S-foil speed boost

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

S-foil speed boost

Charger116
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Charger116 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:45 pm

Hi,

Was just wondering if there was any way of implementing a speed boost upon closing s-foils, akin to the one you get in games like Rogue Squadron.

Could it be done with a hook or something like that?

Think it would be pretty neat to have, especially in those missions where your entire wing tend to get wiped out and you're trying to reach the hyper buoy with about 12 TIEs chasing you :D

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:09 pm

Theres no way to do that currently. Sorry
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:09 pm

What about associate the closure of s-foil to an active slam boost?

Charger116
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Charger116 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:43 pm

capitanguinea wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:09 pm
What about associate the closure of s-foil to an active slam boost?
I was actually thinking of SLAM as well funnily enough. Although I think it's exclusive to a few craft, with the Missile Boat being the only one I can think of.

Is the SLAM function a viable option to try and achieve this? Can it be added to other craft too?

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:37 am

Technically yes, it's only an Ini entry. However, offhand the only in universe ships to use it as currently game design implemented is the K-Wing, and the Missileboat. I'm trying to remember if any of the FFG X-Wing tabletop games had any other ships that used it, but I don't believe so.

TIE Booster would be the only other ship I believe I'd add it to realistically unless the ship in question was modeled with some kind of additional non-stock thruster modifications. I know in SWG you could add boosters to ships via modification slots, but XWA doesn't exactly have a system for that; although with the ship profile options perhaps there'd be a way to configure a particular opt to have an additional booster mesh or something, with specific stats to that profile, that also includes a SLAM system when that profile is enabled. @DTM @Ace Antilles I'm a bit behind the power curve right now being in the start of fire season and having gotten busy over the last year with work otherwise so others may best be able to answer that.

It is however, not really a priority for the team as of right this second since we're still working on other stuff.

I would encourage you to look up the hook documentation and see what they can do, and what perhaps you can improvise yourself in the meantime. Perhaps if you git gud at tweaking certain things you could contribute some works and ideas to the community in the future ;)

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:23 am

You‘re missing the TIE Revenant, I added a SLAM in my 2020 release :ad
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:03 am

Driftwood wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:37 am
Technically yes, it's only an Ini entry. However, offhand the only in universe ships to use it as currently game design implemented is the K-Wing, and the Missileboat. I'm trying to remember if any of the FFG X-Wing tabletop games had any other ships that used it, but I don't believe so.

TIE Booster would be the only other ship I believe I'd add it to realistically unless the ship in question was modeled with some kind of additional non-stock thruster modifications. I know in SWG you could add boosters to ships via modification slots, but XWA doesn't exactly have a system for that; although with the ship profile options perhaps there'd be a way to configure a particular opt to have an additional booster mesh or something, with specific stats to that profile, that also includes a SLAM system when that profile is enabled. @DTM @Ace Antilles I'm a bit behind the power curve right now being in the start of fire season and having gotten busy over the last year with work otherwise so others may best be able to answer that.

It is however, not really a priority for the team as of right this second since we're still working on other stuff.

I would encourage you to look up the hook documentation and see what they can do, and what perhaps you can improvise yourself in the meantime. Perhaps if you git gud at tweaking certain things you could contribute some works and ideas to the community in the future ;)
in FFG games T-65 has a configuration card for s-foil that get him the boost action when they are setted closed. the t-70 has already a standard boost action, and when close s-foils gets barrel roll action.
only ships with slam action there are the Assault Gunboat (playing the role of missile boat too...) and the K-Wing.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:50 am

In Star Wars Squadrons you can equip the SLAM to other ships. But that's new canon, and it's a game mechanic, so not necessarily actually canon.

The Falcon is mentioned to have it in one book. But again, new canon.

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:04 pm

When your S-Foils are close, laser are off-line. The only reason you can be faster with closed s-foils is that the laser energy is redirected to the engines.