some ideas I start wondering about

A Forum dedicated to the Suggestion, Creation and Editing of XWA Dynamic Link Library Files

Moderator: JeremyaFr

some ideas I start wondering about

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:53 pm

I was most impressed about hooks system. The one about SLAM and shields make me wonder if it is possible to realize one that has the craft stat as issue.
this way you could fix and edit the ships without mess with the .exe file...
imagine a line which render the close s-foils as a bonus in top speed and render the open s-foils as a bonus in maneuvrability.
imagine the chance to set up stats for tie defender and tie advanced back to TIE Fighter standards, the one to make Y-wing the sturdy workhorse it is etc...
it would be possible?

Safe-Keeper
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Safe-Keeper » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:13 pm

imagine a line which render the close s-foils as a bonus in top speed and render the open s-foils as a bonus in maneuvrability.
That's a Rogue Squadron invention. You don't see them close their s-foils to go faster in the films, and it wouldn't make a difference either way in the vacuum of space.

As for editing ship stats, that's already possible with utilities like Mxvted :) .

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:05 pm

He means without having to edit the .exe via MXvTED, say via an .ini file. Frankly this would be really awesome but I have no idea if it would be viable and be able to override the ship stats in the .exe.

If this was possible to define all ship stats and text based information via .ini file that circumvents the game .txt and .exe references (somehow) then we would essentially have unlimited shipslots that could be accessed via mission file based .ini configuration.

Frankly though, I doubt this is entirely viable. Though I think the TIE Bomber has different weapon fire rate stats defined in the craft specific .ini?

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:56 pm

And the T/B is precisely the case that make me wonder too. It would be a revolutionary exploitation if it is possible... crossed fingers

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:38 pm

Having ini files accept stats does make XWA more modular (along the lines of MS Flight Simulator)
the internal exe DB is limited, but if stats could be read from ini it more-or-less opens up that limit since another hook could swap in-out craft at will.

Trev

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:39 pm

Safe-Keeper wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:13 pm
That's a Rogue Squadron invention. You don't see them close their s-foils to go faster in the films, and it wouldn't make a difference either way in the vacuum of space.

As for editing ship stats, that's already possible with utilities like Mxvted :) .
Actually, the idea that closed S-foils make you faster originated in the X-Wing books, as I recall, and it's represented in the 1995 game Rebel Assault II.

In any case, being able to subvert the exe via ini file would be a big step forward.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Haakan
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Haakan » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:02 pm

Trevor wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:38 pm
Having ini files accept stats does make XWA more modular (along the lines of MS Flight Simulator)
the internal exe DB is limited, but if stats could be read from ini it more-or-less opens up that limit since another hook could swap in-out craft at will.

Trev
Indeed , I was about to ask for this topic. The mission object does part of the job.

If we can replace stats via hooks, it'd be a nice workaround.
Lt. Colonel A. Araujo
Commander, 7th SpecOps Squadron "Alpha"
Battlegroup I
Emperor's Hammer.

CMDR/LC Alejandro Araujo/Alpha/Wing I/ISDII Hammer/BGI

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:35 pm

One easy way to do it is that when closing the s-foils, instead of giving a "slam-like" boost, it would simply change the power distribution to dumping all the power normally routed to the laser canons to the engine
BattleDog wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:39 pm
Actually, the idea that closed S-foils make you faster originated in the X-Wing books, as I recall, and it's represented in the 1995 game Rebel Assault II.
If you are referencing when Rascall Squadrons get decimated and only Rookie One manage to escape, in fact i'm pretty sure that the reason he left his S-Foils closed was not to give himself a boost, but because his best options was to escape into hyperspace....which means leaving his s-foils closed
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:41 pm

Rookie_One1 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:35 pm
One easy way to do it is that when closing the s-foils, instead of giving a "slam-like" boost, it would simply change the power distribution to dumping all the power normally routed to the laser canons to the engine
Okay, now that makes a lot of sense. Would also explain why in Ep IV when the fighters are first approaching the Death Star when they open their S-foils they slow down as well; power distribution is re-balanced to charge the lasers.
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor v1.15.6
Current software WIPs: TIE Layout and Cutscene Editor, TIE/XvT Cockpit Editor
Libraries / Format specs: *.tie, *.plt, *.tfr, *.lfd , *.act, *.dat image files, *.fnt