Suggestion: Visuals for Destroyed subsystems

A Forum dedicated to the Suggestion, Creation and Editing of XWA Dynamic Link Library Files

Moderator: JeremyaFr

Suggestion: Visuals for Destroyed subsystems

theonegalen
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by theonegalen » Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:19 pm

How difficult would it be to add a particle emitter to destroyed subsystems for capital ships? Imagine a basic zero-g fire/explosive decompression or debris cloud trailing behind a destroyed shield generator dome, gun turret or engine. I'm thinking a basic billboard animation that would expand from a thick, small area next to the destroyed subsystem to a wide, diffuse area away from the ship. Kind of like the fire spews that happen when you shoot the hull with a laser, but more persistent and locked to the absolute position in space instead of relative to the ship's hull. This way it looks like an expanding trail behind the damaged ship and the more subsystems are destroyed, the more damaged the ship appears.

I'm thinking smoke/vapor/debris trails like Kerbal Space Program's SRBs with the smokescreen mod, visually, though maybe not so thick.
srb smoke.png
Also, the Battle of the Dreadnoughts fanfilm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jlo081vSQQ&t=95s
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:39 pm

Interesting idea. It may not be possible exactly as you described it, but maybe we can do something similar. I'll see what I can do about this in the near future. Thanks for the suggestion!

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:20 am

This would also be great idea for the trailing .dat files that game .exe assigns to warhead .opt models. Animation effects added to exhaust.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.