[Solved] Space bomb sound effect when switching to map

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

[Solved] Space bomb sound effect when switching to map

Destex
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Destex » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:47 pm

Hi all!

There are two weird phenomenons when switching to the in-flight tactical map. I searched the forums but didn't find a similar report.

1. The sound effect of launching a space-bomb is played.
2. The craft slows down (maybe as a result of the AI taking over?). Now that's uncool if you are counting on your speed while you view the map and a pesty starfighter takes you out :)

I suppose that's not by design so I'd thought to report it.
I'm running TFTC v1.1 for XWA 2.02, but I noticed these issue ever since I started playing XWA Upgrade Project 5 years ago. Maybe these are even vanilla bugs...
Last edited by Ace Antilles on Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Solved

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:58 pm

I think you will find the sound is a vanilla thing.

Many sounds are used for a few areas. That's what made making my Sound Upgrade from my site so difficult.
So it's either have a good bomb sound or a map one. The bomb is obviously the better choice.

Speed issues I'm not sure on but again worth trying in vanilla XWA
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Destex
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Destex » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:45 pm

Thanks for the quick reply!
Ace Antilles wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:58 pm
So it's either have a good bomb sound or a map one. The bomb is obviously the better choice.
I might be missing out something here, but why would a bomb sound be a better choice when you simply open a map? I understand from your reply that there is a map sound?

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:05 pm

Destex wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:45 pm
Ace Antilles wrote:
I might be missing out something here, but why would a bomb sound be a better choice when you simply open a map? I understand from your reply that there is a map sound?
I think he may mean we have no choice in the matter, the game automatically assigns the space bomb sound to the map.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:16 pm

Destex wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:45 pm
Ace Antilles wrote:
I've checked and both these things are vanilla items working as intended.
I assume it slows you down while in the map so you don't get too far out of control.

When you open the map you get a beep, when you close it then it plays BOMBFIRE.wav.
It also does this when you enter the Falcon turrets. Maybe other places, the game uses sounds in various areas.
So you have to choose if you want your Bombs to sound like "beep boop" or a Bomb firing sound.
Sadly we can't change the map close sound to something else.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Destex
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Destex » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:54 pm

Thanks for taking the time to look into this!