Continuity Error: Battle 4 Mission 3

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Continuity Error: Battle 4 Mission 3

Gyaosu
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Gyaosu » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:54 pm

Battle 4 Mission 3 - Mining Coloy under Siege: Rescue Aeron:

This continuity error already existed in the original game but has become more obvious with the implementation of separate models for the ISD and ISDII: ISD Avenger should be an ISDII as it is in the following missions and already has been in TESB.

Considering that there are 4 different Mon Calamari Heavy Cruisers in XWA Upgrade instead of 2 in the original game, this would be a legitimate change as well.

If you want me to, I can check if this change will cause any balancing issues.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:42 am

Yeah I noticed that a few days ago when testing my ISD WIP in vanilla missions. My first guess was also that it's an error, especially the Avenger returns in later missions as an ISD2.
However looking at the ingame stats it could as well have been a balance choice.

The ISD1 uses 304-type superlasers, while the ISD2 uses 305-type, which are significantly stronger. Both have the same range but the ISD2's also have a higher refire rate

You're obviously not supposed to engage any of the capital ship but I'm guessing they may have used the ISD1 to have those rebel ships be destroyed at the right time for the player to witness, while they're docked at the station and unable to move.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Gyaosu
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Gyaosu » Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:52 am

Vince T wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:42 am
Yeah I noticed that a few days ago when testing my ISD WIP in vanilla missions. My first guess was also that it's an error, especially the Avenger returns in later missions as an ISD2.
However looking at the ingame stats it could as well have been a balance choice.

The ISD1 uses 304-type superlasers, while the ISD2 uses 305-type, which are significantly stronger. Both have the same range but the ISD2's also have a higher refire rate
Thank you for your answer.

I'll modify the mission and check if it's still balanced.
You're obviously not supposed to engage any of the capital ship but I'm guessing they may have used the ISD1 to have those rebel ships be destroyed at the right time for the player to witness, while they're docked at the station and unable to move.
I'm not sure if there's a specific time when the player is supposed to be docked at the asteroid station as you have to engage several TIEs on the way. If you're too slow, the ISD will be in range to fire at the asteroid station and your ship while you're docked but it doesn't have any serious effect.

Gyaosu
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Gyaosu » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:03 pm

Ok, I've tested it with difficulties medium and hard and experienced no balancing or timing issus.

The rebel ships B/C Fairfax and FRG Cruuz are destroyed at the exactly same time und the destruction time of the asteroid station heavily depends on other influencing factors.

Overall, it's also an optictal improvement as the turbolaser barrage of the ISDII seems to look more impressive.

I've attached the modified mission file.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.