PREVIEW: Effects ddraw 2.0 with enhanced GPU support

All the XWAU recent release news from the project can be found here

Re: PREVIEW: Effects ddraw 2.0 with enhanced GPU support

syncopic
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by syncopic » Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:13 pm

[/quote] Did you remember to change back the config value in hooks.ini?
With ddraw "1.x" (no 3D renderer hook) you need to have IsHookD3DEnabled = 1
[/quote]

I made complete backup files of every 4 files (hooks.ini / ddraw.cfg. / ddraw.dll / Hook_Cockpitlook.dll) and restored from the backup folder. For sure i checked, if the changes are past with the backup files.

I notice sound problems (hanging and loop of effects) - the whole sound system seams to be very sensitive and not really stable :/ I´m using a semi-pro Tascam USB audio interface, but changing to onboard soundcard (Realtek) doesn`t change anything.

All i want is playing ... as this little blonde said last time :^^:
It´s not a bug - it´s the user.

klickhom
Cadet 4th Class

Post by klickhom » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:28 pm

https://nrbkserver.duckdns.org/nextclou ... aLDSrpa9Qs
VR_BordersBug (video and screenshot).
When I press ESC to go to menu the borders on the screen keep the cockpit more or less and the center, the menu. Only happens there, so not too important.
It's visible on the edge of vision.
It could be something from WMR+STEAMVR, it also happens to me in Blade and Sorcery.

WMR HP Reverb G2
AMD RX 5700 XT

Question about sun flares.
I like the blinding effect but not the lens effect geometric shapes.
Can I have only the blinding light?
SSAO.cfg
flare_intensity = 0
Completelly removes the effect.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:10 pm

This might be an bug that isn't connected @blue_max, my test system is a bit of a mess.

I loaded the pilot proving grounds took off, all ok.
Hit H to restart and everything is much brighter and the ships more reflective.
Tried on the newest version.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:50 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:10 pm
Hit H to restart and everything is much brighter and the ships more reflective.
I just uploaded a new version today. You can try it to see if the problem is gone.

LinusWP
Cadet 4th Class

Post by LinusWP » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:35 pm

blue_max wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:50 pm
I just uploaded a new version today. You can try it to see if the problem is gone.
The HUD indeed works in the hangar now, but I get white outlines around things:
See this screenshot

tomjeffersonjones
Recruit

Post by tomjeffersonjones » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:36 pm

I'm troubleshooting some very minor issues with XWAUP 2020 + Update 5 + the latest ddraw posted here, running in Track IR mode with pose_corrected_headtracking = 0 added to cockpitlook.cfg and the necessary alterations to ddraw.cfg and hooks.ini posted in this thread.

Just running flatscreen, on a 2080ti and 144hz monitor - performance is amazing if I don't touch refresh rate - but I don't get animated hangar landings, at least on the family pad as that's the extent of my save. My ship just gets frozen in the opening landing approach, though the game is still running and I can enter the debrief just fine via CMD menu.

Limiting refresh to 60hz via my nvidia control panel, as is recommended here and elsewhere, fixes this and allows the landing to proceed.

But when so limited, my concourse menus have a very laggy mouse response and animations such as briefing wireframes move at a crawl. This is in contrast to a great menu response and feel when refresh is unlimited. Flight gameplay is still great though, so again its a minor annoyance.

I have a lot of troubleshooting steps I have yet to try, but just thought I'd float the issue here to see if its a common thing to lag the 2D menus to hell when fps is locked.

So far I've tried:

low-latency mode on and off in Nvidia CP
Gysync off in Nvidia CP
Vsync on/off and app controlled in Nvidia CP
A few different combinations of v-sync settings in ddraw.cfg, including hangar specific switch on/off, vsync on/off globally and different combos of each.

I've yet to try simple things like running with older ddraw 2.0's or none at all just using the standard package. Also haven't updated hooks beyond what was installed with Update 5.

Anyway, dumb minor problem and totally not a big deal, so please no one waste their time unless its a simple thing I'm missing!

