RTX Remix + XWAU?

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

RTX Remix + XWAU?

Calmputer
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Calmputer » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:39 pm

Nvidia recently revealed a way to mod any game that uses DirectX 8+ into supporting RTX/Raytracing and AI upscaling of textures, updating of models and seemingly a whole slew of other interesting things.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/ne ... ouncement/

Here's a quick Youtube video showing it enabling RTX for Morrowind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg52-HZhrFc

With XWAU translating the old DirectX 5 calls into DirectX 11 (I think?) calls... could this be used?

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:05 pm

That's something that @blue_max can best answer. It's a question of what GPUs will support this. If it's just the 40-Series I doubt we'll really invest much time into this. If it's more compatible it's something to look at. Although there are ways to get ray tracing into the game without this already. It's just a question of performance and of course the teams ability to spent time developing it.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:48 pm

Well, if nVidia decides to support DX11 with RTX remix, then that would enable Ray-tracing for XWA right away. However, I don't think the team will spend too much time updating the game assets through RTX remix, we're already doing that on our own, and that would marry the assets to nVidia.

Like Forceflow said, there are other ways to enable RT for XWA ;)

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:20 am

Thanks for the info blue_max.... I have a EVGA RTX 3070 graphics card... I have to go with the XWAUP team on this.... I like what they are doing with the game...... :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Sincerely, Rogue518
Last edited by rogue518 on Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

Calmputer
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Calmputer » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:11 am

That all makes sense, if you need an nvidia card to both do the upgrades and run the game upgraded then yeah, it wouldn't really be worth the time...

I did get the impression that you only needed a Geforce card to turn the gameworld into unreal engine assets, and probably do the AI texture upscaling. After you're actually done, I don't know that you necessarily need an nvidia card to run the game upgraded... Though admittedly I might just be naïve and optimistic there.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:25 pm

Calmputer wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:11 am
I did get the impression that you only needed a Geforce card to turn the gameworld into unreal engine assets, and probably do the AI texture upscaling. After you're actually done, I don't know that you necessarily need an nvidia card to run the game upgraded... Though admittedly I might just be naïve and optimistic there.
You're probably right, but I suspect you're definitely going need an nVidia card to run Raytracing this way.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:35 pm

NVIDIA RTX Remix will launch soon, making it easy to remaster supported DirectX 8 and DirectX 9 games with fixed function graphics pipelines.
The XWA engine doesn't use a fixed function pipeline.

In the vanilla game the Direct3D runtime receives already-transformed vertices. Most of the graphics computing in done in CPU.

With the new DDraw the vertices are transformed in shaders. Large parts of the graphics computing in done in GPU.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:53 pm

Remix only works with DX8 and DX9 games.
NVIDIA RTX Remix will launch soon, making it easy to remaster supported DirectX 8 and DirectX 9 games with fixed function graphics pipelines.