Tour Multiplayer Hook

A Forum dedicated to the Suggestion, Creation and Editing of XWA Dynamic Link Library Files

Moderator: JeremyaFr

Re: Tour Multiplayer Hook

Justagai
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Justagai » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:24 pm

Updated the hook to 2.1.1. Fixed MFD Wingmen issue.

jyanjyanjyan
Recruit

Post by jyanjyanjyan » Mon May 18, 2020 7:37 am

I'm using GameRanger to play multiplayer, but it seems to automatically go to mission selection and skip the part where you would choose the update rate (8, 29, or 59). I think the default update rate is 8. Does this mean that I can never choose a higher update if I use GameRanger? Can the default update rate be added to the .cfg file? Or, is there tutorial on how to get TCP/IP connection working without relying on third party software like GameRaanger?

Thanks so much for this hook. I tried your original patch years to try to play campaign but couldn't get it to work too well. This one works 98% of the time and is awesome!

Justagai
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Justagai » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:00 am

Apologies for the late reply. You can set the update rate in the .cfg file under "server_update_rate". If using Gameranger, the host can still press esc on the roster and set the update rate there.

You can use IPX as an alternative to TCP/IP. Use the IPX wrapper here: https://www.solemnwarning.net/ipxwrapper/

Ezwen
Recruit

Post by Ezwen » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:44 pm

Hi! I've tried the hook with the XWAU 2020 Mega Patch, and it works great so far. Thank you so much, lots of fun replaying the solo missions with my brother!

However, I've tried the hook with the XWAU 2020 Update Version 3.0, and I've noticed two main problems:
- the radio messages logs (in the bottom left corner) is empty, only the timestamps are shown but without any text
- all ships are shown in the same color in the UI, eg. in my case all ships were "blue" (as in "neutral"), instead of purple for Azameen crafts and yellow for the Viraxo crafts as should be

Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Or is there something that should be fixed in the hook to make it compatible with 3.0?

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:54 pm

Ezwen wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:44 pm
Hi! I've tried the hook with the XWAU 2020 Mega Patch, and it works great so far. Thank you so much, lots of fun replaying the solo missions with my brother!

However, I've tried the hook with the XWAU 2020 Update Version 3.0, and I've noticed two main problems:
- the radio messages logs (in the bottom left corner) is empty, only the timestamps are shown but without any text
- all ships are shown in the same color in the UI, eg. in my case all ships were "blue" (as in "neutral"), instead of purple for Azameen crafts and yellow for the Viraxo crafts as should be

Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Or is there something that should be fixed in the hook to make it compatible with 3.0?
Hi. The original Tour Multiplayer Hook is outdated now and during the creation of the TFTC many combability issues have been found.
JeremyaFr has updated and rewritten it to try and make it work with the latest versions.
Below is the current version. It should work fine but it's still classed as a WIP version.
Hope it works for you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Ezwen
Recruit

Post by Ezwen » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:03 am

Thank you for your answer! I'm thrilled to hear that the tour multiplayer hook will still receive updates :).

While I'm looking forward to try the next stable release, I will probably try out the WIP version − thanks for sharing it! If I find any problems with the WIP version, should I relay these problems here or elsewhere?

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:08 am

Ezwen wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:03 am
Thank you for your answer! I'm thrilled to hear that the tour multiplayer hook will still receive updates :).

While I'm looking forward to try the next stable release, I will probably try out the WIP version − thanks for sharing it! If I find any problems with the WIP version, should I relay these problems here or elsewhere?
Just to be clear the Hook is not being worked as such, only fixes for issues that appear.
We class this a WIP release until it's released online fully. It should be fully stable and is being tested all the time.
Yeah any issues please post it here. Thanks :)

Ezwen
Recruit

Post by Ezwen » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:42 pm

So I've tried extracting "xwa_hook_tourmultiplayer_WIP_2105121428.zip" into a fresh XWA + XWAU 3.0 install, but unfortunately "Tour of Duty" remains disabled in multiplayer :(

Is there something else I should do to make it work?

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:00 pm

Ezwen wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:42 pm
So I've tried extracting "xwa_hook_tourmultiplayer_WIP_2105121428.zip" into a fresh XWA + XWAU 3.0 install, but unfortunately "Tour of Duty" remains disabled in multiplayer :(

I seem to be able to select it and play ok. Did you copy the CFG file over too?
Have you added, altered any other files?
It maybe worth updating all the Hooks as there maybe a change in 1 to work with this.

Ezwen
Recruit

Post by Ezwen » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:27 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:00 pm
Ezwen wrote:

I seem to be able to select it and play ok. Did you copy the CFG file over too?
Have you added, altered any other files?
It maybe worth updating all the Hooks as there maybe a change in 1 to work with this.
Yes I did copy the CFG file over too. I haven't altered any other file, as far as I know.

I have tried updating the hooks (running XwaHooksSetup.exe and copying the content of the Setup folder and overwriting), but alas, it did not change anything either!

If I summarize everything I did so far:
- Fresh XWA install
- Installed XWAU
- Installed XWAU 3.0 patch
- Copy the content of xwa_hook_tourmultiplayer_WIP_2105121428 in the game folder
- Run XwaHooksSetup.exe, and copy the content of the Setup folder in the game folder

The "tour of duty" button remains disabled in the lobby, mysteriously...