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:09 pm

tomjeffersonjones wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:36 pm
I'm troubleshooting some very minor issues with XWAUP 2020 + Update 5 + the latest ddraw posted here...
The animations in the Concourse should be locked at 25fps or the mission briefings will not sync with the audio. If you want to run the animations "full-speed" there's a setting in VRParams.cfg (concourse_animations_something_25fps), but, again, the briefings will suffer. You can try that setting and the VSync settings in DDraw.cfg before you go any further. I think the mouse lag you're reporting is simply a side effect of running everything at 25fps and probably can't be avoided for now.

klickhom
Cadet 4th Class

Post by klickhom » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:27 pm

Tracking loss bug with latest ddraw 27.03.2022

Start mission
Press ESC to go to menu
Return to mission

Result: loss of tracking or something.

https://nrbkserver.duckdns.org/nextclou ... php/f/7415
TrackingLoss_2022-03-28 20-20-38.mkv

Exit mission.
Restart mission.
Tracking works again.

m0rgg
XWAU Member

Post by m0rgg » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:55 pm

klickhom wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:27 pm
Tracking loss bug with latest ddraw 27.03.2022

Start mission
Press ESC to go to menu
Return to mission

Result: loss of tracking or something.

https://nrbkserver.duckdns.org/nextclou ... php/f/7415
TrackingLoss_2022-03-28 20-20-38.mkv

Exit mission.
Restart mission.
Tracking works again.
I'm pretty sure I know what's happening. The fix for the "reticle pips in the wrong position" is disabling the tracking when you go into 2D mode (like ESC menu), and it's not being reenabled properly when going back into 3D.
It should be a relatively easy fix. Stay tuned.

syncopic
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by syncopic » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:46 pm

Newest ddraw installed - same bug.
After playing a mission - return to hangar - want to go to briefing - crash.
Therefore also the "mission accomplished" is not saved, if i return to game, the same mission appears - so i can´t get forward in game.

Link for dump-file:
http://www.syncopic.de/download/XwingAl ... e.2280.dmp

I´ll try complete new installations in four folders:
1. folder = Original installation (GOG)
2. folder = XWAU with Megapatch 5 and newest Hook_Jostick_ff.dll (otherwise my Hotas is not working)
3. folder = XWAU with DDRAW Speedup with the older DDRAW from first post
4. folder = XWAU with newest DDRAW and newest Hooks

m0rgg
XWAU Member

Post by m0rgg » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:08 pm

m0rgg wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:55 pm
I'm pretty sure I know what's happening. The fix for the "reticle pips in the wrong position" is disabling the tracking when you go into 2D mode (like ESC menu), and it's not being reenabled properly when going back into 3D.
It should be a relatively easy fix. Stay tuned.
I fixed this and created a pull request. The reticle pips and the headtracking should be ok in the next ddraw 2.0 alpha drop.

m0rgg
XWAU Member

Post by m0rgg » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:18 pm

klickhom wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:28 pm
https://nrbkserver.duckdns.org/nextclou ... aLDSrpa9Qs
VR_BordersBug (video and screenshot).
When I press ESC to go to menu the borders on the screen keep the cockpit more or less and the center, the menu. Only happens there, so not too important.
It's visible on the edge of vision.
It could be something from WMR+STEAMVR, it also happens to me in Blade and Sorcery.

WMR HP Reverb G2
AMD RX 5700 XT
Yes, I believe it's a WMR+SteamVR issue, not from XWA.
In the newest versions, the 2D content is shown as a VR overlay, with the black background being just a SteamVR function to cover the typical "grid".

From openvr.h, it would seem that there is a problem with the alpha parameter that prevents the color to cover the app rendering, but that is provided by WMR/SteamVR.
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/openvr ... vr.h#L3357

m0rgg
XWAU Member

Post by m0rgg » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:20 pm

syncopic wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:13 pm
I notice sound problems (hanging and loop of effects) - the whole sound system seams to be very sensitive and not really stable :/ I´m using a semi-pro Tascam USB audio interface, but changing to onboard soundcard (Realtek) doesn`t change anything.
For the sound issues, try to disable any "sound mirroring" disabled in SteamVR and set your headset audio device to default in Windows.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:26 pm

syncopic wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:46 pm
Link for dump-file:
Thanks for posting this. This is very helpful for us. I'll take a look.

Also: what mission was this?

syncopic
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by syncopic » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:11 am

m0rgg wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:20 pm
syncopic wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:13 pm
For the sound issues, try to disable any "sound mirroring" disabled in SteamVR and set your headset audio device to default in Windows.
I´m playing with speakers (no headset) over a Tascam US-366 Audio Interface - no effects at all.
I recognized that playing completly without music, the loops / hangs are very reduced up to no loops / hangs.

syncopic
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by syncopic » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:29 am

blue_max wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:26 pm
syncopic wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:46 pm
Link for dump-file:
Thanks for posting this. This is very helpful for us. I'll take a look.

