[Solved] Error while installing Magapack 2020

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

[Solved] Error while installing Magapack 2020

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:45 pm

Hi Ace,

I have tried to install MegaPack 2020 but at the end of installation I get this error:

In short the installation try to create a file that already exist.

Probably an automatic overwrite or a message like "the file xxx already exist. Overwrite ?" can solve the problem

Thanks !

bug.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ace Antilles on Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Solved

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:26 pm

I'm afraid I don't know. I'm not a tech guy on how every area of the installer work.
Trouble is there's way too many differences in peoples PC setups that can mess things up.
This is usually a permissions thing from having the game in a locked area etc.

1 - Restart your PC do nothing and try again.
2 - Delete / Move any desktop game shortcuts. That's been reported to be an issue.
3 - Make sure Steam / GoG etc are fully exited.
4 - Move the installer to a different location and try again.
5 - Copy your game folder to a different location and try again. You can copy it back over after if needed.
6 - Backup your game files / folder and do a fresh XWA installation which is what we say is a necessity before using our 2020 version.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:48 pm

Hi Ace,

"This is usually a permissions thing from having the game in a locked area etc."

Is not my case because the game is located on "G:" drive (I use it for games) and not "C:" the "G:" drive have a full permision.

The "System.IO.IOException" is a part of .net framework.

This is a common situation where is missing a

Try
{

}
Catch
{
}

In short there ia part of code where is not manage the a file system exception.

The programmer took it for granted that a file must not exist.

But in my case the file already exist (I don't known what is the file) and when the installer try to create the file, there is this error message.

I don't known the installer how it was made and by whom, but I can be sure that there is a call to a .net framework that try to create a file that already exist without check if already exist:

"System.IO.IOException impossibile creare un file se già esiste"
"System.IO.IOException cannot create a file if it already exists"

I hope is possible to solve it.

Thanks !

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:41 pm

Hi. I edited your picture so it can be seen easier.
This is not a common problem or there would be more cases reported.

Can you confirm you tried all suggestions I posted to make it work?
A fresh install has fixed many errors for example.
Step 5 for example is just simply copying. You don't need to uninstall XWA just duplicate the folder and tell 2020 to install to the new location.
If it worked you can copy the folder back.

Please can you also post which Windows you are using and which Game type. Windows 10, Steam, CD, Gog etc etc

@JeremyaFr and DTM made the installer but please remember we do this for fun, not hours of work and being paid, so he will take a look when he has some time. Thanks :)

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:09 pm

Hi Ace,

My version is GOG.

However I have a possible explanation about what happen:

In the previous installer of the last year I was alway see a message like:

"Is detected a previous version of XWUpgrape ships. Before proceed is necessary unistall it first. Do you want proceed ?"

And when I press yes, all work done.

But with the new installer Megapack 2020 this check was removed for some reason.

Is probably (I have not verify yet) that If I install a fresh version of XWA and after the Megapack 2020 I suppose that the installer will work good.

For the moment I like to keep my actual copy and not re-install fresh version of XWA to another folder.

I'am a also a programmer and it is normal that when you do a new update there is some bug solved and some other will be generated.

For what I have understand seem that, with the previous installer of last year you can update automatically independent by the existing content.

With this new version you need a fresh "XWA installer" to be sure that the installation will complete without errors.

However consider this a "feedback", about the time If I have waiting for years to see a wokring version of XWA for me is not a problem wait some other month to see fixed this issue.

Thanks !

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:56 pm

If you haven't removed any listings for XWAUCP then this is the issue.
The 2020 Mega Patch isn't compatible with it and it won't be in the future either. There have been too many changes and a total installer remake.
Ace Antilles wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:44 pm
XWAU 2020 Mega Patch:
Before installing we recommend you create a backup copy of your existing XW Alliance folder. If you have used the previous XWAUCP release then also uninstall the XWAUCP v1.6 patch from the control panel.
We suggest the best option to install the XWAU 2020 Mega Patch is onto a fresh original basic installation of XW Alliance.
You will need roughly 7GB of free space for installation. This is due to adding so many updates in one pack.
So that's your best option to try. You can copy over any custom edited files if needed possibly.
There won't be future updates to make it backwards compatible. Sorry

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:03 pm

Hi Ace,

Now is clear and I understand the reason.

I will do a fresh install first of XWA.

Thanks !

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:07 pm

marcop000 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:03 pm
Hi Ace, Now is clear and I understand the reason. I will do a fresh install first of XWA.Thanks !

Great. Post back if it worked ok.

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:44 pm

Hi Ace,

I confirm that after install a fresh version the installation complete successfully :)

But when I launch the game I notify some difference:

1) After setting the game and menu in 16:9 (that work). I see my upscaled cutscene in 4:3 with a wrong aspect ratio (My cutscene was design to run in 16:9 and not in 4:3).
2) If I start the first mission I don't see a remastered cockpit but the original old cockpit. If I start the simulator I see a remaster cockpit.

