Weapon Focus and Reticle Aims - Model Sizes

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

What do you thing about model sizes?

Yes, alternative models with original sizes will be good.
100%
No, everything is OK
No votes

Total votes: 2

Weapon Focus and Reticle Aims - Model Sizes

Ronin
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Ronin » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:18 pm

Hi People,

I have realized this issue some years ago but I wanted to create topic now. I appreciate your work, please consider this as a idea not criticism.

I started a new campaign with new pilot early today but I was stuck on Mission 2 because Andrasta can't hit the container.

I think that AI, somehow, aim the target but lasers' pass below its target. That is why Andrasta can't damage the container. I have waited 30 mins but Andrasta keep shooting without damaging its target. I had to cancel the mission.

The reason is that new models are completely different than original game design. Different geometry caused different weapons location so AI targeting focus contradicted with new models.

Same thing occurs when you play with YT1300 and B-Wing. You always take into account that laser's hit line is far then HUD Reticle. As a player I can think that but AI can't. This create your AI wingmen can't destroy enemy and you find yourself alone in the mission.

-Easy to say but solution might be keeping original lasers focus and ship sizes and their weapons location. At least you can give alternative models during setup.

Attached a picture from game.

Best Regards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ronin on Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:37 pm

We tested all missions before release and I did not notice any problems with that mission. I'll have to go back to it but that would have been an issue long before the 2020 patch so I am kinda stumped about it.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Ronin
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Ronin » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:47 pm

Forceflow wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:37 pm
We tested all missions before release and I did not notice any problems with that mission. I'll have to go back to it but that would have been an issue long before the 2020 patch so I am kinda stumped about it.
Hi Forceflow,

Yes you are right, this was happening long before 2004. Especially with ships which their geometry and their laser vector much different than original. (B-Wing, Corellian YT1300s, Firespray) .

Maybe this was a coincidance because I left by chance small containers to Andrasta to destroy.

Regards.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:53 pm

Hello,
Can you test that:

1) Apply these patches with XwaExePatcher:
- fix ModelIndex_084_0_66_ContainerSphere not being hittable by AI
- fix gun convergence for AI

2) Test the mission

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:22 pm

3) Depending on craft you can also toggle "Z" key to turn auto-convergence on or off. 0,1,2 = None, manual, auto etc.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:26 pm

Forceflow wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:37 pm
I have seen this on occasion in that mission, it happens when the FRS is very close to the container, it just sort of lazily fires at the target and circles. However, it seems to be related to that mission rather than the FRS specifically.

The fact the player is having this issue suggests they aren't using the fixed CORT turrets as without that fix you cannot destroy the containers yourself.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.