Editing S-Foils

A Forum dedicated to the Suggestion, Creation and Editing of XWA Dynamic Link Library Files

Moderator: JeremyaFr

Re: Editing S-Foils

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:24 am

That depends entirely on where the departure hyper point is in relation to the ship when it is triggered. I imagine you are using the simple skirmish editor and it varies. You could have more control with custom built missions. It is more a function on waypoints and current position than animation speed. Now if it were triggered by other craft orders beside "fly home" or "hyper to region" we might see them folded in more situations, but until that time I doubt you will see much change.
Image Image Image Image Image

Rebelyell
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Rebelyell » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:48 am

The mission in question is b5m7. xwings and b-wings along with a frigate hyper to the pirate station and then back when the mission is complete. Both instances utilize the hyperspace nav buoy and it seems that the craft hyper as soon as they come in range.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:03 am

Its likely that if we were to examine the waypoints, the previous orders waypoint is probably very close to the waypoint for the next "hyper to region" waypoint. The longer the distance the ship is from that departure or hyper to waypoint, the longer you will see the ship traveling with sfoils closed.

Rebelyell
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Rebelyell » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:36 am

I see. thank you for the reply

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:15 pm

Hello,
Before adding new features, I will first release a stable version of the hook with the "close s-foils in hyperspace" feature and the "separate s-foils and landing gears" feature.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:28 pm

Seems, sensible. I mostly tested simple skirmishes with all my bug reporting from my first batch. I'm going to try out some custom missions with some different scenarios to really put it thru the ringer.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:45 pm

UPDATE
Hello,
I've merged the changes from the WIP version to the stable version.

New features are:
  • auto closing s-foils in hyperspace
  • separate s-foils (V key) and landing gears (Ctrl+L key)

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:58 pm

Thanks Jeremy, fab job :D
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:55 pm

All hail Jeremy, official miracle-maker!
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:38 pm

Related to this, would it be possible to create a tool that would allow you to import an opt into it, then using sliders, or a text based interface like your hangar editor assigned to whatever rotational axis that the S-foil / landing gear animations use, use it to rotate the meshes to a desired open/closed angle, then allow you to export the mesh rotation data into the relevant ship.ini file? This would really help with not having to go ingame to see if your animated meshes are rotating to the correct position several times.

Edit: I used the hook downloader to update all my hooks and I don't think the S-foils hook is updating since CTRL+L seems to do nothing. Also it seems dated as of 23JAN19.

Code: Select all

[SFoils]
;mesh index, angle, opening speed, closing speed
0, 64, 2, 2
1, 64, 2, 2
2, 64, 2, 2
3, 64, 2, 2

CloseSFoilsInHyperspace = 1
SFoilsAnimationSpeed = 1

[SFoilsLandingGears]
;mesh index, angle, closing speed, opening speed
4, 64, 20, 3
5, 64, 20, 3
6, 50, 4, 3

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:13 pm

Driftwood wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:38 pm
Related to this, would it be possible to create a tool that would allow you to import an opt into it, then using sliders, or a text based interface like your hangar editor assigned to whatever rotational axis that the S-foil / landing gear animations use, use it to rotate the meshes to a desired open/closed angle, then allow you to export the mesh rotation data into the relevant ship.ini file? This would really help with not having to go ingame to see if your animated meshes are rotating to the correct position several times.
Nice suggestion.
I am working on it.
Driftwood wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:38 pm
Edit: I used the hook downloader to update all my hooks and I don't think the S-foils hook is updating since CTRL+L seems to do nothing. Also it seems dated as of 23JAN19.
The hook upload is fine. You can check the date here: https://github.com/JeremyAnsel/xwa_hook ... sfoils/zip

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:23 pm

xwa_sfoils_editor0.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:29 pm

Oh wow, that's really good :)
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:33 am

Neat! Thanks for taking my suggestion into consideration!

EDIT: I had to download the updated hook manually. Not a problem since I knew where to look. Maybe I need to re-download the most recent hook downloader?

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:31 am

XwaHooksSetup has not been updated since the first release on 27 Oct 2018.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:31 am

1) Run XwaHooksSetup.exe.

2) It will create a directory named "Hooks" and download the hooks from GitHub into this directory. To redownload the hooks, delete the directory "Hooks".

3) It will extract the hooks into a directory named "Setup".

4) Copy the content of the "Setup" directory in your XWA install directory.
- John Lydgate

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:08 pm

I must say that I too have problems with hooksetup.

I have deleted all folders and allowed access through firewall but it still creates folders and then exits without downloading anything.

Trev

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:39 pm

Hello,
Since this is not related to the s-foils hook, please write in the general Hooks thread.

To see if it shows an error, you can open a command prompt and run "XwaHooksSetup.exe".

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:30 pm

WIP
Hello,
Here is a WIP version of Xwa SFoils Editor.

Xwa SFoils Editor is a tool to edit and view s-foils and landing gears values.

EDIT: link removed

Saving the opt and ini files is not yet implemented. For now, the data are shown in a text box.

You can switch between opened and closed s-foils with the S-Foils checkbox.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:08 pm

I got this error when trying to open the Arc170Exterior.opt

Code: Select all

---------------------------
System
System.Exception: 8.5 is not a valid value for Int32. ---> System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.

at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)

at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)

at System.ComponentModel.Int32Converter.FromString(String value, NumberFormatInfo formatInfo)

at System.ComponentModel.BaseNumberConverter.ConvertFrom(ITypeDescriptorContext context, CultureInfo culture, Object value)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.ComponentModel.BaseNumberConverter.ConvertFrom(ITypeDescriptorContext context, CultureInfo culture, Object value)

at JeremyAnsel.Xwa.Config.XwaConfig.ToInt32(String text)

at XwaSFoilsEditor.SFoil.GetSFoilsList(String optFilename)

at XwaSFoilsEditor.MainWindow.LoadOpt(String filename)

at XwaSFoilsEditor.MainWindow.openButton_Click(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
OK   
It doesn't work with the B-Wing at all

Some cockpit meshes don't show at all, i.e. Shuttle, parts of the Xwing Cockpit, plus other craft I've tested, that either have s-foils of landing gear :)

The Slave 1 appears upside down when the s-foils are open, but this is probably due to the way it rotates :)

Brilliant work mate :)
- John Lydgate

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:09 pm

WIP
Now, when a craft has a bridge (B-Wing and Slave One), it will be aligned with the bridge.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:32 pm

The Slave One is fine now

But nothing happens with the Bwing, I thought it might have been something I did when building it, so I also tested the original TG version, nothing happens with that either :(

EDIT: Scrub what I said above, it does work for the Bwing, for some reason I renamed my Bwing.ini to Bwing1.ini, the reason it didn't work.

I really apologise if you've been pulling your hair out, it's me I'm off :irre: :irre: :irre: :irre:
- John Lydgate

Rebelyell
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Rebelyell » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:29 pm

I got it to work with the bwing, but ill test the og model right now

edit: The og opt and the xwaup opt dont have any angles or opening and closing speeds defined for some reason :?

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:55 am

Very nice, Jeremy. I was considering requesting something like this myself (although as an enhancement of the opt editor, not as a standalone tool). I have two suggestions:
  • I agree with DS's idea of having a slider, or else some means of watching the animation play. This would need an opening/closing mode toggle, though, since the two animations aren't always symmetric.
  • A button to display the rotation axis of the currently-selected mesh would be most helpful
Also, the B-Wing appears to have some non-obvious behavior. The main fuselage meshes have no rotation values, but the bridge meshes do? :-?

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:23 pm

keiranhalcyon7 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:55 am
Also, the B-Wing appears to have some non-obvious behavior. The main fuselage meshes have no rotation values, but the bridge meshes do? :-?
Yes.
When a craft has a bridge, the rotation of the bridge is applied to the whole model.