Quick question: in the 2.1.1 release of the tour multiplayer hook, there were additional folders to copy in the game folder, namely COMBAT, MISSIONS, and WAVE, each containing various files. None of such folders are present in the xwa_hook_tourmultiplayer_WIP_2105121428 archive you provided in your previous message. Is that normal? Should I reuse the folders from the 2.1.1 version?

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:29 pm

I'm going to jump in here and go out a limb and say yes. Those folders are where all the content lives that the hook pulls from, and it might fail if the folders aren't there.
Image Image Image Image Image

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:40 pm

ual002 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:29 pm
I'm going to jump in here and go out a limb and say yes. Those folders are where all the content lives that the hook pulls from, and it might fail if the folders aren't there.
No! Do not install those folders!

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:42 pm

From what I can see those are mission folders and will screw up the XWAU. They are not needed for the hook

I can't say why it's not working right arm as it is for me and some others. This is why we do no support it in the XWAU right now.

I'm afraid there's nothing I can do right now. You'll have to hang on until @JeremyaFr next returns. Sorry

Ezwen
Recruit

Post by Ezwen » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:54 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:42 pm
From what I can see those are mission folders and will screw up the XWAU. They are not needed for the hook

I can't say why it's not working right arm as it is for me and some others. This is why we do no support it in the XWAU right now.

I'm afraid there's nothing I can do right now. You'll have to hang on until @JeremyaFr next returns. Sorry
No worries, thanks for the help, and good luck with everything else! :)

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:06 pm

Actually should he install the WIP .dll last in the list of steps? It's newer than hooks setup package I think.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Haakan
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Haakan » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:57 am

What's the last word on this, folks? Do we use WIP?
Lt. Colonel A. Araujo
Commander, 7th SpecOps Squadron "Alpha"
Battlegroup I
Emperor's Hammer.

CMDR/LC Alejandro Araujo/Alpha/Wing I/ISDII Hammer/BGI

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:22 pm

Ezwen wrote:

That's a known bug now. Sometimes if you go into to the campaign door in the main concourse and back it will work.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:24 pm

Haakan wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:57 am
What's the last word on this, folks? Do we use WIP?
I don't understand the question?
The WIP version is the only one available atm and has a few bugs and quirks. There is no newer version at this time or due soon.
XWAU is not using this hook right now so you use it as you choose
TFTC already uses the same hook in there mod.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:48 am

Hello,
You can try a previous version of the WIP hook.

xwa_hook_tourmultiplayer_WIP_2104161627.zip
xwa_hook_tourmultiplayer_WIP_2105121428.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

No Strings
Recruit

Post by No Strings » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:54 am

Thanks for all the effort you guys have put into this. It's like a dream come true.

I've got the hook installed and am able to select "Tour Of Duty" in multiplayer, but all the missions are greyed out and won't load when I double click them. Tried removing the * in front of the missions in the lst file, but no luck. Any thoughts?

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:18 am

You should do them as single player mode first as in XvT I guess

No Strings
Recruit

Post by No Strings » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:57 am

Already played through the whole campaign in single player. Can click on Tour of Duty and the music is different, but after clicking Load, all the missions are still greyed out. Tried a new pilot too. When I do that, Tour of Duty is just greyed out and not clickable at all. =(

Interesting note though. When I took the Combat, Missions, and Wave folders from the original post and overwrote the ones in the XWA folder, I did get new clickable multiplayer missions in the simulator. They're listed as (8 Player). Though the starfield backdrop is missing in all of them.

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:26 am

Starfield is missing because they have not the mission.ini file I presume
Last edited by capitanguinea on Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

buzzoid
Recruit

Post by buzzoid » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:09 am

First of all, thanks for all the work you guys put into this and the whole upgrade project overall! It's an entirely new experience with all the new visuals :).

Unfortunately, I have trouble to make the coop function work properly as well. Without the mission files from the OP, the missions are all greyed out (I used the "topace" pilotname to unlock everything). Even though I managed to select a mission per double clicking, there was only 1 ship I could assign a player to.

From my understanding, the missions from the OP are edited to allow 7 other players to fly a ship, which makes sense for me. That's why it's confusing for me that we shouldn't install these folders. I understand that they are outdated, but how would this work otherwise?

guru_redeye
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by guru_redeye » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:45 pm

Well basicly, installing tour multiplayer missions looks like:

- Extract all files from Justagai's XWA_TourMultiplayer_Hook (first post of this thread) to XWAU

- Overwrite the hook files in XWAU with those you can extract from Jeremy's xwa_hook_tourmultiplayer_WIP_2105121428.zip

- Optionally, adding tacofficer hook ( https://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewt ... p?p=159268 ) improves certain audio messages in the missions. All of the .wav files of this hook are actually already included in XWAU, only the hook dll itself and some other files are missing.

Usage:

If you are the host or just want to test the whole thing in solo, in XWAU, select Flight Simulator > Multiplayer > Host Game > Tour of Duty then hit Load button. From the mission list, select a campaign mission which has an "(8 player)" tag.

In multiplayer mode, once all players have been placed in the FG slots, the player in the first occupied FG slot launches the mission (not the host!).

P.s.: the most important part is in Jeremy's xwa_hook_tourmultiplayer_WIP_2105121428.zip. If you want to fly a custom .tie mission in multiplayer mode (e.g. created by you using AlliED) the only thing you actually need is this hook itself (beyond sharing your mission file and your MISSION.LST file with other people).

EDIT: One more thing. Peeps don't complain about 'missions being greyed out' when hitting Load button. Just go ahead and click on them a few times and you should get in ;)