Head Tracking causing crash

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Head Tracking causing crash

SerialMascot
Recruit

Post by SerialMascot » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:20 pm

Head Tracking causing crash....

This is my first post. Sorry if I'm ill-informed. Narrowed game crash down to TrackIR. This is weird because I've been using it for awhile and haven't customized anything besides resolutions/HuD sizes. I haven't played this since the 90s and it's been great.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... AAy46l2Nuw
Complete re-install with the same baffling results. Everything runs and then tracker_type = TrackIR in cockpitlook.cfg no bueno on exe launch.
I'm usually pretty good at this sort of thing, I can grab logs or run the new hooks or whatever if instructed. Thanks and great job whoever is maintaining/updating everything. Another nerd is duly impressed.

SerialMascot
Recruit

Post by SerialMascot » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:25 pm

UPDATE
I found this: (cockpitlook.log)
Cockpit Hook Loaded
Using TrackIR for tracking
Yaw multiplier: 1.000
Pitch multiplier: 1.000
Yaw offset: 0.000
Pitch offset: 0.000
External tilt: -1820
Parameters loaded
Registry key: []
Could not load NPClient.dll

SerialMascot
Recruit

Post by SerialMascot » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:25 pm

yeah I think opentrack broke it. I will update

SerialMascot
Recruit

Post by SerialMascot » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:42 pm

UPDATE 2
that error in the cockpitlook log was helpful

For future reference for anyone who uses/has opentrack *and* other head tracking software

Opentrack overwrites the NPClient dll path in the windows registry when you use it's freetrack output. It has an option to work around this.

The registry path is:
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\NaturalPoint\NATURALPOINT\NPClient Location

Look for the NPClient or NPClient64.dll where your head tracking software lives to get the path. I should probably browse these forums before trying to make the cockpit gauges and HUD text look better. Looks like I need to switch to 3-point tracking too, (or use KB lean) as the cockpitlook.cfg file shows z-axis support. So many features. Now I think I understand all this fiddling with fonts and aliaising and so on for the text displays.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:32 pm

Thanks for sharing this, SerialMascot. I believe we support 6dof for TrackIR, so that should work if you've got the right hardware. In the future, another thing you can try if you run into trouble with TrackIR is to press Alt+T. This forces TrackIR to reload once the game has started.