INFO: Common graphic problems with XWA

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Re: INFO: Common graphic problems with XWA

KLHarmon
Recruit

Post by KLHarmon » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:36 am

Using the GOG version of XWA and have installed Darksabers DSUCPv2.3.exe. I tried XWAUPGRADE1.3 with no luck.
I had to remove the DDraw.dll form the directory just to get it to launch
It works in software mode, but in 3D mode, I get multi color triangles with vertices in the upper left corner. A portion of the upper right screen I can clearly see a starfield and a planetary background that looks hi res.

I haven't been able to find a solution on the forum except to upgrade my OS?

Windows XP with Directx9c
Nvidia 8600+ GT with 340.52 drivers

I am almost certain it is a driver issue, but which nvidia video driver should I be using?

Thanks

[UPDATE] Downloaded & installed 331.82 nvidia display drivers and reinstalled DirectX9.0c, no luck with either. Tried Wine3D, no luck

[UPDATE 2.0] Got it to boot with Nvidia 185 drivers, loaded Darksaber 2.3 and removed the Ddraw.dll form the game directory. It loaded great until I targeted something, then all those pretty ships & textures disappeared. :kopfwand:

Re-read this entire thread for the third time and said screw-it-all. Installed XWA and XWA Upgrade on my Win7 laptop with intel graphics. Worked like charm.

Atruejedi
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Atruejedi » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:53 am

bartleyb wrote:Okay guys I have TF installed used the fixclear.bat works great with 3d enabled! That is until I targer anything and then the screen shutters and goes black... I I couldnt find a fix for it, can you guys advise me how to fix this?
I have a similar problem to this. When I use the XWAHacker program to enable 32 bit rendering, it turns my hangar completely black (with 2 dots near the center). I can leave the hangar by pressing spacebar, but once I'm in the mission targeting any ship will again turn the screen completely black with 2 dots near the center. I am desperate to find a solution to this. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit with an NVIDIA 570 and the original CDs.

Fandyenu
Recruit

Post by Fandyenu » Fri May 20, 2016 7:25 pm

Greetings , I purchased in Steam X -Wing Alliance to remember the old times I spent in this wonderful game and read with great interest about upgraded graphics and new ships, I decided to install DSUCPv2.3 and also language pack and some amazing models from Darksaber's website, the improvement are wonderful but I feel the same as " bartleyb " and " Atruejedi " said, whenever I target any ship in missions, the screen turns black with two yellow dots on each side of the center point , I tested in combat simulator single player and allows me to target some models of TIE fighters but for any other fighter , ship, station , etc becomes black screen with dots again, any clue what's going on? I have Windows 10 Home 64-bit and NVIDIA GeForce GTX970

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Mon May 30, 2016 8:02 pm

Did you try replacing the ddraw.dll with a version with my latest updates?
It's available here: https://github.com/rdoeffinger/xwa_ddra ... ses/latest
I think some people said it fixed such issues, even though I only did a few generic bug-fixes and never had that issue myself.
Last edited by Reimar on Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:39 pm

Similar problem that Fandyenu has, same OS and graphics card, installing the latest ddraw.dll didn't help.

It only happens to me when I target anything larger then a fighter.

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:47 am

Tuskin wrote:Similar problem that Fandyenu has, same OS and graphics card, installing the latest ddraw.dll didn't help.

It only happens to me when I target anything larger then a fighter.
So far the common thread seems to be fairly old graphics cards.
When targeting something, what happens is that it is also displayed in the bottom HUD, which might push something over the edge.
While it SHOULD normally produce a proper error, are you by any chance using graphics cards with less than 1 GB of RAM and running monitors with somewhat high resolutions (> 1280xsomething)?
Because I suspect that might not be enough.
Try setting EnableMultisamplingAntialiasing to 0 in ddraw.cfg, that should reduce the requirements.
Or reduce the desktop resolution.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:33 am

The 970 is a new'ish card, only came out in 2014, has 4GB of VRAM.

I reinstalled the game with everything I had before minus XWC and now it works.

I think the issue was caused by something in the X-Wing Total Conversion Mod

Ramshu
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Ramshu » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:53 am

Fandyenu wrote:Greetings , I purchased in Steam X -Wing Alliance to remember the old times I spent in this wonderful game and read with great interest about upgraded graphics and new ships, I decided to install DSUCPv2.3 and also language pack and some amazing models from Darksaber's website, the improvement are wonderful but I feel the same as " bartleyb " and " Atruejedi " said, whenever I target any ship in missions, the screen turns black with two yellow dots on each side of the center point , I tested in combat simulator single player and allows me to target some models of TIE fighters but for any other fighter , ship, station , etc becomes black screen with dots again, any clue what's going on? I have Windows 10 Home 64-bit and NVIDIA GeForce GTX970
Try disabling 32-bit Rendering with xwahacker-gui-0.27-win, the latests modification on DSCUCPv2.3 have conflict with this.