Also: what mission was this?
I played the ... the first mission "Imperial Convoy" - started new again with a pilot file which has just finished the "private" missions before.

Meanwhile i´ve checked:
Every XWAU version - on leaving to windows = crash (mostly in Hook_Normals.dll, sometimes in Hook_Music.dll) - can it be, that the DLLs are not unloaded clearly in time, so they crash ?

- XWAU 2020 > no crashes while flying or go to debriefing, pilot career is saved
- XWAU 2020 with Megapatch 5 > the same, no crashes
- XWAU 2020 with Megapatch 5 and all the newest hooks > the same, no crashes

Today i will test both versions with DDraw speedup (with older ddraw.dll and the newest) and give feedback ;)

Thanks for your support ! :D

syncopic
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by syncopic » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:46 pm

I´m getting crazy ...
I´ve tested the versions with speedup (new and older ddraw.dll) and the version without speedup.

Without speedup game runs without crash but only with renamed "Hook_Pilot.dll" to "alt_Hook_Pilot.dll.alt", so that is not loaded. Otherwise try to go further in missions, mission won´t load - crash.

With speedup - neither new or older ddraw.dll - mission crashs while loading or within a few seconds after start (kernel.dll - or time.dll - or just crash without description of any dll).

I have to say that the pc is working very well, absolutely no problems with any other software or game, no overclocking or anything else.
I really would love to play with speedup, because it´s outstanding what screen shows, but at the moment i don´t see the way ... :/ - now i´m updating to net-framework 4.8 (before i had 4.0 - read in other thread) ... may the force be with ... ehm ... me :D

Maybe a dump question ... could this cause on the used GOG-version or Windows 7 ?
By the way ... fun fact ... XWAU is using only one cpu-kernel, right ? If i manage alliance.exe to use only one cpu-kernel (with task manager), game is not playable (maybe about 15 fps). If i let it use all 4 cpu-kernels, it is working as good as it can without speedup ... :?

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:41 pm

syncopic wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:46 pm
Without speedup game runs without crash but only with renamed "Hook_Pilot.dll" to "alt_Hook_Pilot.dll.alt", so that is not loaded. Otherwise try to go further in missions, mission won´t load - crash.
Why did you disable this hook? Did you keep it disabled when testeing ddraw-2.0?
With speedup - neither new or older ddraw.dll - mission crashs while loading or within a few seconds after start (kernel.dll - or time.dll - or just crash without description of any dll).
And this happens with any mission in XWAU megapatch 5?

I checked your crashdump, but I couldn't get anything useful out of it. Sometimes the game creates multiple crash dumps for the same crash, so maybe if you upload other dumps I could see more information.

I think maybe your hooks need to be updated (?) Try moving your hooks to a different directory and then download the latest versions using Jeremy's hook downloader (see the Downloads section).

BTW, the game will always crash if you Alt+Tab into any other app while flying (I believe you reported this above).
Maybe a dump question ... could this cause on the used GOG-version or Windows 7 ?
I also run the GoG version, so that should be fine. However, VR doesn't work in Win 7 and some effects may also be broken. Is there a way you can test again in Win 10?
By the way ... fun fact ... XWAU is using only one cpu-kernel, right ? If i manage alliance.exe to use only one cpu-kernel (with task manager), game is not playable (maybe about 15 fps). If i let it use all 4 cpu-kernels, it is working as good as it can without speedup ... :?
I believe Jeremy enabled multiple cores about a year ago and now the sound system takes advantage of that (?) So it's a good idea to let the game use multiple cores now.

LinusWP
Cadet 4th Class

Post by LinusWP » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:56 pm

LinusWP wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:35 pm
The HUD indeed works in the hangar now, but I get white outlines around things:
See this screenshot
Any idea what might be the cause of this? It happens only on the new version.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:41 pm

LinusWP wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:56 pm
Any idea what might be the cause of this? It happens only on the new version.
I have no idea what's happening here. I can't see this problem on my end. Can you share more details about your setup and the mission where this happens? Basically, how can I reproduce this problem?

If I were to guess, I'd say this looks MSAA-related.

