Graphics/Game Crashes when entering hyperspace

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Graphics/Game Crashes when entering hyperspace

darthbronx
Recruit

Post by darthbronx » Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:05 am

Hey, so excited to play the game in full! I installed TFTC 1.3 and the update, so I may need to check there too, but I’ve got an issue. I have run through the first 3 training missions and it worked, but on mission 4 you have to enter hyperspace. At this point the graphics throw an error saying the GPU device instance was suspended. It throws three and I can still hear the game and fly, but the graphics are frozen. Eventually if you click through the errors another saying ResolveBackBuffer shows up, at which time the game crashes. I had this issue when trying to run any mission, but setting the in game graphics to level 1, the lowest resolution in game, turned off special effects in Babu Frik, and set the computer screen resolution to a height under 1000. I also installed the latest DDraw. This worked for the first 3 missions and the 4th until I entered hyperspace, at which the above errors occur. Does anyone know a way to fix this or a way to skip the hyperspace sequences? I’m running a laptop with Intel UHD 620. It can run Star Wars Squadrons, so I would think it could run this. I’ve had a blast so far and am looking forward to playing the rest!

darthbronx
Recruit

Post by darthbronx » Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:10 pm

Okay, so I can actually play through missions in XWAU and go to hyperspace, so the base game works. I think it may be something with TFTC, so I posted in those forums but wanted to post here in case anyone else had this issue.

‘I’m running into an issue where the graphics get stuck if I enter hyperspace. The stars turn to star lines and then it throws an error. I get 4 typically: Direct3DTexture::Load “Not enough memory resources”, PrimarySurface::Flip “The GPU device I stand has been suspended”, Direct3DDevice::Execute “The GPU device I stand has been suspended”, and the most fatal one, DirectResources::RetrieveBackBuffer “Resolve back buffer. The GPU device I stand has been suspended”. 1 is uncommon, 2 and 3 are common, and 4 is the last one I get and it crashes. Most of the time I can minimize the window, click out of the error, and hear and interact with the game as if I were playing it, but the graphics are frozen on the starlines, and this is not playable. If I try too many things to get the graphics going again I get the 4th message and a crash. I have the special effects turned off in Babu Frik’s Configurator, graphics and in game resolution set to low, and a lower computer resolution. I’m running XWAU mega pack and the 5.0 patch as well as the updated ddraw.dll. And I can enter hyperspace fine in XWAU. I’m using a laptop with Windows 10 and Intel UHD 620 graphics, but it runs everything from the X-Wing series to KOTOR to Squadrons with minimal lag. I’ also running TFTC 1.3.2. Any help is appreciated, I’m SO excited to play this updated blast from the past but need to get past hyperspace first. Thanks all!

Update, I can actually click out of the 4th error and still interact with the game, so it is not fatal after all! However, the graphics are still frozen on starlines, so I still can’t play. All I really need now is to get the graphics unfrozen. Any ideas?’

If anyone has anything I can try, let lease let me know!

darthbronx
Recruit

Post by darthbronx » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:44 pm

IT WORKS!!! Here’s what I did if anyone else needs help and happens upon my thread.

Install XWA on Steam and run it once to get initial setup done
Install XWAU 2020 mega pack
Install XWAU 5.0. XWAU 5.5 caused it to crash for me, so I left it out.
Installed Jeremy’s most recent DDRAW.dll.
Lowered my computer resolution to a midrange resolution
Ran Babu Frik Configurator to turn off special effects so it would run on my machine
In XWAU, lowered the graphics to level 2 and the resolution to level 1
Restarted XWAU to have changes take effect. At this point you can play XWAU!
Installed TFTC 1.3 and 1.3.2 and switched over on Palpatine Converter.
Set "IsHookD3DEnabled = 1" in hook_d3d.cfg. (It will think there’s a mistake upon launch, but will still run the game and will be playable)
In Babu, turned off bloom effects and special effects so it will run on my machine.
Ran TFTC and made sure my in game resolution and graphics level are the same as in XWAU.
Played the game!

Thanks to all the threads I’ve seen to help me find this solution, hope this helps people like me in the future!

PS, I have not messed around to see if some things would work on higher settings, I got too excited and just started playing! Thanks again!

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:02 pm

Hello,
Thank you for your feedbacks.

Are you still experiencing problems with the mod?