Request: Custom Mod support for Launcher

A Forum dedicated to the Suggestion, Creation and Editing of XWA Dynamic Link Library Files

Moderator: JeremyaFr

Request: Custom Mod support for Launcher

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:31 am

Hi Guys,

I like to add in the future some mods (ex. XvT conversion / Xwing conversion) and for this reason I ask if is possibile add a custom mod support to Launcher.

Actually XWA have different limits about this point, for example the missions must be inserted in the subfolder "Missions" and the file names are "partially" forced.

Similar suituation for subfolder "Wave\MISSIONVOICE"

My idea (if is theoretically possible) is hook the game and launcher by checking a new file (ex. LauncherMod.cfg) that contain the mods informations:

// LauncherMod.cfg //
[XVT)
Description = X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter
SubFolder = XvT

[XWC)
Description = X-Wing Conversion
SubFolder = XWC

[TTCC]
The Tai-Corva Campaign
SubFolder = TTCC

etc...

///

and add in the Launcher a ComboBox with description "Game" that in case like this contain these values:

X-Wing Alliance
X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter
X-Wing Conversion
The Tai-Corva Campaign

If in the root of game exist a file with a name like this 'LauncherMod.cfg' and you select "X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter" and after press "Play": the game search file files in these folder:

Missions\XvT
Movies\XvT
Wave\MISSIONVOICE\XvT
(root)\XvT (for pilots only *.plt)

instead of

Missions\
Movies\
Wave\MISSIONVOICE\
(root)\

So in this way I can create a large number of mods without have limits about the default folder that keep as it for XWA.

I don't known how Is hard or if is possible, but in positive case a modification like this can open the door to other mods without too much complicated compromises.

Thanks !!

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:48 am

This is already somewhat possible with the Palpatine Total Converter which is used for the TFTC. While it's not a one-click solution it's a lot more flexible especially since full conversions most likely also need exe-modifications and hook tunings and stuff like that. So I don't think it makes a lot of sense to built another solution besides Palpatine.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:48 am

Forceflow wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:48 am
This is already somewhat possible with the Palpatine Total Converter which is used for the TFTC. While it's not a one-click solution it's a lot more flexible especially since full conversions most likely also need exe-modifications and hook tunings and stuff like that. So I don't think it makes a lot of sense to built another solution besides Palpatine.
You have right, in theory can be another more easy and flexible solution:

Create the mod Folder in the root of game ex (XvT):

Ex:

(XWA folder)/XvT

So the game try to search each file in the mod folder, if the file not exist try to load it in the original folder:

(XWA folder)

In this mode you can override any files without limits and you don't need to replicate the entere game structure, but only the file/folder that need to mod.

To do another example:

If you create a mod folder "XWA_test1"

with structure:

(XWA folder)\XWA_test1\Missions\1B5M4G.TIE

The game run exactly like before but at the place to load B5M4G.TIE from: "(XWA folder)\Missions" , load it from "(XWA folder)\XWA_test1\Missions\"

So you can easy switch all mod you want (that in the future I think will be a lot..) with one click without pass to "Palpatine Total Converter"

This is what happen in general when a game have a mod support.

However I already undestand that a solution like this is not easy to hook.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:00 pm

We're constantly looking at ways to support campaigns easier. Things for example set map and hull icon numbers I will be working on.

We can't do the stuff you refer to. We can't point to totally new folders for things like missions. Nor do I think it's necessary anyway
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Haakan
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Haakan » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:24 pm

Suppose you have say TFTC installed. What if you want to create or play an additional mod?
Lt. Colonel A. Araujo
Commander, 7th SpecOps Squadron "Alpha"
Battlegroup I
Emperor's Hammer.

CMDR/LC Alejandro Araujo/Alpha/Wing I/ISDII Hammer/BGI

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:33 am

Hello,
The current way is to have multiple installs of XWA.
Make a copy of the main XWA directory and install the mods you want to the new directory.