Can I add a font for XWAU?

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Can I add a font for XWAU?

CC-1119
Cadet 4th Class

Post by CC-1119 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:26 am

I am a Chinese STAR WARS Fan.
I want to translate the game text to Chinese. I try to change the text of FRONTTXT.TXT of the game, It' s works, but not normal.
Such as when I changed “!STR_JOIN_GAME!Join Game” to "!STR_JOIN_GAME!加入游戏", then I run the game, the "Join Game" become gibberish not a normal Chinese Font.
If I changed "!STR_JOIN_GAME!Join Game" to "!STR_JOIN_GAME!jia ru you xi", in the game,"Join Game" will become"jia ru you xi".

Is there any way to make the Game support Chinese Font?

CC-1119
Cadet 4th Class

Post by CC-1119 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:04 am

Just like this

the original
o.png
then I changed the text to Chinese
fix.png
in the game
game1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:02 pm

I don't think the game supports Chinese character set. The problem is that the game uses it's own font which I highly doubt is capable of displaying the Chinese don't set.
@Ace Antilles do you know where the font is stored that the game uses?
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:19 pm

Forceflow wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:02 pm
I don't think the game supports Chinese character set. The problem is that the game uses it's own font which I highly doubt is capable of displaying the Chinese don't set.
@Ace Antilles do you know where the font is stored that the game uses?
Didn't @JeremyaFr or @blue_max make a way to change fonts and sizes?
I'm not sure if it was limited to some ones though
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:20 pm

CC-1119 wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:26 am
I want to translate the game text to Chinese. I try to change the text of FRONTTXT.TXT of the game, It' s works, but not normal.
Such as when I changed “!STR_JOIN_GAME!Join Game” to "!STR_JOIN_GAME!加入游戏", then I run the game, the "Join Game" become gibberish not a normal Chinese Font.
If I changed "!STR_JOIN_GAME!Join Game" to "!STR_JOIN_GAME!jia ru you xi", in the game,"Join Game" will become"jia ru you xi".

Was the game ever available in Chinese? Because there's a file called XWA.tab that holds language files

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:37 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:19 pm
It was Jeremy, but the font selection and size is limited to in-flight messages (I think) and the font can be changed through DDraw.cfg. Any font in your system can be used, so that wouldn't be a problem, but it looks like this thread is about the Concourse messages, and I'm not sure that will work in Chinese.

CC-1119
Cadet 4th Class

Post by CC-1119 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:02 am

blue_max wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:37 pm
Ace Antilles wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:19 pm
It was Jeremy, but the font selection and size is limited to in-flight messages (I think) and the font can be changed through DDraw.cfg. Any font in your system can be used, so that wouldn't be a problem, but it looks like this thread is about the Concourse messages, and I'm not sure that will work in Chinese.
I try to edit DDraw.cfg, just like this.
font.png
Than I run the game, but nothing has change.
What should I change?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CC-1119
Cadet 4th Class

Post by CC-1119 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:05 am

Ace Antilles wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:20 pm
CC-1119 wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:26 am

Was the game ever available in Chinese? Because there's a file called XWA.tab that holds language files
The game never available in Chinese. In steam, the game seem to support only English.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:22 am

CC-1119 wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:02 am
What should I change?
I think what you did is correct, but the problem is that only in-flight text is affected by that setting. Did you check that? If you're trying to change the font of the Concourse Menus, I'm not sure we can do that for now.

CC-1119
Cadet 4th Class

Post by CC-1119 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:32 am

blue_max wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:22 am
CC-1119 wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:02 am
What should I change?
I think what you did is correct, but the problem is that only in-flight text is affected by that setting. Did you check that? If you're trying to change the font of the Concourse Menus, I'm not sure we can do that for now.
Well, It' s actually work. How can I change the in-flight text?

