[Solved] New Patch for XWA doesn't get past loading screen

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

[Solved] New Patch for XWA doesn't get past loading screen

Irez87
Recruit

Post by Irez87 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:15 am

I get the following screen when I try to launch a mission, skirmish, or anything:

"Direct3DTexture::Load

The GPU device instance has been suspended. Use GetDeviceRemovedReason to determine the following action."

Before I loaded the most recent patch, The X Wing Alliance Upgrade and Tie Fighter Total Conversion worked perfectly.

I have a Dell XPS 13

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7100U CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz

64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows 10 Home

How can I fix this issue? I was really excited to see the new build of XWA.
Last edited by Ace Antilles on Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Solved

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:57 am

@Irez87 mhm, haven't seen that issue before. Can you go into Babu Frik and disable the effects just to see if that solves the issue? Then at least we'll have a starting point to look where the problem might be coming from.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Irez87
Recruit

Post by Irez87 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:42 pm

Disabling the effects allows the game to launch into a mission, but the YT-1300 still has a basic cockpit.

Does effects off mean that it just loads the base game?

The updated cockpits of the other ships properly loaded and everything worked fine in the first MEGA PATCH Upgrade.

Patch 4.O is where I run into that issue.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:55 pm

We are now onto Update 5. not 4.
Are you using a laptop or tower?
What graphics card do you have in your machine?
What game version are you using? Gog, CD, Steam etc? And do you have those closed before installation.
Do you already have TFTC installed or just XWAU?
We really need as much info as possible to help.

The best thing to do is to make copy of your current XWAU/TFTC folder with a new name.
Reinstall XWA fresh. Just vanilla XWA. Run game. Then turn OFF steam, gog etc
Copy that XWA folder and call it say XWAU.
Install XWAU Mega Patch 2020 to the new XWAU folder. Not the original vanilla game.
DON'T install TFTC
Load a pilot, Cheater for example. Test game in flight.
Install XWAU Update 5 to the XWAU folder.
Test game.
Then go to Babu Frik and set basic resolutions and basic effect options only.
Then we can tell what went wrong where.

Backup pilot files to another folder too.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:00 pm

Irez87 wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:42 pm
Disabling the effects allows the game to launch into a mission, but the YT-1300 still has a basic cockpit.
The YT-1300 is supposed to have a basic cockpit. It hasn't been updated to anything fancier.
If you have seen videos online they are not from the XWAU but another mod that hasn't been released.

The Millennium Falcon cockpit has changed. You will be sat next to Chewbacca but that's not the YT1300 in mission 1

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:37 pm

@blue_max any idea what could cause this? Any other suggestions as to were to look for clues?

Toastman93
Recruit

Post by Toastman93 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:37 pm

same issue here.

Desktop PC Acer
i7-6700T CPU
8 gb ram
win 10 64 bit
intel HD Graphics 530 *onboard
open gl 4.5
open cl 2.1
Got the stand alone game from GOG, all turned off. Have TFTC installed but not played. Been going through the SWA first.
Update 4 worked just fine. Disabling effects with Babu makes the game work. Trying any type of customizing the effects gives an installation error. Will try your other suggestions though.
Last edited by Toastman93 on Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:44 pm

@Irez87 What GPU do you have? Do you also have an APU (Sop CPU&GPU in one from Intel?)

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:43 pm

I believe at the end of the day this issue could just be the change in features and improvements made in Update 5.
The latest Ddraw from Blue Max has even cooler features than Update 4 had, so it needs more grunt I expect too.

My own laptop has intel HD Graphics onboard and crashes.
Things are getting more and more powerful and going beyond what works on a simple low end on-board graphics card. They aren't great for overall gaming.

This may not be the case but it does seem likely.
We've discussed future updates to deal with lower powered machines. As well as looking into new ways to help use 3D too.
But if anyone is not using a dedicated extra 3D graphics card now, then you really should get one.
Otherwise you will not be able to use a lot of the new features we add. Sorry :(

If you search "GetDeviceRemovedReason" on the forum you will see others have had this kinda issue before.
It's either to do with the Ddraw or most of the time the graphics in the computer being underpowered.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:25 pm

Irez87 wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:15 am
I have a Dell XPS 13
A quick search for this model shows that this laptop doesn't have a discrete GPU -- it only has the integrated Intel graphics. So I'm afraid that's the root cause of the problem here. You'll have to get a system with a decent GPU or disable the effects altogether using the Babu Frik configurator.

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:45 pm

@Toastman93 I am afraid the above comment from blue_max is the root cause of your issue as well. The newest ddraw needs more up-to-date and powerful features than your APU can provide :( I am afraid only solution is to disable the effects from max.

Irez87
Recruit

Post by Irez87 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:07 pm

Is there a way to got back to my previous version before patch 5 or do I have to start fresh and delete everything?

Irez87
Recruit

Post by Irez87 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:23 pm

by the way, this project is STILL awesome!

If I need to reinstall to get back to the previous working version and redownload the TIE Fighter Conversion, so be it.

Just let me know if I can save time by not doing that :)

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:43 am

Irez87 wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:07 pm
Is there a way to got back to my previous version before patch 5 or do I have to start fresh and delete everything?
Go to the BACKUP folder in the XWA folder.
It should have a new folder for XWAU Update 5. So you can copy stuff from there back into the relevant XWA folders.

Suggestion. Make a backup folder before doing so.
There's a few things you can try out because most of Update 5 will still be compatible with your system I expect.

Try copying and replacing to your Update 4 these files from Backup:
EffectsConfigurator folder
Ddraw.dll

Then test out things in game.
The only things I can think of that might cause issues are some of the explosion stuff and maybe some Dynamic Cockpits.
Most of the other items are just updates. So give it a go and you can probably get most of it working :)

Irez87
Recruit

Post by Irez87 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:04 am

The special effects worked in the 4th update, so I might just do a full reinstall. I have another game that is heavily modded, and I had to do the same.

All good.

The third or fourth mission, where you have to inventory parts for your sister (?) -- I could never get past that mission. The guy just escapes... might it be that I was missing something in the mission or triggering a skipped step or something?

Anyway, very cool upgrade. My 3 year old loves "flying spaceships" in the game--until she gets scared of the dark, that is.

I still remember playing the X-wing training many decades ago. The Tie Conversion that was built over XWAU is a totally HOOT. Better than whatever the heck is being passed off as StarWars space sims these days. Think there will be something like that for X-Wing?