"Nasios pa vola"

BigCat
Cadet 4th Class

Post by BigCat » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:15 am

Hello guys,

I posted a new topic in XWAU regarding graphic problems I've encountered, but I think maybe I chose the wrong topic, as maybe my problem is XWA (as opposed to XWAU) related.

In all single missions I've played so far, and in random encounters, the space background is all messed up. I see planet parts, huge and ugly star destroyers, strange quarters of sort of big cosmic explosions, and it's really annoying me because it kinda degrades the wonderful work the XWAU team has been doing on nearly everything else.

I tried to disable backdrop, space debris and all that, and the only thing I obtained was a shift from 3D to 2D on these background items. So I've got 2D planet quarters looking like distant space pizzas instead of empty quarter of space oranges.

How can I get rid of these, or having the planet background mod work properly (I can't set it up again since I set up XWAU 1.3, that includes the new backgrounds) ?

As a side note I got a lot of misplaced cockpits POV while setting up patch 1.3, and nearly all of them have been corrected by redownloading the fighters one by one.
I can't do that for the Y-Wing, since I've got a message telling me my Y-Wing is more recent than the one I want to set up all over again. Do you know how to solve this ?

Cheers folks, and again thank you a lot for this XWA Resurrection !

Ramshu
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Ramshu » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:05 am

BigCat wrote:In all single missions I've played so far, and in random encounters, the space background is all messed up. I see planet parts, huge and ugly star destroyers, strange quarters of sort of big cosmic explosions, and it's really annoying me because it kinda degrades the wonderful work the XWAU team has been doing on nearly everything else.

I tried to disable backdrop, space debris and all that, and the only thing I obtained was a shift from 3D to 2D on these background items. So I've got 2D planet quarters looking like distant space pizzas instead of empty quarter of space oranges.
Check if you have on XWA folder a file named XWA.TAB, change file extension to XWA.TAB.BAK and try to play again.
http://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3008/vie ... 10&t=11555
http://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3008/vie ... ge#p150473

In case of previous solution doesn't work, try to reinstall backdrop DTM's Super Backdrops

"Nasios pa vola"

BigCat
Cadet 4th Class

Post by BigCat » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:42 am

Ramshu wrote:
BigCat wrote:In all single missions I've played so far, and in random encounters, the space background is all messed up. I see planet parts, huge and ugly star destroyers, strange quarters of sort of big cosmic explosions, and it's really annoying me because it kinda degrades the wonderful work the XWAU team has been doing on nearly everything else.

Check if you have on XWA folder a file named XWA.TAB, change file extension to XWA.TAB.BAK and try to play again.
http://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3008/vie ... 10&t=11555
http://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3008/vie ... ge#p150473

In case of previous solution doesn't work, try to reinstall backdrop DTM's Super Backdrops
Thanks a lot Ramshu, I'll try the first solution tonight. I already tried to reinstall backdrop, but as it's included in XWAU v1.3, the installer tells me it can't set up DTM's Super Backdrops as it is already installed. :(

BigCat
Cadet 4th Class

Post by BigCat » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:51 am

Hi guys,

Unfortunately I couldn't find an XWA.TAB file in my XWA folder, and I think it's quite normal: reading the threads Ramshu showed me (thank you, Ramshu ! :) ) it seems this file exists only for regionalized versions of XWA, and I use a regular english one.

I would like, then to reinstall DTM's Super Backdrops, but like I stated previously, I can't because the installer tells me it's already there, just like the Y-Wing installer. :(

Do you know if there is something I can do (bar uninstall XWAU v1.3 and reinstall it) ?

Ramshu
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Ramshu » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:39 pm

BigCat can you upload a few screenshot of your problem? and can you tell me your PC specs? your hardware, drivers and S.O.

"Nasios pa vola"

BigCat
Cadet 4th Class

Post by BigCat » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:14 pm

Ramshu wrote:BigCat can you upload a few screenshot of your problem? and can you tell me your PC specs? your hardware, drivers and S.O.
No pb. I'll do that tonight, screenshots with backdrop on and off, and my PC specs. What's an S.O. ? If it's an OS then it is a basic Windows 10 family edition.

