GOG Install

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

GOG Install

the_stag
Rebel Alliance

Post by the_stag » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:02 am

Firstly, there's a black Friday sale on XWA at gog.com for $3.49. I've been playing with my old CD version but figured I'd "upgrade" for that price.

Second, there's 2 options for download the GOG Galaxy mode, and the "Offline Backup" download. Is there any reason to use one over the other? Advantages? Disadvantages? Or are they the same for the purposes of XWAU?

Thanks!

PS. I tried to do a search, but GOG is too short for the search engine. GOG.com doesn't search either, so sorry if this has been discussed before.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:07 am

They're identical. The Galaxy client installs the exact same thing the 'offline backup' does.

GOG Galaxy is a game client similar to Steam. If X-Wing Alliance is your only GOG game, there's no real point to go for Galaxy.

It's convenient if you own multiple GOG games.

Calmputer
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Calmputer » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:23 am

the "offline backup installer" is for when you want to keep a local copy of the installer that doesn't need the internet to install the game.
the actual game, once installed, is identical.. regardless of whether you use GOG Galaxy or the Offline installer.

the_stag
Rebel Alliance

Post by the_stag » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:43 pm

I figured as much. Thanks for that info.

Prime
XWAU Member

Post by Prime » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:17 pm

Just to mention about GOG Galaxy, you can tie it to the majority of other platforms (Steam and so on) and thus it can be your "global" game launcher, if you so choose. It isn't just for GOG games.