XWAU: Sound improvements

All the XWAU recent release news from the project can be found here

XWAU: Sound improvements

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon May 31, 2021 2:54 pm

Hello everybody! :D We've been working on some stuff behind the scenes for a while. Now I can give you some proper details.
One of the XWA areas I personally felt hasn't had much attention in many years was the games sounds and effects.
So I set the genius that is JeremyaFr some impossible tasks but as usually he blew us away and made it happen!
Basically he has unlocked tons of areas related to how the game works, so now we have loads of new options!

By adding custom folders and LST files in the Wave folder we can make craft in game use unique sounds whereas before they were limited to a select few.

Laser Sounds
Now we can define sounds on each ship or station for more than the default 4.
We can have a ship fire RebelLaser in the normal slot and for example EmpireLaser in the Turbo slot for lots of control.
More than that though we can use unique sounds and apply them to custom craft.
So now we can give a ship like Slave I it's own laser sound and not affect other craft!
It's also going to make custom campaigns with ships like Droid Starfighters more unique.

Engine Sounds
The same applies to Engine interior sounds.
Each starfighter can have a different internal noise for more variety. So we can really get the feel of being inside a totally different fighter.

Flyby Sounds
As above again but this can also be applied to Starships now too.
So for instance if you have a Corvette flying past you at high speed it can have a unique sound.
With all 3 of the above sounds alone we now have a fully functioning unique sounding ship, such as Slave I.

EngineWash Sounds
We can setup different EngineWash sounds for different Starships too if needed.
So in theory a Nebulon B can sound different to a Calamari.
While this works on Starships it doesn't work with the smaller class vehicles as they don't have any Engine Wash.

Engine Take Off Sounds
Recently included in Update 3 but we now can add variation to the take off noises, in particular for Transports.
We can set ships to use either the standard Landing Gear noise on launch or instead use the Falcon take off sound effect.
So if you use a custom ship such as the Ghost or other large craft you can make it sound better on launch.
The Millennium Falcon and Outrider have already been fixed to use this sound.

The hook details for those 5 are here: http://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 6&start=75

Hangars Sounds
One of the great new options is to use the above system to apply to the Hangar ambient sounds too!
No longer does the Azzameen Station and the Rebel Calamaris have to share the same hangar noises.
Now we can have different background sounds for any starship that has a functioning hangar opt.
So if you start on a Calamari and land on a Platform, or if you are using Imperial campaigns then every Hangar can sound different if you wish.

Full thread here: http://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewto ... &start=275

S-Foil Sounds
Just unlocked is the ability to do the same with S-foils!
So now the B-wing and X-wing can have unique wing sounds. Craft without S-foils but that use the function can be set to Blank or other sounds.
Also ofc custom ships such as the U-wing or ARC-170 can also use unique sounds in your setup.

Full thread here: http://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewto ... &start=225

Any settings in the INI files to do with Sounds still take control over the custom sounds.
INI files will be updated with any custom sounds that are added to the XWAU as we release them.

All that plus you can still use the Hook replacement system to change a certain sound to another.
For example in Update 3 you will have found that the YT Transports now have different Hyperdrive sounds to others. The YT1300 and Otana have different MFTakeOff sounds being used. This is because the YT1300 launches slower.

I've just released my own Sound Upgrade set for the first time in 20 years! It uses some new custom Hangar sounds in it.
So you can get some idea of how these new features will work. (These sounds may not be in any XWAU release though)

The XWAU and TFTC are working together and are going to add lots of new sound options as soon as we can.
So look forward to them later in the year as we try and make X-Wing Alliance sound even better than it ever has! :)
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost