[Solved] Slow fps with asteroids on screen

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

[Solved] Slow fps with asteroids on screen

Muahaha
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Muahaha » Mon May 31, 2021 9:00 am

Helo,

First of all, a big thank you for all the effort done onto this game, I last played this back in 1999 when it was just released. Having back all the good memories I had plus more with the new wonderful improvements made. So big thumbs up from me to the modders of this game.

I have been reading the forum and have been tweaking the various effect parameters such as SSAO shaders and CPU affinity to increase my fps, managed to get into a sweet spot but when playing on missions with asteroid field loaded on screen the game experiences stuttering with low fps.

Tried without shader effect, the fps increases slightly but still stutters, hence suspecting it might be the high res asteroids.

Question I have is whether there is a guide in this forum on how to replace those asteroids/models with lower fidelity ones?
Last edited by Ace Antilles on Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Solved

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon May 31, 2021 10:35 am

To replace the Asteroids you would have to go to the Backup folder and the Update 4 folder there.
Then copy the old Asteroid opts back to the Flightmodels folder.

The good news is @blue_max already altered the new Asteroids to have a low detail LOD added.
He made amazing looking rocks but a little too high detailed for some computers.
The new altered versions will be available in Update 4.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Muahaha
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Muahaha » Mon May 31, 2021 11:24 am

Thanks for the quick response.

Indeed those asteroids are wonderfully crafted, I will be eagerly waiting for the next iteration to test them out again.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon May 31, 2021 6:00 pm

Muahaha wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 11:24 am
Indeed those asteroids are wonderfully crafted, I will be eagerly waiting for the next iteration to test them out again.
We're still working on fixing the asteroids, but you can try these low-poly versions in the meantime:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8maokv08j4qv8 ... s.zip?dl=0

That should fix your performance problems while we work on Update 4. Just make sure you make a backup copy of your current asteroids before replacing them.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Mon May 31, 2021 9:05 pm

Blue, brainstorming... is there possibility in future we could create a true asteroid field like Hoth system etc. with more than just the 4,5, or 6 different asteroid type models and in combination with DDraw of manifesting asteroids in the background using the .dat animations with random vector paths ? Would also be cool to add some slow rotations to the mesh.opts. Performance could be addressed with multiple level LOD meshes down to really basic shapes for far way .opt rendering. Rest could be .dats floating in background. :-) Just ideas to ponder on. I think the .opt model rotation could be achieved the way hyperbouys and G-pads, etc. there is a setting I think it's type "16." I'll have to look at that later.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Muahaha
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Muahaha » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:05 am

blue_max wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 6:00 pm
Muahaha wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 11:24 am
We're still working on fixing the asteroids, but you can try these low-poly versions in the meantime:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8maokv08j4qv8 ... s.zip?dl=0

That should fix your performance problems while we work on Update 4. Just make sure you make a backup copy of your current asteroids before replacing them.
Wonderful, I'll give it a try.

Update:
Happy to report that the new low res asteroids helps, the screen loaded with asteroids is rather smooth and very playable.
Again thanks.