Thank you again for your help ! :^^:

BigCat
Cadet 4th Class

Post by BigCat » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:39 pm

Screenshots, with backdrop on and off:

http://tof.canardpc.com/view/6c1f5029-c ... fa5967.jpg

http://tof.canardpc.com/view/02a223f4-7 ... 3467c2.jpg

With backdrop on there is much more of them.

My graphic board:

http://tof.canardpc.com/view/058929d9-7 ... 49d57a.jpg

Up to date driver (21.21.13.7570 by NVIDIA)

Ramshu
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Ramshu » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:58 pm

@BigCat Is estrange i have a GTX 770 with the latests drivers and i no have this problems.

Did you install the game and DSUCP with administrator permissions?
Do you execute xwingalliance.exe with administrator permissions to all users?

"Nasios pa vola"

sith
Cadet 4th Class

Post by sith » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:49 pm

KLHarmon wrote: It works in software mode, but in 3D mode, I get multi color triangles with vertices in the upper left corner. A portion of the upper right screen I can clearly see a starfield and a planetary background that looks hi res.

I haven't been able to find a solution on the forum except to upgrade my OS?

Windows XP with Directx9c
Nvidia 8600+ GT with 340.52 drivers
Hello,
I guess I got the same problem... I have Nvidia GTS 450, rest setup most likely the same. After turning on 3d hardware, my game looks like this:
https://i.imgur.com/ilZjQAO.jpg

I've already reinstalled windows, checked it on latest draivers.
To be honest I'm a little pissed off because I changed graphic card from radeon 4850 hd to nvidia gts 450 because of graphic issues with cards.
Can anyone can give some advice?

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:37 pm

Hello,
A few questions:
Which version of Windows do you use?
Which version of the game (CD, GoG, Steam)?
Do you use a custom ddraw.dll?

sith
Cadet 4th Class

Post by sith » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:20 pm

Windows MX 8.1 32bit (same as Windows XP with service pack 3)
I use default X-Wing Alliance, without 2.02 patch, installed from disk images which was created from original CD.
I don't use any modifications.

I'm just wondering, if that could made a difference, to install Windows 7 and directX 11, because card which I'm using support DX 11, but I'm not an expert as You probably noticed :D

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:31 pm

This whole thread is about the game not working with modern graphics drivers, so it's not surprising you have issues when you try to run it without patches!
The ddraw.dll is the solution for this, but it requires Direct3D11 which most definitely is not available on XP (it COULD be implemented in e.g. OpenGL and would then work on WinXP, but I expect nobody will do that - despite my strong dislike for Direct3D I don't have that much time to waste).
If you really want to try and continue riding that dead horse, some of the alternative solutions listed e.g. here http://steamcommunity.com/app/354430/di ... 823610278/ might work.
Though you'd probably have better luck even running it with Wine under Linux...

smm2303
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by smm2303 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:53 am

I had installed XWA on Windows 7 64 bit Steam version with DSUCP 2.4
I have customs missions also say Talons, Ash guard Campaign.

The new star field and backdrops are superb but they appear only in original missions NOT in the custom missions? why?
pls help me.

Saleel Mali

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:40 pm

Hello,
You need to add the starfield backdrops to custom missions.
Just follow DTM's instructions in DTMSBReadme.rtf.

smm2303
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by smm2303 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:31 pm

JeremyaFr wrote:Hello,
You need to add the starfield backdrops to custom missions.
Just follow DTM's instructions in DTMSBReadme.rtf.

Thank you very much sir

sith
Cadet 4th Class

Post by sith » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:04 am

Hello,

I've installed windows 7 x64 sp1, my machine is AMD athlon II X3 440 3GHz. 12GB RAM (2 x 4GB + 2 x 2GB), and Nvidia Geforce GTS 450 graphic. I got X-Wing upgrade pack installed, but I have some issues with fps drops. When in battle are a lot of ships it drops hard even to 10 fps. Is there any to keep fps high with some graphical setting which can be done from menus to keep fps at stable 20?

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:56 pm

sith wrote:Hello,
[...] Nvidia Geforce GTS 450 graphic. [...]. Is there any to keep fps high with some graphical setting which can be done from menus to keep fps at stable 20?
As discussed here, you should probably update the hooks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11763
In ddraw.cfg you can disable MSAA (EnableMultisamplingAntialiasing = 0) and anisotropic filtering (EnableAnisotropicFiltering = 0).
You also didn't mention the resolution you are running at, the GTS cards aren't really meant for gaming, if you run at full 1080p it wouldn't be surprising to see it struggle still.