[SOLVED] Cannot install XWA Upgrade Megapatch

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

[SOLVED] Cannot install XWA Upgrade Megapatch

Bubburner
Recruit

Post by Bubburner » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:35 pm

*edit* This was resolved by following both of the replies below.

Hello,

I am trying to install this for the first time and it is failing every time. I am surprised that after a lot of searching I haven't found any examples of anyone with the same issue which makes me think I'm being stupid but I just cannot figure it out. I'm trying to install the mega patch on a fresh install of the game on Steam.

I select the folder I want to install the patch after running it from my download folder, it gets to the end of the 1st part then I get the attached error message every time about permissions. I've tried amending the access permissions of the .exe it is complaining about but it's no good as another attempt just creates a new backup folder timestamped to the second (so I cannot even try to spoof the file it is creating and then failing to access).

I'm really stumped. Can anyone help please?

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bubburner on Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:53 pm

Make sure Steam isn't running when you install as it will mess it up.
Always play XWAU from it's own shortcut and not Steams.
Try running the installer as an Admin and see if that helps
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:53 pm

There can be a few issues here. First up, have you started the game once through steam? I recommend you do that. Second, once you've done that it's actually a good idea to copy your XWA folder outside of steam. Maybe just make a "D:\X-Wing Alliance" Folder.
Then when starting the patch try running it as admin. (So not just being an admin, but actually right clicking the executable and choosing "Run as administrator")
Let us know if that changed anything.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Bubburner
Recruit

Post by Bubburner » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:33 pm

Thank you very much both. At first it still didn't work but after doing yet another fresh install, rebooting my machine and launching the exe file from the desktop (as administrator as suggested) it finally worked. I can't say for certain which solution (or if both solutions) did the trick but ultimately I got there. Thank you very much for your help.