Under what terms models made for XWAU could be use, if any

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

Under what terms models made for XWAU could be use, if any

tyro
Recruit

Post by tyro » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:14 am

Hello,

As you know it's very easy to turn OPTs into .obj files, and that goes for both the original OPTs and for the OPTs made specifically for XWAU by the dedicated 3D modelers that make up this project.

XWAU being a community project with lots of work made specifically for it, I was wondering if there were a license or terms of use for someone who would want to use the models in their 3D animations. I will have no qualms in using the original XWA models in animations I make in my free time, but what about the XWAU models? They were probably not made to be used publicly, so I would feel bade about "taking them" if there's no license somewhere under which one could do so.

Thanks,
Have a nice day
That was me!

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:30 am

Hi there,

glad you enjoy the models. As there are multiple authors for each craft (and many of those no longer being active) it's not easy to give a definitive answer. We had an internal chat and decided that the rule of screenshots (noted in the Rules Section of the page) should also cover videos.

We would like to add some caveats to that:
There needs to be some sort of credit given to the project. Preferably inside the video itself
Do not distribute or modify the models
Keep it somewhat family friendly (do not do something that Disney might not like)
And you are not allowed to financially profit from the usage of the models (so no selling the videos)
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

tyro
Recruit

Post by tyro » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:52 am

Forceflow wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:30 am
We had an internal chat and decided that the rule of screenshots (noted in the Rules Section of the page) should also cover videos.
Ok!
Forceflow wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:30 am
We would like to add some caveats to that:
There needs to be some sort of credit given to the project. Preferably inside the video itself
Do not distribute or modify the models
Keep it somewhat family friendly (do not do something that Disney might not like)
And you are not allowed to financially profit from the usage of the models (so no selling the videos)
These caveats sound fair, reasonable and obvious, but it's indeed better to mention them of course. If I ever release a video using XWAU models, I'll abide by these instructions (I would've done so anyway!).

Thanks a lot for your answers
That was me!

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:55 am

tyro wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:52 am
Thanks a lot for your answers
Sure thing, and of course we'd always love to see what you did in case you release anything :)
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Drinkinmiester
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Drinkinmiester » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:39 pm

Would it be acceptable if I posted screenshots of XWAU or other content that had been "modified" but didn't release any of it. Just to sort of share some of the ideas I was messing around with? I'm not any kind of actual modder myself but I have played around with the mod tools in the past. I'm certain everything I've tinkered with has been from XWAU and the old DSUCP, so I'm pretty sure I can track down who to credit.