[Solved] Audio Trouble: XWAU Mega Patch Install From CD Version

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

[Solved] Audio Trouble: XWAU Mega Patch Install From CD Version

Birdmn510
Recruit

Post by Birdmn510 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:37 am

I have recently tried installing the XWAU Mega Patch onto the CD version of the game which I installed on Win 10 using the X Wing Alliance installer for 64 bit OS from moddb. I updated to v 2.02 and the patch installs successfully, however, when I play the game, there is no pilot audio or briefing audio. I have tried 2 things to no avail: 1. Copying the Wave and Movie files from CD 2 into the corresponding folders in Program Files(x86) after the game and patch have been installed. 2. Copying the Wave and Movie files from CD 2 into the CD 1 folder on my C drive that I use to do a clean install from per the 64 bit install instructions. Note: I have tried copying the files from CD 2 into the directory of the game after it has been installed and prior to applying the Mega Patch however the install of the MP crashes due to a file path access denial.

ANYWAY, my question is, can the Mega Patch be successfully applied to the CD version of the game, and does anyone know how to fix my audio problems? I don't really care about the briefing but not hearing the in flight radio transmissions makes the game rather unplayable.

One final note, all other audio works fine.
Last edited by Ace Antilles on Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Solved

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:37 am

You have to copy the sound files from both CDs I to your game directory. After applying the patches the game won't look for the sounds in the CDs anymore as far as I remember.
Generally the CD version should still work but we highly recommend getting the GOG version of the game. Just look out for a deal, there are usually a few each year where you can grab the game really cheap. Tends to make things much easier and you won't have to worry about damaging or loosing your original CDs.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Birdmn510
Recruit

Post by Birdmn510 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:27 pm

Thanks for the tip. For anyone else who runs into this problem you have to copy the Wave and Movie files from both CD's into the game directory after both the game and mega patch have been installed - even if the directory you use to do a clean install from already has the files.
Last edited by Birdmn510 on Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:39 pm

Birdmn510 wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:27 pm
Thanks for the tip. For anyone else who runs into this problem you have to copy the Wave and Movie files from both CD's into the game directory after both the game and mega patch have been installed.
We do list this issue in the Readme file of the Updates in the main installer screen.

XWA CD Version: If you are still using the old CDs for XWA it is getting harder to support that system. We do recommend you upgrade to a digital version such as sold by GoG.com etc. They can be very cheap in sales.
Sound Issues: If you find you are missing some mission sounds then you need to copy the WAVE folder from both CDs to the XWA main folder. If asked to replace any files then select not to do that. The sounds will then run from your PC.

But as Forceflow said get a GoG copy during a sale maybe. You will need to do a full reinstall probably for our next release and it makes things a lot simpler.
Glad you got it sorted :)
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost