XWA vs XWAU Hitboxes

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

XWA vs XWAU Hitboxes

Genie
Recruit

Post by Genie » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:30 am

Relating again to an effort we are making to convert existing XWA Custom battles we have created into XWAU ones.

To help us debug, I understand that the hitboxes in XWAU have been changed?
If yes, what are the changes? (which craft and did they get bigger / smaller?

Better yet, is there a comparison table?

Genie

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:08 pm

Depend on the craft if i'm not mistaken, some are bigger (looking at you YT-1300), some are smallers (the A-Wing is probably the best example of this)
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:37 pm

If you mean the hitzones then they match the opt as said above.
They haven't been altered any other way.
No there's no table comparison.

Basically it's been 20 years of fun and enjoyment.
No one's really kept documents on everything. Checking the individual craft readme files is probably the best source.

Since 2020 we've been trying to make sure things are more balanced and correct.
In 2022 we will maybe verify and correct any other known issues if we can.
But at the end of the day XWAU was never built with multiplayer in mind, just a better visual campaign and skirmish experience
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:46 pm

Like Ace said, the hitzones match the individual shops.

But yes, like Rookie_One said, some ships have been rescaled to match the originals from the Movies
Most noticably:
SSD up from 8km to 17.6 km
ISD down from 2km to 1.6km
A-Wing/Y-Wing down
YT1300 up from ~25m to 34m
Lambda Shuttle up from ~15? To 20m
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:26 pm

It's safe to assume that every single OPT that has been redone has it's hitzones altered since each ship has been reworked. Now in some cases this wont make much difference, but in some cases it will. If you are interested in the differences I can suggest to have a look at the Showcase section of the page where most ships have a comparison video that shows the size (and as such of course the hitzone) difference of each craft.
As mentioned above the A-Wing is most likely the biggest difference overall since it's much smaller in XWAU than in the vanilla game. The Y-Wing also got a pretty hefty downsizing. Most Ties also got downsized, with the exception of the Defender which was actually enlarged. Preybird, Planetary- and Supa Fighter are also fighters that were downsized considerably, with most of the other general fighters being downsized as well though to lesser degrees. (Some pretty much matching the vanilla size exactly) with the Enforcement Ship being enlarged slightly and the Firespray Attack Ship (Slave One) being enlarged considerably.

Long story short, XWAU will not play as the vanilla game in a competitive multiplayer environment, which is something that will not change. While we are getting more conscious about the effects that changes have, the changes to sizes for fighters will most likely remain the way they are simply because the vanilla ships made no sense in many cases.
How this will affect a competitive environment is something you will simply have to try out. The XWAU-Team doesn't have anyone participating in serious multiplayer fighting as far as I know, so we really cannot help you there. We concentrate purely on the single player aspect of the game. If you want to help out the team for the multiplayer aspect of it that's highly welcome, but as it stands right now I am afraid no one from the team has the time or expertise to pursue this.

One of the most important aspects of MP would be to have a standardized setup that's easy to load. This is something that @DTM might be able to help out, though this would come down to you telling us what the best setup is and then he might be able to have a baked in config ready that can be loaded for MP.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:22 pm

Forceflow wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:26 pm
It's safe to assume that every single OPT that has been redone has it's hitzones altered since each ship has been reworked. Now in some cases this wont make much difference, but in some cases it will. If you are interested in the differences I can suggest to have a look at the Showcase section of the page where most ships have a comparison video that shows the size (and as such of course the hitzone) difference of each craft.
As mentioned above the A-Wing is most likely the biggest difference overall since it's much smaller in XWAU than in the vanilla game. The Y-Wing also got a pretty hefty downsizing. Most Ties also got downsized, with the exception of the Defender which was actually enlarged. Preybird, Planetary- and Supa Fighter are also fighters that were downsized considerably, with most of the other general fighters being downsized as well though to lesser degrees. (Some pretty much matching the vanilla size exactly) with the Enforcement Ship being enlarged slightly and the Firespray Attack Ship (Slave One) being enlarged considerably.

Long story short, XWAU will not play as the vanilla game in a competitive multiplayer environment, which is something that will not change. While we are getting more conscious about the effects that changes have, the changes to sizes for fighters will most likely remain the way they are simply because the vanilla ships made no sense in many cases.
How this will affect a competitive environment is something you will simply have to try out. The XWAU-Team doesn't have anyone participating in serious multiplayer fighting as far as I know, so we really cannot help you there. We concentrate purely on the single player aspect of the game. If you want to help out the team for the multiplayer aspect of it that's highly welcome, but as it stands right now I am afraid no one from the team has the time or expertise to pursue this.

One of the most important aspects of MP would be to have a standardized setup that's easy to load. This is something that @DTM might be able to help out, though this would come down to you telling us what the best setup is and then he might be able to have a baked in config ready that can be loaded for MP.
Renegade Wing has been discussing exactly these issues, standard setup for multiplayer etc.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:43 pm

Back in the day the biggest issue with XWAU MP was making sure everybody had a 1:1 install of EXE changes, strings/txt changes (on the most part, shiplist marginal exception to rule), dat files, ect.

Balance wise I never noticed any significant impact especially in dogfighting since the stats weren't different. Fighter combat IMO was pretty well balanced still even with a few minor ship size changes mostly revolving around the AW and TW. But honestly those were always a pain due to their speed mostly anyways so the marginal changes in size made little difference since when you did hit them they usually disintegrated.
Otherwise any differences were marginal outside of indestructible ISD shield generators. I used to play competitively in the early 2000s myself, and my clan also used XWAU/UCP exclusively internally once we discovered what the main causes of desync were and learned to mitigate them, externally we still mostly had to use vanilla because prior to bulk EXE install versions nobody really wanted to try modding anything "because it's too hard" and that's simply what the tournaments utilized.

I had a document with my findings, logic, fixes, and install parameters for the UCP that would also conceptually apply to modern installs of XWAU, if I can find it anywhere I'll update it. However, it may be simpler just to state all players need the same exe, opt, txt, and install settings. On the most part as long as you don't use an opt or ship that has been modified in the exe that other player's dont have, the game won't desync or crash since they're not loaded by the game in mission. One major exception to only having to worry about things featured in the mission, is the strings/concourse install as we discovered that players using an imperial concourse install w/ applicable strings changes, and others using rebel concourse and applicable strings the entire game was incompatible and would desync to unplayability even though there was no obvious reason as to why those changes would cause desync in mission but not in the MP concourse.