Multiplayer or General Performance tips?

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Multiplayer or General Performance tips?

noddynod443
Recruit

Post by noddynod443 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:27 am

Does anyone have any tips for multiplayer performance or just overall performance in general?
I am experiencing some "lag" problems in multiplayer where fighter movement is "glitchy" for the host player making it very difficult to target enemy fighters when their location is lagging.

Also, use of the s-foil open/close key causes the game to pause briefly to send info to the other players. This brief pause can happen randomly as well during dogfights.
My average FPS in a multiplayer skirmish with just to players 6 bots is 25fps.

My specs are:

dell optiplex 780
nividia geforce gt 730 2gb gddr5 16bit
intel 9650 cpu
16gb ddr3 ram
1tb standard hd
* I am also using a multiseat software (ibik aster) to allow for two users to simultaneously use one pc as though it were two.
This doesn't have a major affect on performance and I have 60 fps on newer games.

I am networking by IPX via ipxwrapper.

Here is a short video where the glitchy fighter movement and low fps can be observed: https://youtu.be/kQYzC4Q2Duc

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:04 am

Have you tried multiplayer but using Jeremy's Golden Standard ddraw? (You can select this ddraw using the Babu Frik configurator)

Does this also happen when playing single player?

noddynod443
Recruit

Post by noddynod443 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:43 pm

blue_max wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:04 am
Have you tried multiplayer but using Jeremy's Golden Standard ddraw? (You can select this ddraw using the Babu Frik configurator)

Does this also happen when playing single player?
I am not able to find Jeremy's Golden Standard ddraw when I start the Babu Frik's Configurator. I only see customizing of several starships, weapons, effects, and graphic resolution.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Also, singleplayer had been 100% perfect. 60fps, no problems. Only high latency and 25fps in multiplayer via ipxwrapper and tcp/ip.

Edit:
I found Jeremy's Golden Standard ddraw. It was in the special effects optinon to disable all bluemax effects. Now in multiplayer I get a steady 60-75 fps! Might not have extra fancy cockpits, and target tracking, but now it runs much better.

Also, I still get high latency/ lag for a brief second when opening and closing s-foils or and switching to the millennium falcons gunner turret causes choppy display. Are these two things considered normal?

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:05 pm

You can install Jeremy's Golden Standard ddraw by disabling all graphical effects in the Configurator.
“Red Four, nothing’s gone wrong yet.”
— Hobbie Klivian

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:25 am

noddynod443 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:43 pm
Edit:
I found Jeremy's Golden Standard ddraw. It was in the special effects optinon to disable all bluemax effects. Now in multiplayer I get a steady 60-75 fps! Might not have extra fancy cockpits, and target tracking, but now it runs much better.
Alright, let's try something then: re-enable the Blue Max ddraw, and then go to your XWA install directory and rename "Hook_CockpitLook.dll" to "Hook_CockpitLook.dxx". That should disable all head-tracking functionality. There might be other problems that need to be fixed for multiplayer in my ddraw, but let's start there.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:36 pm

Multiplayer has always been a tricky thing with XWA.
From my memory for the best results both players have to use the exact same setup for best results.
So same effects, ships, etc. The people that still play Multiplayer often don't use the XWAU in their setup so it plays well.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost