[Solved] Bug in Battle 3 - Mission 2 CTD (Crash to Desktop)

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

[Solved] Bug in Battle 3 - Mission 2 CTD (Crash to Desktop)

potentesciamano
Cadet 4th Class

Post by potentesciamano » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:45 am

Hello to everyone,

I'm really enjoying the latest version of X-Wing Alliance Upgrade, and would like to thank the whole team for the amazing work they did and still are doing for us all.

I am writing here because I am experiencing an issue in the Battle 3 - Mission 2 "Supply Rebels with Warheads (Family mission)".

The mission starts normally and runs smoothly for the all the first part, but as soon as the Azzameen's transport ships comes in to pick up the warhead containers the games goes CTD, crashes to desktops all the times.

I tried tho replay the mission a few times and always I had CTDs, someyimes a little later, when dogfighting the Black Sun Supa Fighters, but there is no way to finish the mission.

I have installed the last version of the XWAU 2020 Mega Patch, the 5.5 Addon Pack with Italian language and I never experienced such issues in all the other mission flown so far.

No other patches or addons are installed, apart from the Italian audio WAVs and movies from the original 1999 Italian release.

Thank you for you help and support.

Andrea
Last edited by potentesciamano on Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:23 pm

Hi Andrea, please have a look here and follow the instructions on how to find the crash information in the event log. Without this it's going to be very hard to find the cause of the CTD.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

potentesciamano
Cadet 4th Class

Post by potentesciamano » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:46 pm

Hello,

I played the mission once more and this time it crashed a lot later than the oter times, nearly ath the end.

I managed to jump to the rendezvous point with the other ships and then the game exited.

Here are the reports recorded by the Windows Event Viewer.

Thanks for your help.

Andrea
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:01 pm

Mhm, it's very strange that it crashes at different points in the mission. I am also afraid that the exception it's throwing (0xc00000005) is a very generic one that keeps happening at times. @JeremyaFr any idea what could cause this?
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:30 pm

Hello,
The crash at offset 004A24FE is in function L004A2480.
It seems to be related to this line:

Code: Select all

s_V0x07CA1A0.pLeaderCraft = s_XwaObjects[s_V0x07CA1A0.LeaderObjectIndex].pMobileObject->pCraft;
It seems that s_V0x07CA1A0.LeaderObjectIndex has a wrong value.

A crash dump will help to investigate.
You can check if there are a file with a .dmp extension and with a name starting with "XWingAlliance_" in your XWA directory.

potentesciamano
Cadet 4th Class

Post by potentesciamano » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:02 am

Hello!

Yes, I found four DMP files in the main folder. Unfortutaley looks like I cannot upload them here, and I do not have the program to open them

What can I do now? thanks for you kind help and support.

Andrea

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:18 am

You can zip the file and share it with an online service like https://www.filemail.com/

potentesciamano
Cadet 4th Class

Post by potentesciamano » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:46 am

Thanks, let's try this:

https://we.tl/t-4fTNsR1X5O

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:52 pm

I've taken a look at the crash dumps.
1) The first crash appears at offset 004BC7E8 in the function L004BC7C0: XwaAICompleteFollowOrder
The value of s_V0x07CA1A0.LeaderObjectIndex is 225.
The value of s_V0x07CA1A0.pLeaderCraft is 0. It should not.
2) and 3) The second and third crashes appear at offset 0049633F in the function L00495460.
4) The fourth crash appears at offset 004A24FE in the function L004A2480.
The value of s_V0x07CA1A0.LeaderObjectIndex is 0x18181818 which is not valid.

I don't know why it crashes.

Does this mission crash in vanilla game with the Golden DDraw and all updated Hooks?
The Golden DDraw is here: https://github.com/JeremyAnsel/xwa_ddraw_d3d11/releases
You can use XwaHooksSetup to download the latest hooks.

Justagai
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Justagai » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:48 pm

potentesciamano wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:45 am
Hello to everyone,

I'm really enjoying the latest version of X-Wing Alliance Upgrade, and would like to thank the whole team for the amazing work they did and still are doing for us all.

I am writing here because I am experiencing an issue in the Battle 3 - Mission 2 "Supply Rebels with Warheads (Family mission)".

The mission starts normally and runs smoothly for the all the first part, but as soon as the Azzameen's transport ships comes in to pick up the warhead containers the games goes CTD, crashes to desktops all the times.

I tried tho replay the mission a few times and always I had CTDs, someyimes a little later, when dogfighting the Black Sun Supa Fighters, but there is no way to finish the mission.

I have installed the last version of the XWAU 2020 Mega Patch, the 5.5 Addon Pack with Italian language and I never experienced such issues in all the other mission flown so far.

No other patches or addons are installed, apart from the Italian audio WAVs and movies from the original 1999 Italian release.

Thank you for you help and support.

Andrea
Do what Jeremy says, but there is something else that I'm curious about since I'm unable to replicate this issue. Do you have a copy of XWA that is the English version with XWAU 2020 Mega Patch 5.5 installed? Does it crash there? I just want to eliminate as many variables as I can.

potentesciamano
Cadet 4th Class

Post by potentesciamano » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:15 am

Hello! I have the original Italian CD version of XWA but for this install I used the GOG English version because it does not need all the patching. Then I switched the language in Italian with Babu Frik’s application and then overwrote all the English WAV files and movies with the ones on Italian from the two original CDs. So it’s not really “vanilla”, but I did not use any other hooks or addons apart from 5.5 pack. Everything else works fine. Thanks!

potentesciamano
Cadet 4th Class

Post by potentesciamano » Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:54 am

Hello Everyone!

I finally managed to fix the bug and complete the mission, thanks to the info given by Ace Antilles, Forceflow and JeremyaFr.

I had the same issue with Battle 3 - Mission 6 "Rendezvous with defector": soon after the AA-23 Shuttle with Captain Zaletta entered the FRG Redemption hangar, the game crashed to desktop with no reason.

This is how I solved: first I installed the Italian version of GOG X-Wing Alliance; then I installed all the XWAU packs up to XWAU 2020 5.5 AddOn Pack Version 5.5 version.

Then I used Babu Frik's confgurator to switch the language to Italian (so I did not manually put the Italian audio as I used to do).

Then I downlaoded the XwaHooksSetup and got the latest hooks, which I put in the game main folder.

The only thing I do not use are the latest Golden DDraw version mentioned by JeremyaFr. I tried it but it causes the game run flat 2D graphics instead 3D, even if I followed the given instructions.

I hope this could help other players. Thanks everyone for the precious support and help.

Andrea