The Millennium Falcon needs an upgrade

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

The Millennium Falcon needs an upgrade

Kel9509
Recruit

Post by Kel9509 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:29 pm

Hi all, thanks again for all the amazing work to upgrade this game. I really appreciate all of the hard efforts.

One thing that always bothered me about XwA was that I felt the Millennium Falcon was underpowered. The ship is supposed to be fast and yet in the game it's actually slower than most
Imperial starfighters at base power levels. I almost always add a beam weapon to the ship and then direct all beam power to the engines in order to make up for the lack of speed. And even still I think it's too slow.

The idea that the Millennium Falcon is "heavily armed" as the in-game ship summary says is laughable. The actual stats say otherwise, and the YT-2000 outperforms it in every way. The YT-2000 has shields of 320 SBD and armor of 114 RU. The MF has shields of 264 SBD and armor of 102 RU. It is a crime that the Millennium Falcon is not #1, and I argue it should have at least shields equal to the System Patrol Craft. Wookiepedia's entry on the MF says that "plates salvaged from an Imperial cruiser afforded the Falcon capital ship-class hull armor." At least in-game for XwA, that is a complete lie. The MF needs more shields and armor!

Another thing that is odd is that its weapons system is underpowered. Maybe it's my lack of understanding, but the "quad" nature of the turrets seems merely decorative. When sitting at a turret, they only fire one laser at a time, albeit rapidly. The real injustice comes when you try to link the turrets to fire forwards, you still only shoot 2 lasers at a time. Each time you fire, one laser comes from the turrets and one comes from the "forward" lasers that correspond to the 2 laser power indicators in the HUD. If you deplete the forward laser power, you can still shoot 1 laser at a time from the turrets. But It would be great if you could fire all lasers at once: all 4 lasers from both turrets plus the 2 forward lasers for a total of TEN LASERS. That would be powerful to do, but it cannot be done. Despite that, it'd be nice if you could link the lasers so that at minimum the 2 frontal lasers can be fired together, and possibly then also linking the turrets so that there's a choice in how to structure the lasers so that 4 could be fired at once in front. I think that would greatly alleviate the underpowered nature of the MF. Alternatively, the turrets should be changed to Turbolasers so that the strength of the weaponry is obvious.

I know that there's probably a reluctance to change the base stats of a ship, particularly a non-capital ship that is flown by the player. But, the MF is only used in the Endor missions, and it still needs an upgrade there too. Also, the Upgrade Project has had no reluctance in changing ship stats when the base game's failures were obvious, like the case with the Super Star Destroyer's length. I think that the Upgrade Project should consider changing the base stats of the MF, possibly linking more lasers to fire up front or changing the turrets to turbolasers, increasing its base speed, armor, and shield power.

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:57 am

Concerning the speed, at least pre-endor, it was only it's hyperlight speed (0.5 past lightspeed) that was faster than any other craft, hell according to the canon(both legends and current canon), it's sublight speed is only 75 mglt (the Sabra would probably be around 70ish MGLT, while the Otana would probably be around the same or slightly higher IMO, even thought the wiki put their XWA speed in there, since XWA is the only source for both craft), for comparison, the X-Wing is officially set at 100 mglt in both canons), so their sublight speed in-game is mostly a question of balance.

For the front laser those are probably there for a question of balance, I don't think in canon either the Falcon or the Sabra had those in canon, and anyway, the linking issue is an issue of the game engine, not really fixable for now. (and the auto-targeting turrets are usually used instead since they are seen as more versatile)

For the shield and hull, same reason as the laser : balancing.
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:27 am

Yeah I don't think we will update and make the Falcon more powerful. As it is it's already extremely powerful. (Any ships with turrets is stupidly powerful) I think at some point there actually was a quad turret version available and that thing just chewed through everything.
I also don't really see a need for the final missions, they are tough but doable. Making the Falcon even tougher would just cheapen those missions in my opinion.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Luke_Skywalker
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Luke_Skywalker » Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:02 pm

Forceflow wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:27 am
Yeah I don't think we will update and make the Falcon more powerful. As it is it's already extremely powerful. (Any ships with turrets is stupidly powerful) I think at some point there actually was a quad turret version available and that thing just chewed through everything.
I also don't really see a need for the final missions, they are tough but doable. Making the Falcon even tougher would just cheapen those missions in my opinion.
Considering the XWAU Otana's turrets have two fire points each instead of one and chew through everything, this is sounds valid.
When 900 years old you reach, look as good, you will not. Hmm?" -Yoda

