TrackIR workaround

A Forum dedicated to the Suggestion, Creation and Editing of XWA Dynamic Link Library Files

Moderator: JeremyaFr

TrackIR workaround

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:46 am

UPDATE (May 22, 2020): Before trying the procedure below, make sure you run the game directly with xwingalliance.exe instead of using the launcher. Some users have reported that the launcher messes up TrackIR.

Last week, someone reported problems trying to use the native TrackIR support that I put in the CockpitLook hook. We could not find the root cause of the problem; but we did find a workaround and this person was able to play the game with it.

So, if TrackIR isn't working for you, try the following:

1. Install FreePIE: https://andersmalmgren.github.io/FreePIE/

2. Download the following file:

(EDIT: Updated on Oct 19, 2020 to fix the indentation bug)
TrackIR-through-FreePIE.zip

3. The ZIP above contains two files: CockpitLook.cfg and TrackIR-to-FreePIE.py. Make a backup copy of your CockpitLook.cfg (it should be in your XWA install directory) and replace it with the CockpitLook.cfg from the ZIP file.

4. Run FreePIE.

5. In FreePIE go to File -> Open and select the "TrackIR-to-FreePIE.py" script from the ZIP file.

6. Open TrackIR and start tracking your headset.

7. In FreePIE, go to Script -> Run Script. The window at the bottom should display values read from TrackIR. If not, check that TrackIR is running properly.

8. Leave TrackIR and FreePIE running, and run XWA. Tracking should work now.

Honestly, I don't like this very much. I prefer to have native TrackIR support and there's been only one reported instance of this issue; but I put this here in case someone needs it.

The lines in the "TrackIR-to-FreePIE.py" script that begin with "diagnostics" are not really necessary -- they are just for debugging purposes. You may delete these lines once you're confident your setup is working properly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by blue_max on Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Macki
Recruit

Post by Macki » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:54 am

Hi,

i also have problems with Trackir. If i try it with the normal installer, the game crashes after the mission starting sequence. Without Trackir everything runs fine.

Tried this solution, but FreePIE gave me an error in line five "unexpected indent"

mouse emulation works

Acer Arpire3, Win10, Trackir 5.4.2.

Thanks and Cheers

Macki

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:56 am

Macki wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:54 am
Tried this solution, but FreePIE gave me an error in line five "unexpected indent"
There was a bug in the indentation of the file. I just fixed it and re-uploaded it. Please try again.