Desktop Resolution Override

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Desktop Resolution Override

Redfox
Recruit

Post by Redfox » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:44 pm

First off I want to say hello to everyone as I am new to the forums. Secondly there is something I am trying to work out with my games configuration, and I am in need of assistance.

Currently the game defaults to the desktop resolution. Since I run my desktop in 4K, playing the game in 1080p requires changing the desktop resolution before launching the game. I am pretty sure this can be changed somewhere in the games files, if someone knowledgeable in these areas would kindly direct me to the solution it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Red Fox

Calmputer
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Calmputer » Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:03 pm

Have you tried going into the menu (ESC), Video, Single Player, and changing the resolution in there? (notice, you can't change this in a mission, only between missions).

Does it get reset every time you restart the game?

Chri360936
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Chri360936 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:22 pm

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:15 pm

It is currently not possible to run the game in anything other than you desktop resolution! If you run Windows at 4K the game will run in 4K.
All the resolution options in the game only control the HUD elements!
(So adjusting for your aspect ratio and making sure text is legible) If you want to run the game in something other than your native resolution you will have to change your windows resolution before starting the game.
There is a nifty little tool available that I use for that called Red-O-Matic (can be found here for example: https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/detail ... matic.html) It will create a shortcut that will change the resolution, start the application you want and changes it back once the application stops. Works pretty well on my end.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:33 pm

Maybe if you change the DPI settings you can force the game to run in a lower resolution while still keeping your desktop at 4K. RIght-click on xwingalliance.exe and check the Compatibility tab. It's a bit hard to tell but things will look more blocky and will run much much faster if you're running on a forced lower DPI