wait can be quite effective.

The other issue is that none of the squadrons that need to "disable" those vessels have ion cannons, so they can't. It might be ok to make those the orders, but again I go back to wanting the missions to play like the original.

Thanks for informing me of that. If I ever make a reimagined version I'm going to make the orders/goals so that enemy craft that need to be captured won't get destroyed so easily, or at all. I appreciate your comments, please keep them coming. I'm hoping to iron out any bugs as they are found.
LordDaine wrote:
I'm not going to go in that direction. My goal is to make the interface look/work like the original XvT one did. It's a little simple, but full immersion in the end goal. Unfortunately I think that's going to require a full installer and several other changes that I don't have the knowledge for.

Original XvT interface look would be nice too.

I haven't found another problem until mission 14. On 14 no problem on medium, but same error on easy with invulnerability.
Next one is mission 15, I think it's the last one.
I don't know what happend but 15 it's impossible to finish. SSD Vengeance always loses its shields very quickly and it's forced to withdraw.
I tried on easy and medium. Same results.
2/3 dreadnoughts and one corvette destroyed before impact and SSD shields change from 72% to 0% and 1% hull.

emark4
Cadet 4th Class

Post by emark4 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:39 am

I am trying to access the missions from this mod but the game just crashes to desktop as soon as I press "Go to Briefing". I feel like I may have messed up the installation.

I should note that I have the TFTC and with the Palpatine total conversion, I installed on one of the "Custom XWA" sets for the converter to use.

the_stag
Rebel Alliance

Post by the_stag » Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:32 pm

emark4 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:39 am
I am trying to access the missions from this mod but the game just crashes to desktop as soon as I press "Go to Briefing". I feel like I may have messed up the installation.

I should note that I have the TFTC and with the Palpatine total conversion, I installed on one of the "Custom XWA" sets for the converter to use.
I haven't tried any of my "mod" with TFTC or with any other custom sets or changes. My recommendation would be to try removing TFTC and the custom set. If that doesn't work, install XWAU with 5.5 from scratch. If that still doesn't work let me know.

emark4
Cadet 4th Class

Post by emark4 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:59 pm

the_stag wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:32 pm
emark4 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:39 am

I haven't tried any of my "mod" with TFTC or with any other custom sets or changes. My recommendation would be to try removing TFTC and the custom set. If that doesn't work, install XWAU with 5.5 from scratch. If that still doesn't work let me know.
So it sounds like I really need to put the files directly into the main x-wing alliance folder.

The thing is though is that I have a campaign in progress in the base game. Wont the XvT missions overwrite any of the base game missions at all? Can I safely install this while I have a main campaign in progress?

the_stag
Rebel Alliance

Post by the_stag » Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:11 pm

emark4 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:59 pm
So it sounds like I really need to put the files directly into the main x-wing alliance folder.
Yes. If you look at the readme you'll see all the files that are added/replaced.
emark4 wrote:
The thing is though is that I have a campaign in progress in the base game. Wont the XvT missions overwrite any of the base game missions at all?
No. I made the missions work as a battle that takes place after the vanilla campaign. So if you're playing from start, XvT would take place after the battle of Endor (Battle 7).
emark4 wrote:
Can I safely install this while I have a main campaign in progress?
Not safely. There are several changes that make gameplay in the regular campaign different, and probably broken. This information is also in the readme. My recommendation would be to backup all the files that are replaced/modified manually. If you load the pilot BoP, that one starts the BoP campaign an has no rank or points so you can track it yourself.

I'll create a backup folder and add that to the zip file so people won't have to do it themselves in the future.