Original Tie Fighter 1998 GOG version

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Original Tie Fighter 1998 GOG version

danrevella
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by danrevella » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:53 am

Hi there!!
I do like the actual TFTC, but sometime I like to come back to the original Tie fighter win98 version.
So I install the gog version, but I have try any sort of patch, and I'm unable in obtain all working 100%
I would like:
1)- reorchestrated music version in menu
2)- reorchestrated music version during fly missions
3)-3d version working
But I'm unable in obtaining options 1 2 3 working together.
Please starting from the GOG version, there is a list of patch I may combine togheter to obtain ALL option working?
I'm on win 10
Many thanks for all
Dan

Calmputer
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Calmputer » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:15 pm

Hey,

The order you want to install them in is:

XWA DDRAW D3D11 (Enables 3D)
https://github.com/rdoeffinger/xwa_ddraw_d3d11/releases

Justagai's X-Wing Series 60 FPS fix (Gives you 60 FPS, rather than 24, might cause some wonkiness with *some* capital ships not firing)
https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/file ... 0-fps-fix/

TIE Fighter Reconstructed (Awesome music)
https://www.savingcontent.com/2014/08/0 ... dern-pc/7/

X-Wing & TIE Music Fix (this is probably the crucial part you're missing, this comes last and will overwrite the .EXE from Reconstructed)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wjj50h7v1cin6 ... x.zip?dl=0

I made a guide for it a while back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0yJQUHJVRM

danrevella
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by danrevella » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:36 pm

Many Thanks,
I have carefully execute all your instructions, BTW all is working, also in 3d but in the menus there is NO music, while music is now present during the fly sessions.....
I have also just try every resource you have out on your excellent guide on the tube, but I still have not solved the problem.....
Any other ideas please?
Thanks

Dan

Calmputer
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Calmputer » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:28 pm

I reinstalled the game + patches... and the background music in the concourse works for me.
but if I hit ESCAPE, the music cuts out and doesn't come back when I leave the escape menu... unless I go some place like the tech room.

is that what you're experiencing? or do you get no music at all in non-flying areas?

danrevella
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by danrevella » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:55 pm

Calmputer wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:28 pm
I reinstalled the game + patches... and the background music in the concourse works for me.
but if I hit ESCAPE, the music cuts out and doesn't come back when I leave the escape menu... unless I go some place like the tech room.

is that what you're experiencing? or do you get no music at all in non-flying areas?
The game start with NO music... even if I don't use escape, when I'm in the hangar there's no music, music become available during the fly session, but when I come back..... again there's no music... :-((((
BTW, if I take the ti95.exe who came with:
TieFighterReconstructedGOGEdition.zip
If I set NO 3D I get always music, but if Iswitch to 3d when I go in mission the game crash....

Calmputer
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Calmputer » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:33 pm

I installed it on another computer, and got the music on the concourse again and not in the esc-menu... BUT, going back from the esc-menu made the music re-appear, unlike on the first computer.
I did the installing on both computers exactly the same. with the same files (copied from one computer to the other).
So I reinstalled it on the first computer again from scratch, and it's working the same as on the second computer now.

Try reinstalling the game from scratch.

danrevella
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by danrevella » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:36 pm

here is how I solve the problem... (reinstalling the game was not succesfull...)
Load a cd emulator with TF95ReorchestratedMusic.bin+TF95ReorchestratedMusic.cue
I let the original tie95.exe from gog installation
apply: xwing_ddraw_d3d11_1.5.14.zip
Only copied from: TieFighterReconstructedGOGEdition.zip the music and voice, NOT the exe
Now all options work 100%
Many thanks for your help

Calmputer
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Calmputer » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:22 pm

Glad you got it working!

I'll keep your solution in mind if I ever get this problem as well... and see if that way of doing everything is easier/better/less-prone-to-problems than the way I have been doing it.

Old_Jedi
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Old_Jedi » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:00 pm

Hi - thanks for doing the YT tutorial.

I still enjoy flying the old X-wing platform trials and they do look lovely with the enhancements added. And my GOG Tie Fighter 1998 would not run at all on my win10 machine until I did all the fixes you listed.

Great work, and thanks to all the talented authors of the new files!

OJ

danrevella
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by danrevella » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:17 pm

I really do like TFTC 1.2, but there's a reason why many times I come back to the original Tie-Fighter: the camera!!!
Unfortunelly under XWA the camera is so limited....... Under the original we were really able in understand were we failed by tracking by multiple perspecive... It's a really pity XWA does NOT implemented all these options...
Have a good time

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:03 pm

You could use the Film Room. Hit SHIFT+F to start recording.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

danrevella
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by danrevella » Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:03 pm

Vince T wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:03 pm
You could use the Film Room. Hit SHIFT+F to start recording.
Thanks, yes, I know, but as I told you in XWA it has very limited functions...