Keyboard Mapping???

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

Keyboard Mapping???

Frenzer
Recruit

Post by Frenzer » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:09 pm

I so want to play this game, but every time I do I am hindered by the controls.
I want to play with mouse and keyboard, but a) There is no clear place to find what the keymappings are b) I can't change the keymappings to how I would like it!
As far as I can tell from frustrating google searches there is no way to change them. Is that so or am I missing something obvious?

Help me XWAU community, you're my only hope! :hilfe:

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:52 pm

Unfortunately, you cannot change the key mappings. The game was made back when that was not a commonly offered option. For reference, you can either take a look at the joystick configurator (which includes XWAU-specific keys), or pages 29 to 33 of the game’s manual (which only list the original key bindings).
“Red Four, nothing’s gone wrong yet.”
— Hobbie Klivian

syncopic
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by syncopic » Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:13 am

I´m not sure, if playing with keyboard and mouse is really the best solution.
In some missions you have to react really fast with power configuration, (the correct) ship targeting and moving your figther fast to avoid to be destroyed.
Playing without a HOTAS with programmable buttons could be very hard in my opinion :/
I´m using a CH Fighterstick with throttle (about 46 buttons) and every single button is used :^^:

I remember of full programmable gaming keyboards ... maybe this could work for you.
It´s not a bug - it´s the user.

Frenzer
Recruit

Post by Frenzer » Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:41 am

I've played plenty of space simulators where power config, ship targeting and speed controls are a factor (Freespace 2 for example), and I didn't have any problem with getting through those kind of game. But they also had configurable key mappings, which made it easy for me to keep track of all that.

If having to buy a separate joystick that I will only end up using on this game, I think I unfortunately have to skip this game altogether, even though I really want to play it.

syncopic
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by syncopic » Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:57 pm

Frenzer wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:41 am
I've played plenty of space simulators where power config, ship targeting and speed controls are a factor (Freespace 2 for example), and I didn't have any problem with getting through those kind of game. But they also had configurable key mappings, which made it easy for me to keep track of all that.

If having to buy a separate joystick that I will only end up using on this game, I think I unfortunately have to skip this game altogether, even though I really want to play it.
Please don´t missunderstand me ;)
I never could play a flight sim with keys, but this is only my opinion.
As i wrote ... maybe a completely programmable gaming keyboard is the best solution for you for "older" games, which have no option to reassign keys within game.
Maybe there is also a software solution for remapping normal keyboards (e.g. KeyTweak, Keymapper, ...) :?

Happy flying !
It´s not a bug - it´s the user.

Creepin
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Creepin » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:44 pm

Speaking of playing with mouse: I remember back in the time of original Tie-Fighter I was playing with keyboard+joystick yet I've additionally used mouse for fine-turning my ship: insanely convenient when you need to turn exactly 3 pixels left and 1 pixel up. I honestly don't remember if this was possible in original XW:A, but I know for sure the mouse is disabled in flight now with my current setup of XWAUP 4.0. Any way to make mouse active in flight again?

danrevella
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by danrevella » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:54 am

here is a guide to play XWA with mouse+keyboard (no joy)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LimggVmXPpY

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:19 pm

Mouse and keyboard support is available through Babu Frik with the latest XWAU
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

danrevella
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by danrevella » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:19 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:19 pm
Mouse and keyboard support is available through Babu Frik with the latest XWAU
Yes, I know, BTW the solution by @LPhoenix does work better, and it is also useful for old original version.

coolibop
Recruit

Post by coolibop » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:08 am

Hi. Original mouse and keyboard player for Tie Fighter and looking to replicate. I can't seem to get the mouse to fire or move my craft. What was the solution @LPhoenix? I don't see anything above.

EDIT: NM Figured it from the youtube vid above. Agreed this most resembles the original setup with tie fighter.