[Solved] XWAU does not launch at all after installing v5.5

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

[Solved] XWAU does not launch at all after installing v5.5

guru_redeye
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by guru_redeye » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:03 am

v5.0 works flawlessly. I'm exactly experiencing this after installing v5.5 except there's no XWA related error in Event Viewer and Windows 10 DEP is turned on for essential Windows programs and services only. No TFTC installed in this XWAU folder.
Last edited by Ace Antilles on Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Solved

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:59 am

If no event viewer message appears it shouldn't be a DEP issue. I am afraid your best bet is to backup your pilot and then do a clean XWA install, start the game, install XWAU 2020, test the game, Upgrade Patch 5, test again, and finally install 5.5 and hope that it will then run...
So far we've not experiences any issues with the installer, but there does appear to be the case that sometimes you just have to reinstall everything :(
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:03 pm

Just to make sure: Are you using the Steam version? If so, do not run the game from Steam but instead use the shortcut that was created with the patch.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

guru_redeye
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by guru_redeye » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:20 pm

Forceflow wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:59 am
If no event viewer message appears it shouldn't be a DEP issue. I am afraid your best bet is to backup your pilot and then do a clean XWA install, start the game, install XWAU 2020, test the game, Upgrade Patch 5, test again, and finally install 5.5 and hope that it will then run...
So far we've not experiences any issues with the installer, but there does appear to be the case that sometimes you just have to reinstall everything :(
Thanks for the reply, Forceflow, I'm so desperate that may be I'll try a reinstall although I am "famous of paranoidly keeping" my XWAU as clean as possible, I even keep up two particular folders for XWAU and TFTC and I switch between them with a batchfile script that uses mklink commands (been doing this for a long time). I see no reason/event for any unwanted change in filecontent.
Vince T wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:03 pm
Just to make sure: Are you using the Steam version? If so, do not run the game from Steam but instead use the shortcut that was created with the patch.
I use the GOG version, Vince T, never had the Steam version.

Again, guys keep in mind that v5.0 works flawlessly for me (I've been rolled back and I'm on it now). Thx again for replying, tho.

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:12 am

It doesn't have to be an issue with your existing installation being messed up on your end. Sometimes things just go wrong but we haven't figured out why. That's why we recommend a reinstall. Could be an unusual combination of settings or maybe just the moon being in the wrong position ;) hope it will work, if not we'll have to see if there is a crashdump available and find a way for you to send that to us. Jeremya might be able to help when he can have a look at it. But for now a reinstall is your best option I think.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

guru_redeye
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by guru_redeye » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:07 pm

Ok guys I've puzzled it out. Problem solved and it was kind of unique on my end.

The Details
I have quite a few versions of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable installed on my comp including the x64 version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2022 Redistributable of which I didn't have the x86 version installed as I didn't need it for any software or game. I've yet installed it recently for experimental reasons then I've uninstalled it again. Believe it or not, this was the cause XWAU v5.5 didn't launch while v5.0 did.

I have simply reinstalled the x86 version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2022 Redistributable and this got XWAU v5.5 work. :D

Thx for your time and replies, guys, anyway.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:58 pm

Thank you for the feedback