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:34 am

The in-game font is RESDATA\Fonts.dat (somewhere I think I've got a full Aurabesh font replacement) but I think you're still going to have a problem with the character set itself. There's also the FNT files in the main directory, I don't remember where in XWA they're used.
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor v1.15.6
Current software WIPs: TIE Layout and Cutscene Editor, TIE/XvT Cockpit Editor
Libraries / Format specs: *.tie, *.plt, *.tfr, *.lfd , *.act, *.dat image files, *.fnt

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:41 pm

JaggedFel wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:34 am
The in-game font is RESDATA\Fonts.dat (somewhere I think I've got a full Aurabesh font replacement) but I think you're still going to have a problem with the character set itself. There's also the FNT files in the main directory, I don't remember where in XWA they're used.
Ah thanks, that was what I was looking for.
Unfortunately this means for you @CC-1119 that it's not really possible to change the frontend to display Chinese characters. The dat files limits you to a single image with a resolution of 160x160 (for the smallest one) and a set of maximum of 224 characters as far as I can see:
16000-2.png
I doubt there is a way for us to hack this to display a larger character set. As for the in-flight messages those should be in the missions themselves but also in xwa.tab. later down in the file you should find entries like this:

Code: Select all

1B0M1FW_S00	Dies ist Ihr erster Transportauftrag. Sie und Ihre Schwester Aeron fliegen jeweils einen corellianischen Transporter, um Frachtkanister zur Harlequin Station zu transportieren. Dort angekommen, müssen Sie Container aufsammeln und mit ihnen zurück zu ihrer Heimatbasis fliegen. Noch bevor Sie die Harlequin Station verlassen können, wird diese von den Viraxo angegriffen.
S000101	Mittlerweile hast du lange genug mit dem Simulator gespielt. Es wird Zeit für dich, dein Können in der Realität unter Beweis zu stellen. Vater hat vorgeschlagen, dich auf eine Liefermission zur Harlequin Station zu schicken. Wir müssen einige Frachtcontainer dort abliefern. Am Zielort angekommen, erhalten wir eine Ladung, die wir mit zurückbringen müssen. Wir benutzen YT-1300er. Ich nehme die Selu und die Sabra. Emkay wird dich als Kopilot unterstützen.
S000102	Alles was du machen mußt, ist mir zu folgen und genau das zu machen, was ich mache. Wir sammeln Tankbehälter und Kühlmittel auf. Vater würde sich sehr darüber freuen, wenn wir das Kühlmittel nicht vergessen würden. Es ist für die Otana. Wenn alles glatt verlaufen sollte, kannst du vielleicht schon bald solo fliegen!
W000101	Hervorragend! Ich glaube, Vater wird damit einverstanden sein, dich weiterarbeiten zu lassen. Das mit den Viraxo war eine dumme Überraschung und hat gezeigt, daß man immer auf einen Kampf vorbereitet sein muß. Der Direktor der Harlequin Station verdankt uns einiges.
1B0M1FW_L00	Am besten folgen Sie den Anweisungen von Aeron und Emkay. Nehmen Sie Ihren Frachtkanister(Xi 1, nicht Xi 2) auf und folgen Sie Aeron zur Harlequin Station. Sobald Sie dort angekommen sind, geben Sie ihr die Gelegenheit, ihren Container abzusetzen. Unmittelbar danach sind Sie an der Reihe. Beachten Sie, daß Sie das Objekt anvisieren müssen, um es mit der Tastenkombination Shift-P aufnehmen zu können. Die Kombination Shift-D funktioniert nur, wenn Sie die Station anvisieren, zu der die Lieferung gebracht werden soll.$$Nachdem Sie beide Ihre Container abgeliefert haben, wird die Harlequin Station von mehreren Raumjägern der Viraxo angegriffen. Sie sollten sich unverzüglich auf Abfangkurs begeben. Sobald Sie in ihre Nähe kommen, werden die Viraxo ihren Angriff auf die Station abbrechen und sich auf Sie konzentrieren. Nun müssen Sie lediglich jeden einzelnen von ihnen angreifen, um die Viraxo zum Rückzug zu zwingen. Versuchen Sie nicht, sie zu zerstören, da die Viraxo in den Hyperraum springen, sobald sie angegriffen werden.$$Nachdem sich die Viraxo zurückgezogen haben, wird es Zeit, die Container aufzusammeln, wegen der Sie hergekommen sind. Aeron wir den Kühlmittelcontainer [CN/K Chi 2] aufnehmen, während Sie sich um den Container mit dem Treibstoff [CN/K Pi 3] kümmern müssen. Fliegen Sie anschließend zu Ihrer Heimatbasis zurück, und lassen Sie Aeron ihren Container wieder als erste abladen.
L000101	Ich weiß nicht, ob du wirklich gut vorbereitet warst. Entweder hast du die Anweisungen nicht befolgt oder sonst irgendeinen Blödsinn gemacht. Du wirst erst wieder fliegen, wenn sich das geändert hat. Also, versuch es erst wieder, wenn du erwachsen bist!
B000102	Sie fliegen die Sabra, eine von unseren modifizierten corellianischen YT-1300 Transportern. Aeron fliegt ein ähnliches Schiff, die Selu. Sie beide müssen Frachtkanister aufsammeln.
B000103	Die Frachtkanister müssen zur Harlequin Station gebracht werden. Dort angekommen, müssen Sie die Tankbehälter und Aeron das Kühlmittel aufnehmen.
B000104	Die Lieferung muß anschließend zurück zur Azzameen Heimatbasis gebracht werden. Ich werde Ihr Kopilot sein, während Aeron Ihnen vorgesetzt ist. Also hören Sie auf sie.
R000101	Wir werden die Kanister vor uns aufsammeln.
R000102	Ich nehme den auf der rechten, du den auf der linken Seite.
It starts with the mission briefing (1B0M1FW_S00), win text and then the debriefing (1B0M1FW_L00) (which you most likely wont be able to change since this is still the frontend part) and then finally the lines starting with R should be the in-mission texts. Those could potentially be changed to Chinese. Thing is I don't think there is a fully set English xwa.tab so you would have to painstakingly extract the messages from the missions and then add them into the file. All I can offer you would be a German, French, Italian or Spanish xwa.tab which has all that at least prepared.

