[HELP] To stop spinning, I Have to set Rudder Enable to No, then get killed, then to Yes, every time

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

[HELP] To stop spinning, I Have to set Rudder Enable to No, then get killed, then to Yes, every time

Llama
Recruit

Post by Llama » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:22 pm

Hi All,

So I've done a fresh install of the GoG edition of XWA in my Windows 10 machine. I then installed XWAU2020, then Update 4, and then TFTC 1.0 and then TFTC Update 1.1, following the July 2021 YouTube Video for installing TFTC. But so far, I am just trying to get XWA working with my controllers properly.

I have a lot of USB-converted joysticks and throttles using Aduinos, plus Thrustmaster's current pedal set. I use them just fine with old games like Aces High, and current games like Elite Dangerous. For some older games, I use Joystick Gremlin and the VJoy driver to convert multiple controller devices into one controller. I mention all this so you know I am no stranger to configuring my HOTAS stuff for all sorts of games.

I am able to use the Joystick Configurator to assign Pitch and Roll axes to my flight stick, and Yaw to my pedals, without needed Joystick Gremlin. I figure I will eventually be able to map thrust to my throttle axis. So far, none of this is the problem I'm looking for help on.

Here's the problem. When I start piloting a fighter (I'm using the Single user Simulator for testing this - I assume that isn't a problem?) the fighter will immediately start spinning in the Pitch axis, no matter what I do to the joystick, or even if I do not have Pitch mapped to a controller. If I hit the Escape button and from in in game menu, I choose Game Controller Options, and then set Rudder Enabled to "No" and then return to the game, the fighter stops spinning, but my view is no longer out the cockpit window. Pitch and Yaw will still work, but then Roll won't do anything.

Next, after a few moments, enemy TIE fighters will blow me up, and I'm in a fresh fighter, looking out the cockpit. Good. But Roll still won't work. UNTIL... I go back into the in game menu, choose Game Controller Options, and then set Rudder Enabled back to Yes. Then I return to my fighter, and I can see out the cockpit, and all the controls (Roll, Pitch, Yaw) work fine.

But if I quit the game, I have to do this all over again.

I assume I am doing something wrong. What is it?

Thanks,
Llama

Llama
Recruit

Post by Llama » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:35 am

So I have a solution, but it introduces another problem.

The solution is to toggle the "Use POV as regular buttons" option on the Joystick Configurator page so that it is checked - that stops the endless spinning.

The problem now is whenever I tap a key on the keyboard, the view in the cockpit "rotates" a few degrees up with every keypress. Anyone know what's up with that?

Haakan
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Haakan » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:34 pm

I'm having this issue as well.
Lt. Colonel A. Araujo
Commander, 7th SpecOps Squadron "Alpha"
Battlegroup I
Emperor's Hammer.

CMDR/LC Alejandro Araujo/Alpha/Wing I/ISDII Hammer/BGI

Llama
Recruit

Post by Llama » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:52 pm

Which issue? The "rotate the screen when keyboard tapped" issue?

platformking
Recruit

Post by platformking » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:21 pm

Having the same issue but only after installing the November 4.0 update patch. Joystick worked fine on vanilla from GoG, still good with the XWAU mega installer.

What solutions have people had?

Xoriss
Recruit

Post by Xoriss » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:53 am

Just wanted to chime in and say I'm having a very similar problem with the latest patch as well. X56 HOTAS mapped with Gremlin into vJoy. I can get it to mostly work fine, but its the POV that keeps spinning for me. I've gotten it to stop spinning using the same trick previously mentioned, but my yaw will randomly stop working after. It also seems to misinterpret certain inputs - the throttle doesn't do anything, and a couple of my button inputs are off by a button somehow, but only in game.

AstroNomad
Recruit

Post by AstroNomad » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:33 pm

Same here as the posts above:

I get the endless POV spinning (on its pitch axis, not the ships);
and also no throttle input regardless of it being set using the sam vjoy that works for pitch, yaw, roll.

Moreover, I can confirm the issue when using keyboard presses which shift the cockpit view, bit by bit. There is also a small 'flash' (likely a frame drop) after each keyboard press.