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:47 pm

And remember, the original version had 4 per turret

Luke_Skywalker
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Luke_Skywalker » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:23 pm

Rookie_One1 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:47 pm
And remember, the original version had 4 per turret
I thought it only had one per turret. The XWAU Otana is massively overpowered compared to the retail version.
When 900 years old you reach, look as good, you will not. Hmm?" -Yoda

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:26 am

Just FYI, if the original model had 4 HPs for the turret mesh, then game would only fire a pair at most for any shot. To get it fire all 4 HP's in one shot, the mesh would have to be doubled to 8 HPs (2 HP's per barrel). I"ve not tested that, but it's true at least for starship craft.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:46 am

The movie Falcon‘s quad turrets also fired in sequences of 2, no point having it unload all barrels at once.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

JinKazama16
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by JinKazama16 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:52 am

And in Episode IX The Falcon is faster than Poe’s X-Wing.
I also tried the [WeaponRate] hook for the Falcon like the medical frigate scene in ROTJ, the turret sound i use is from DS ship upgrade pack wave files and it sounded better now 😂
Han Solo: She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:55 am

You are aware that XWA is situated in the legends timeline, and even then, during the galactic civil war ?

Master Qui-Gon
XWAU Member

Post by Master Qui-Gon » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:51 am

Ok, so...I am working on Sabra and Falcon and both will have profiles for the turrets ( 1 or 2 ) and (dual or quad) with weapon fire and recharge rates balanced. They also will have alternate engine blocks and boosters.

You will be able to make it your own.
Your focus determines your reality.

JinKazama16
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by JinKazama16 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:28 pm

Bman wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:26 am
Just FYI, if the original model had 4 HPs for the turret mesh, then game would only fire a pair at most for any shot. To get it fire all 4 HP's in one shot, the mesh would have to be doubled to 8 HPs (2 HP's per barrel). I"ve not tested that, but it's true at least for starship craft.
well you can also do change the 21: RotGunTurret to 5: Smallgun it will allow you to fire 4 HP's instead of 2 HP's, I tried meddling with the TG version by making the HP's to 4, but didn't work that's where I tried changing the Mesh Type from 21 to 5, and it worked nicely ;) this is before Qui-Gon's Version, and when his version came out the HP's are 4 but 2 HP's are working and I tried to change the Mesh Type from 21 to 5, again it worked
Han Solo: She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

JinKazama16
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by JinKazama16 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:29 pm

Master Qui-Gon wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:51 am
Ok, so...I am working on Sabra and Falcon and both will have profiles for the turrets ( 1 or 2 ) and (dual or quad) with weapon fire and recharge rates balanced. They also will have alternate engine blocks and boosters.

Will you be also updating the Cockpit instruments from SW Galaxies to SW Movie Versions? :D

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:37 pm

JinKazama16 wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:29 pm
Master Qui-Gon wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:51 am

Will you be also updating the Cockpit instruments from SW Galaxies to SW Movie Versions? :D
Yes. There is a new Beta member working on this and already has made great progress.

All this is going to take a lot of time to perfect though

Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:07 am

JinKazama16 wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:28 pm
Bman wrote:
well you can also do change the 21: RotGunTurret to 5: Smallgun it will allow you to fire 4 HP's instead of 2 HP's, I tried meddling with the TG version by making the HP's to 4, but didn't work that's where I tried changing the Mesh Type from 21 to 5, and it worked nicely ;) this is before Qui-Gon's Version, and when his version came out the HP's are 4 but 2 HP's are working and I tried to change the Mesh Type from 21 to 5, again it worked
Hi K, yes that's a good point. I forgot changing it to smallgun type will work, but it might act as normal fighter lasers (like X-wing) for the base model instead of A.I. shredding turret meshes. Thanks for experimenting. Good to know. Cheers.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

JinKazama16
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by JinKazama16 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:06 am

Bman wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:07 am
JinKazama16 wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:28 pm
Bman wrote:
Hi K, yes that's a good point. I forgot changing it to smallgun type will work, but it might act as normal fighter lasers (like X-wing) for the base model instead of A.I. shredding turret meshes. Thanks for experimenting. Good to know. Cheers.
You're Welcome, well it will still act as a turret but it can fire linked weapons :D it will shoot you dual link or quad link, you're still gonna get Shredded by its guns :lachtot:

I tried engaging ISDs I and II you'll do more damage

Pentay
Recruit

Post by Pentay » Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:20 pm

Why not add Hero versions as separate craft
We're all rebels, aren't we?