Battle 5 Mission 3 and 4 graphics issue

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Battle 5 Mission 3 and 4 graphics issue

NeoSephiroth
Recruit

Post by NeoSephiroth » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:00 pm

Hi, I recently installed XWAU 2020 Mega Patch and the Update 4.0 and so far I am really impressed what you did to this old game. It looks amazing.
However, when playing Battle 5 Mission 3 and 4, the graphics are broken. There is no environment light at all, so you cannot see your own cockpit or any other space crafts. The only lights working is the sunlight and the weapon lights. Also the HUD on both sides of the X-Wing dynamic cockpit is blurred completely and unreadable.
I attached 2 screenshots showing the problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:52 pm

Mhm strange, does this always happen? I just tried both missions and they worked just fine on my end.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

NeoSephiroth
Recruit

Post by NeoSephiroth » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:57 pm

Only those 2 missions so far. And I can't test the later missions because Battle 5 Mission 4 is unplayable with this issue.
I will test with a cheat pilot later if any other missions are affected as well.

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:11 pm

NeoSephiroth wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:57 pm
Only those 2 missions so far. And I can't test the later missions because Battle 5 Mission 4 is unplayable with this issue.
I will test with a cheat pilot later if any other missions are affected as well.
ah no, I meant if it always happens with those two missions. But I take this as a yes then. There were issues with bugged or broken dat files that I know if. It might be worth trying to reinstall the game and XWAU. Just make sure you copy your pilot somewhere save first.

NeoSephiroth
Recruit

Post by NeoSephiroth » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:22 pm

Just tested a bit again. Battle 6 Mission 1 has the issue as well.
I will try to reinstall everything now.

NeoSephiroth
Recruit

Post by NeoSephiroth » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:08 pm

Reinstalled everything (game, xwau 2020 and update 4.0), still the same issue in exact the same missions.

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:57 pm

@blue_max any idea what could cause this? The missions work fine on my end.

@NeoSephiroth can you try and disable the effects in BabuFrik and see if the issue still persists.

NeoSephiroth
Recruit

Post by NeoSephiroth » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:11 pm

I already did that. I disabled only the new shaders completely and the issue is gone...together with the new shaders. =P
As a workaround I will disable the shaders for those missions with issues and re-enable them for the rest of the missions.
Also I will update here which missions are affected.
So far it's:
Battle 5 Mission 3 and 4
Battle 6 Mission 1

Oh and btw., I'm on Win7 64-Bit, Intel Core I7 4790K, 32GB DDR3 Ram, AMD Radeon Fury X (Driver Version 21.5.2 (latest)).

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:17 pm

Okay, so it's an issue with the new effects, that's something that max will hopefully have an idea about. The missions themselves should be fine, and if a reinstall didn't fix it there's most likely no corruption.

NeoSephiroth
Recruit

Post by NeoSephiroth » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:53 pm

Hm, it seems it was an driver issue. I reinstalled the AMD drivers and now it works fine. Maybe the drivers were corrupt.

NeoSephiroth
Recruit

Post by NeoSephiroth » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:00 am

Well, it fixed those missions, but now battle 6 mission 1 has the issue when you start from the liberty. After the jump into the next sector it's gone....I don't get it >.<

Battle 5 mission 7 was a desaster as well in another way now....not winable because stormunit selfdestructs at a certain point...no matter what I do.
There is the same problem in Battle 4 mission 1. If you are not fast enough there to bring Aron to the Vergesso asteroid base and jumping back to the Liberty, one of your transporters sefldestructs and you can't finish the mission. You can be fast enough to outrun that problem there...but that's impossible in battle 5 mission 7.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:55 pm

NeoSephiroth wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:11 pm
Battle 5 Mission 3 and 4
Battle 6 Mission 1

Oh and btw., I'm on Win7 64-Bit, Intel Core I7 4790K, 32GB DDR3 Ram, AMD Radeon Fury X (Driver Version 21.5.2 (latest)).
I'll take a look at those missions, but there's always been issues with Windows 7. For some reason, some shading instructions are implemented slightly different in that system and then things like this start happening.

As a quick workaround, you can press Ctrl+Alt+O to toggle most of the effects. That should at least allow you to play the offending missions.

buzzoid
Recruit

Post by buzzoid » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:36 am

Throwing myself into this topic. :)

I have the exact same issues with B5 M3+M4. In M3, it is only in that sector where I have to pick up the bomb. Later at Emon's prison the issue is gone. M4 has it as soon I leave the hangar though, no matter which sector I'm in. Up until these two missions, I had no issues at all. Can't speak for future missions though as I haven't played further yet.

The effect toggling shortcut helps. Still, I wanted to mention it as I have a bit different hardware than Neo has. I'm on Win 10 with 16 GB RAM and NVIDIA GTX 970 (4GB). I installed the latest drivers but it didn't change anything.