I am using the Steam version on Win 10 with XWAUP + Update 4 (So I don't think it's the TFTC).

WarHawkster
Lieutenant JG

Post by WarHawkster » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:07 pm

Hey guys, I had the same problem and I narrowed it down to the POV1 button presets in the joystick config assigned to virtual cockpit look buttons. I set them all to no function and that made the cockpits function normally.

FurtFan86
Recruit

Post by FurtFan86 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:44 am

I have similar problems. Currently I use

- 1 Thrustmaster T16000 Righthand
- 1 Thrustmaster T16000 Lefthand
- 1 Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle
- 1 MGF Crosswind Pedals

I use them for DCS, Star Citizen and Star Wars Squadrons. Each unit works flawlessly.

In XWA upgrade with the 4.0 update unfortunately not. I can see and assign each device in Xwa Joystick Config. Unfortunately, the X-axis for the Yaw or Roll always rotates the cockpit to the right around its own axis or in the direction. It does not matter which device I select for the axes. Deactivating the rudder stops the roll or turn, but I still cannot roll or turn in the direction I want. I can no longer do anything with the axis.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Best regards

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:05 pm

Wait, I have a suspicion. Everyone who had this issue was using vJoy, right?
“Red Four, nothing’s gone wrong yet.”
— Hobbie Klivian

FurtFan86
Recruit

Post by FurtFan86 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:22 pm

No, i dont't use vJoy with Joystick Gremlin, just the normal joystick drivers

Darkblue
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Darkblue » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:57 pm

I wanted to add that I have also the POV spinning, and, as reported, if POV1 is set to none in Joystick Configurator, the spinning is over, it seems a bug.
But I have also the problem of rudder, the rudder seems to be always spinning and if I assign the rudder axis to the pedals axis 0 or 1 (pedal brakes), it keeps spinning but I can spin in the other direction using the related pedal brake axis (although when I release it, it keeps spinning, so it is not usable).

But there is another problem, I can't assign the rudder axis of pedals to the Roll axis of Joystick Configurator. In fact I can assign (device 1 = Pedals, axis = 2) but Joystick Configurator seems to ignore eit, thee runner in game keeps spinning and I can't control it at all.

I use a Logitech G940 which works normally in other games. I don't use Joystick Gremlin, nor vJoy.

Darkblue
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Darkblue » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:22 am

Update: the POV problem is gone without need to set to None to POV1, I am not too sure how, but maybe when I deleted the JoystickConfig.txt and recreated it, or by reinstalling the joystick software.

But regarding the ruder pedals spinning is solved using 3 for the rudder axis in Joystick Configurator. I don't know why if pedals' brake axis are 0 and 1, why the third axis is not 2. But if using 2, we have spinning problem, by using 3 everything works fine. The idea came reading through this thread viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12446

I wanted to explain, just in case it helps someone.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:32 pm

Darkblue wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:22 am
Update: the POV problem is gone without need to set to None to POV1, I am not too sure how, but maybe when I deleted the JoystickConfig.txt and recreated it, or by reinstalling the joystick software.

But regarding the ruder pedals spinning is solved using 3 for the rudder axis in Joystick Configurator. I don't know why if pedals' brake axis are 0 and 1, why the third axis is not 2. But if using 2, we have spinning problem, by using 3 everything works fine. The idea came reading through this thread viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12446

I wanted to explain, just in case it helps someone.
Thanks for your feedback.
Getting new controllers to work on XWA has been very tricky but worth it for the people who can now use them. :)
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

farbinator
Recruit

Post by farbinator » Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:22 am

Greetings! A bit of a thread resurrection but I wanted to add my solution to this problem as I was encountering the same issue.

What finally worked for me was in the Joystick configurator, I un-assigned all of the POV hat commands (0, None, No Function) then I could uncheck the "Use POV Hat as Buttons" and have the rudder enabled in the in game menu. Not having the POV hat assigned on my joystick is not a deal breaker as I use a gaming keypad for that function, not having my joystick rudder was not an option for me. Now, no endless cockpit spinning, no view up on every keypress, and I have my rudder.