Further down in the file are also a lot of the other in-mission texts which can be set. But again some of those wont be changeable since they will use the frontend :( I am afraid a full Chinese translation is not possible right now.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:47 pm

Use Babu Frik to add a language file.
In case there's one of the supported languages you might also speak

CC-1119
Cadet 4th Class

Post by CC-1119 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:02 am

Ace Antilles wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:47 pm
Use Babu Frik to add a language file.
In case there's one of the supported languages you might also speak
Babu Frik?Is rhe Babu Frik' s Configurator? Or other tools?

CC-1119
Cadet 4th Class

Post by CC-1119 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:13 am

Forceflow wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:41 pm
JaggedFel wrote:
Unfortunately this means for you @CC-1119 that it's not really possible to change the frontend to display Chinese characters. The dat files limits you to a single image with a resolution of 160x160 (for the smallest one) and a set of maximum of 224 characters as far as I can see:
16000-2.png
I doubt there is a way for us to hack this to display a larger character set. As for the in-flight messages those should be in the missions themselves but also in xwa.tab. later down in the file you should find entries like this:

1B0M1FW_S00	Dies ist Ihr erster Transportauftrag. Sie und Ihre Schwester Aeron fliegen jeweils einen corellianischen Transporter, um Frachtkanister zur Harlequin Station zu transportieren. Dort angekommen, müssen Sie Container aufsammeln und mit ihnen zurück zu ihrer Heimatbasis fliegen. Noch bevor Sie die Harlequin Station verlassen können, wird diese von den Viraxo angegriffen.
S000101	Mittlerweile hast du lange genug mit dem Simulator gespielt. Es wird Zeit für dich, dein Können in der Realität unter Beweis zu stellen. Vater hat vorgeschlagen, dich auf eine Liefermission zur Harlequin Station zu schicken. Wir müssen einige Frachtcontainer dort abliefern. Am Zielort angekommen, erhalten wir eine Ladung, die wir mit zurückbringen müssen. Wir benutzen YT-1300er. Ich nehme die Selu und die Sabra. Emkay wird dich als Kopilot unterstützen.
S000102	Alles was du machen mußt, ist mir zu folgen und genau das zu machen, was ich mache. Wir sammeln Tankbehälter und Kühlmittel auf. Vater würde sich sehr darüber freuen, wenn wir das Kühlmittel nicht vergessen würden. Es ist für die Otana. Wenn alles glatt verlaufen sollte, kannst du vielleicht schon bald solo fliegen!
W000101	Hervorragend! Ich glaube, Vater wird damit einverstanden sein, dich weiterarbeiten zu lassen. Das mit den Viraxo war eine dumme Überraschung und hat gezeigt, daß man immer auf einen Kampf vorbereitet sein muß. Der Direktor der Harlequin Station verdankt uns einiges.