Apart this I have question: In general all remaster work is excellent, but the only think that I like to restore is the enemy craft in the target.

Now I see a "monocrome" image that is not bad, but to be honest I like to original style. This is the only think that I like to restore for the rest is perfect.

P.S.

I like to restore my pilot with the progess that I have in another folder. Is possible do it ? If yes how ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:02 pm

marcop000 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:44 pm
Hi Ace, I confirm that after install a fresh version the installation complete successfully :)
But when I launch the game I notify some difference:

1) After setting the game and menu in 16:9 (that work). I see my upscaled cutscene in 4:3 with a wrong aspect ratio (My cutscene was design to run in 16:9 and not in 4:3).
2) If I start the first mission I don't see a remastered cockpit but the original old cockpit. If I start the simulator I see a remaster cockpit.

Apart this I have question: In general all remaster work is excellent, but the only think that I like to restore is the enemy craft in the target.
Now I see a "monocrome" image that is not bad, but to be honest I like to original style. This is the only think that I like to restore for the rest is perfect.
P.S. I like to restore my pilot with the progess that I have in another folder. Is possible do it ? If yes how ?
I've been informed the issue you were having before has been fixed in Update v1.1 but it still needs tweaking for the 2020 release.
I suggest reading this post. https://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 34&t=13107

Before doing anything install Update 1.1 as it's needed for bug fixes and new stuff.

Open Babu Frik's Configurator and set graphics options and aspect ratio etc in that.
You can turn the wireframe targetting on and off there too.

Copy your PLT pilot file over and load it from the launcher.

I don't know what you mean about cockpit as there has been no XWAU YT1300 cockpits created or released by us so far.

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:40 pm

Hi Ace,

About your response:

1) Before doing anything install Update 1.1 as it's needed for bug fixes and new stuff.

This is the first think that I have done before do any test.

2) Open Babu Frik's Configurator and set graphics options and aspect ratio etc in that.

I don't sure to understand but I try to explain better:

After install the megapack and update I see in 16/9 game, menu and cutscene. But If I replace the old low resulution cutscene with my (that as you known are in Hi Resolution the video play in 4:3 that is not the right resolution).

If with " Babu Frik's Configurator" there is a section like "choose a cutscene resolution" or similar I will check and I will let you known.

3) Copy your PLT pilot file over and load it from the launcher.

Already done and all work thank you !

4) I don't know what you mean about cockpit as there has been no XWAU YT1300 cockpits created or released by us so far.

I was thinked that a YT1300 cockpits was already remastered. But if no my screenshot is normal. So it is ok.

At the moment the only issue that I hope will be fix is the incorrect cutscene aspect ratio for hi res cutscene.

About this, in the next weeks or later I was think to do a updated version (60 FPS) of all cutscene (and for this I include the ingame cutscene).

This becouse the AI algorithm is improved.

But I can start this job only when I can play correcly all cutscene like in the previous version.

Thanks !

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:08 pm

Update:

I have found where is the problem:

In the file: "TGSmush.cfg"

For default setting there is:

//
; PreserveAspectRatio = 0 (no) or 1 (yes)
; When set to 0, the display will be stretched.
; When set to 1, the aspect ratio will be preserved.
PreserveAspectRatio = 1
//

But to see my cutscene in 16:9 you need to set to 0.

This probably was happen to other users.

Now is all clear.

I will let you known when will be ready the next updated version of new cuscene upscaled.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:28 pm

marcop000 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:08 pm
Update: I have found where is the problem:
In the file: "TGSmush.cfg"
For default setting there is:
//
PreserveAspectRatio = 1
//
But to see my cutscene in 16:9 you need to set to 0.
This probably was happen to other users.
Now is all clear.
I will let you known when will be ready the next updated version of new cuscene upscaled.
Ah I see now. I had forgotten all about that setting. If you are updating the cutscenes then I will set that setting to default for the HD ones.
The YT cockpit you are referring to was on Youtube made by someone else, not XWAU. The creator needs to make it clearer that it's not by us. It's not been released.
Look forward to seeing what you can do on the videos :)

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:18 pm

Perfect,

I suggest do to the some for ddraw.cfg

//
PreserveAspectRatio = 0
//

Becouse after setteing in the installation options set "set the config to 16:9" the game the first time was run in 4:3.

But I have remember this setting and I was changed it manually from "1" to "0".

About the millenium Falcon, I have never seen it remastered to youtube but becouse is the first mission I was thinked that was already remastered, and this already confirmed by the progress page that show 100% of rebel crafts done.

P.S.

I notify you another very small detail that probably is not important:

While I shoot with millenium falcon the laser cannon on the left all crafts in the screen flash and not only the ships on the left but also the all the ships on the right.

This is a bit unreal.

I found this light effect very good, but in this case don't match the real circumstances, becouse the light on right ships when shoot is somewhat unlikely.

Like the previous consider this as only a "feedback" but with a low importance.