B6M2 reveal spoiled by premature e-mail [SOLVED]

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

B6M2 reveal spoiled by premature e-mail [SOLVED]

Hyberon
Recruit

Post by Hyberon » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:15 pm

Emon sends you an e-mail about how shocked he is that the Azzameen base has been taken over by mercenaries just before you actually embark on the mission where that is discovered (B6M2). I've seen some other e-mails that seemed to be sent out of order (the one I can remember is Emon setting you up on a date with Lady Blue at the same time as her picture appears in your cabin, telling you she's KIA), but as I recall that was an issue in vanilla XWA as well. This one stands out a bit, since the fact that the mercenary base is the former Azzameen home is treated as a big reveal in the mission.

Oh, and when you do finish B6M2, you get a mercenary leather jacket as reward. Its description states that you got it when you liberated the base, but that happens in the next mission (B6M3). You also get an e-mail from Olin about that jacket.
Last edited by Ace Antilles on Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Solved

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:44 pm

Hyberon wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:15 pm
Emon sends you an e-mail about how shocked he is that the Azzameen base has been taken over by mercenaries just before you actually embark on the mission where that is discovered (B6M2). I've seen some other e-mails that seemed to be sent out of order (the one I can remember is Emon setting you up on a date with Lady Blue at the same time as her picture appears in your cabin, telling you she's KIA), but as I recall that was an issue in vanilla XWA as well. This one stands out a bit, since the fact that the mercenary base is the former Azzameen home is treated as a big reveal in the mission.

Oh, and when you do finish B6M2, you get a mercenary leather jacket as reward. Its description states that you got it when you liberated the base, but that happens in the next mission (B6M3). You also get an e-mail from Olin about that jacket.
Hmm that doesn't sound right. It might be possible to trigger when these things are delivered.
Not sure how easy it would be to test but I have an idea.

Are you able to list all the details so I can look into it another time please?

For example the Email number that comes up.
What mission it should or shouldn't show up on.
Also the gifts that are given for that mission.

Thanks for the report
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:52 pm

From the email.txt

Code: Select all

!EMAIL_91_FROM!Emon Azzameen
!EMAIL_91_HEADER!Can't believe it!
!EMAIL_91_MSG1!Our Home Base taken over by mercenaries? No way that'll stick. I'm on my way back to kick some merc hulls. Don't go after them without me!
!EMAIL_91_MSG2!
!EMAIL_91_MSG3!Emon 
Seeing as the mission to locate the base is the 44th mission, it make sense that it should be 44 instead of 43
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Hyberon
Recruit

Post by Hyberon » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:24 pm

While I'm at it, I might as well report any additional e-mail errors I find, although these will probably mostly be trivial.

In e-mail 5165, Aeron mentions mounting the Azzameen Family Crest in Ace's Z-95, although it's mounted in your quarters, which I always assumed was the Otana parked somewhere on the Defiance/Liberty. 5153 also makes a reference to Ace's Z-95. I can only assume Ace was supposed to have a Z-95 at some point in XWA's development.

Emon sets Ace up for a date with Lady Blue in e-mail 5119 and in 5121 you get an e-mail from Lady Blue herself. However, as I recall "Picture of Lady Blue" appears in your cabin before you actually get 5121, and the description of the picture mentions her death. Sorry I can't provide more details than that, but it's been a while since I played those missions.

Luke_Skywalker
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Luke_Skywalker » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:09 am

It's been like this since retail, just FYI.
When 900 years old you reach, look as good, you will not. Hmm?" -Yoda

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:15 am

I've taken some notes. I'll look into it at a later stage

Luke_Skywalker
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Luke_Skywalker » Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:43 am

Ace Antilles wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:15 am
I've taken some notes. I'll look into it at a later stage
The emails themselves are in a text file with strings dictating the mission they unlock. Problem is, if I remember right I tried fixing this a year or two ago myself but I couldn't get the emails to trigger as intended. They kept normal behavior. 🤔
When 900 years old you reach, look as good, you will not. Hmm?" -Yoda

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:15 am

Hyberon wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:15 pm

I've been looking into these issues. Yes it's been a very long time I know.

!EMAIL_91_FROM!Emon Azzameen
!EMAIL_91_HEADER!Can't believe it!
!EMAIL_91_MSG1!Our Home Base taken over by mercenaries?
This triggered on mission 43. Right after an email saying "I'll be back soon, so get out the champagne glasses"
The best way to solve that is to move it 44. So it's shown before you start the mission. That makes much more sense.
Rookie_One1 wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:52 pm
Seeing as the mission to locate the base is the 44th mission, it make sense that it should be 44 instead of 43
Exactly as you said ;)

!FAMAWARD_MEDAL43!Mercenary Pilot's Jacket
The jacket is available after mission 43. The one where you dock with the Redhawk and find the Azz Base.
I think this is ok to be there and the next mission is another reward too. Otherwise you would get too many rewards at once.

The fix would be to rewrite the description better.

!FAMAWARD_MEDAL43_DESC!Most of the mercenaries you fought while freeing your family's home base died quickly. This jacket belonged to one of them. They won't hurt your family anymore.
So change that into something more appropriate. I'll have a think but suggestions are welcome.

The email is the same trigger time.

!EMAIL_92_MSG1!I hear you appeared at a party wearing that mercenary flight jacket you grabbed on the Redhawk mission. You could have gotten yourself shot. Watch where you wear that thing. And don't let Aeron see it, she'll want one.
It doesn't make a lot of sense how he grabbed it when he was in the ship the whole time. So maybe the wording needs redoing. But a lot of emails are like that.

Hyberon wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:24 pm
In e-mail 5165, Aeron mentions mounting the Azzameen Family Crest in Ace's Z-95, although it's mounted in your quarters, which I always assumed was the Otana parked somewhere on the Defiance/Liberty. 5153 also makes a reference to Ace's Z-95. I can only assume Ace was supposed to have a Z-95 at some point in XWA's development.
The Z-95 one is a simple fix. I just changed the wording to Cabin instead.

!EMAIL_95_MSG1!I was the one that mounted our family crest in your cabin
5153 also makes a reference to Ace's Z-95. I can only assume Ace was supposed to have a Z-95 at some point in XWA's development.
Yes there are mentions of Z-95 elsewhere. One is an advert and one is after a mission. This is the slightly odd one:

!EMAIL_83_MSG1!My head feels fine and your Z-95 is repaired back to perfect condition
I think it's more referring back to the Z95 a few missions before. It could be worded better, but I just replaced the Z-95 with ship and it's more generic.

Hyberon wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:24 pm
Emon sets Ace up for a date with Lady Blue in e-mail 5119 and in 5121 you get an e-mail from Lady Blue herself. However, as I recall "Picture of Lady Blue" appears in your cabin before you actually get 5121, and the description of the picture mentions her death. Sorry I can't provide more details than that, but it's been a while since I played those missions.
The Lady Blue one is the hardest and most annoying.
I believe it is hard coded and can't be changed. It's a weird thing to do. :irre: I am looking into it with the boffins.
It's maybe possible I can get it to trigger a blank item and then later replace it with the proper one but that means redoing a bunch of stuff.

A simpler option is to change the text. But that also takes away the point of remembering her in the pic.
Someone he never met even. It all could be thought out a little better but it's part of XWA history now ;)