1B0M1FW_L00	Am besten folgen Sie den Anweisungen von Aeron und Emkay. Nehmen Sie Ihren Frachtkanister(Xi 1, nicht Xi 2) auf und folgen Sie Aeron zur Harlequin Station. Sobald Sie dort angekommen sind, geben Sie ihr die Gelegenheit, ihren Container abzusetzen. Unmittelbar danach sind Sie an der Reihe. Beachten Sie, daß Sie das Objekt anvisieren müssen, um es mit der Tastenkombination Shift-P aufnehmen zu können. Die Kombination Shift-D funktioniert nur, wenn Sie die Station anvisieren, zu der die Lieferung gebracht werden soll.$$Nachdem Sie beide Ihre Container abgeliefert haben, wird die Harlequin Station von mehreren Raumjägern der Viraxo angegriffen. Sie sollten sich unverzüglich auf Abfangkurs begeben. Sobald Sie in ihre Nähe kommen, werden die Viraxo ihren Angriff auf die Station abbrechen und sich auf Sie konzentrieren. Nun müssen Sie lediglich jeden einzelnen von ihnen angreifen, um die Viraxo zum Rückzug zu zwingen. Versuchen Sie nicht, sie zu zerstören, da die Viraxo in den Hyperraum springen, sobald sie angegriffen werden.$$Nachdem sich die Viraxo zurückgezogen haben, wird es Zeit, die Container aufzusammeln, wegen der Sie hergekommen sind. Aeron wir den Kühlmittelcontainer [CN/K Chi 2] aufnehmen, während Sie sich um den Container mit dem Treibstoff [CN/K Pi 3] kümmern müssen. Fliegen Sie anschließend zu Ihrer Heimatbasis zurück, und lassen Sie Aeron ihren Container wieder als erste abladen.
L000101	Ich weiß nicht, ob du wirklich gut vorbereitet warst. Entweder hast du die Anweisungen nicht befolgt oder sonst irgendeinen Blödsinn gemacht. Du wirst erst wieder fliegen, wenn sich das geändert hat. Also, versuch es erst wieder, wenn du erwachsen bist!
B000102	Sie fliegen die Sabra, eine von unseren modifizierten corellianischen YT-1300 Transportern. Aeron fliegt ein ähnliches Schiff, die Selu. Sie beide müssen Frachtkanister aufsammeln.
B000103	Die Frachtkanister müssen zur Harlequin Station gebracht werden. Dort angekommen, müssen Sie die Tankbehälter und Aeron das Kühlmittel aufnehmen.
B000104	Die Lieferung muß anschließend zurück zur Azzameen Heimatbasis gebracht werden. Ich werde Ihr Kopilot sein, während Aeron Ihnen vorgesetzt ist. Also hören Sie auf sie.
It starts with the mission briefing (1B0M1FW_S00), win text and then the debriefing (1B0M1FW_L00) (which you most likely wont be able to change since this is still the frontend part) and then finally the lines starting with R should be the in-mission texts. Those could potentially be changed to Chinese. Thing is I don't think there is a fully set English xwa.tab so you would have to painstakingly extract the messages from the missions and then add them into the file. All I can offer you would be a German, French, Italian or Spanish xwa.tab which has all that at least prepared.

Further down in the file are also a lot of the other in-mission texts which can be set. But again some of those wont be changeable since they will use the frontend :( I am afraid a full Chinese translation is not possible right now.
Chinese character library, such as GBK, there are 21886 characters.

CC-1119
Cadet 4th Class

Post by CC-1119 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:18 am

Forceflow wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:41 pm
JaggedFel wrote:
16000-2.png

I found 16000-2.png too. So I think if I want to make the game display Chinese normal,I must find or make a png include all Chinese characters. But I don' t know how to make this image.

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:22 am

Even if you could make such an image there would be no way for the game to know which character to use. Somewhere in the game there must be a translation where the game knows that in order to replace the letter a it needs to go to row 4 column 2 and take the image there.
I am afraid translating the game into native Chinese is not possible :(