LinusWP
Cadet 4th Class

Post by LinusWP » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:44 pm

I'm playing on an Oculus Rift S. The white outlines aren't there all the time, but I can't consistently make them (dis)appear. Seems to depend on what direction I'm facing, maybe?

This happens both on an up-to-date install (Update 5) with and without TFTC, and on an Update 4 install with XWC, so it does not seem to depend on a specific mission. It did not happen on older versions of ddraw.dll, and downgrading to any previous version gets rid of the outlines.

EDIT: Switching from SSDO (Directional) to SSAO (Ambient) gets rid of the outlines. The outlines seem to appear when I have the sun behind me, but I'm not 100% certain.

syncopic
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by syncopic » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:41 pm

Hi bluemax ;)

Why did you disable this hook? Did you keep it disabled when testeing ddraw-2.0?
I have 3 folders with XWA(U) installations on my hdd - for easier testing:
- XWA (Original GOG)
- XWA 2020 (Copy of GOG folder with XWAU incl. Megapatch 5)
- XWA 2020_s (Copy of GOG folder with XWAU incl. Megapatch 5 and speedup)

The (older) installation without speedup didn´t work with Hook_Pilot.dll "activated" - one hour ago i made a new installation after installing net framework 4.8 and obviously the file can be "activated" now. :? it´s weird.

And this happens with any mission in XWAU megapatch 5?
With my pilot file i only could check mission "rescue uncle antan" - earlier installation crashed after every mission (i tried) when going to debriefing - without saving pilots progress.
But i have to admit that i´m a little lost in so many crashes with different dlls. The missions i tried were all the time the 2-3 missions after the "private missions".

I checked your crashdump, but I couldn't get anything useful out of it. Sometimes the game creates multiple crash dumps for the same crash, so maybe if you upload other dumps I could see more information.
I will try to get some crashdumps with actual installation (i´m afraid of, it´s not difficult) and post the links here ;) Is it ok, if i rename the dumps like "crash_01.dmp ... crash_02_dmp ... ?

I think maybe your hooks need to be updated (?) Try moving your hooks to a different directory and then download the latest versions using Jeremy's hook downloader (see the Downloads section).
This i have already done - also before reinstalling and trying. The actual hooks are saved and will be restored after every reinstallation of XWAU - otherwise my hotas is not working :^^:

BTW, the game will always crash if you Alt+Tab into any other app while flying (I believe you reported this above).
I started the taskmanager directly with STRG ALT DEL and made the setting - but only for testing with only one cpu core.

I also run the GoG version, so that should be fine. However, VR doesn't work in Win 7 and some effects may also be broken. Is there a way you can test again in Win 10?
Ah - ok. I´m not using VR - just a sinlge monitor. Yes i have one Win10 pc here and can check this.

I believe Jeremy enabled multiple cores about a year ago and now the sound system takes advantage of that (?) So it's a good idea to let the game use multiple cores now.
Wow ! In this case sound needs a lot of cpu power - amazing. Last try without speedup runs without crash but with loop of music - so i rather have to deactivate music.

Many thanks for your support and your endurance !
Last edited by syncopic on Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LinusWP
Cadet 4th Class

Post by LinusWP » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:41 pm

LinusWP wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:44 pm
I'm playing on an Oculus Rift S. The white outlines aren't there all the time, but I can't consistently make them (dis)appear. Seems to depend on what direction I'm facing, maybe?

This happens both on an up-to-date install (Update 5) with and without TFTC, and on an Update 4 install with XWC, so it does not seem to depend on a specific mission. It did not happen on older versions of ddraw.dll, and downgrading to any previous version gets rid of the outlines.

EDIT: Switching from SSDO (Directional) to SSAO (Ambient) gets rid of the outlines. The outlines seem to appear when I have the sun behind me, but I'm not 100% certain.
Disabling MSAA also gets rid of the issue. This means that the white outlines only occur when SSDO and MSAA are enabled.

EDIT: I also confirmed once again that even with SSDO and MSSA enabled, the problem does not occur using the ddraw.dll from Mar 22.
Last edited by LinusWP on Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marcelo999
Cadet 4th Class

Post by marcelo999 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:27 pm

I have the same problem as syncopic.
The last version that worked for me was ddraw.dll 3-3-2022

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:13 pm

LinusWP wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:44 pm
Ah, this is an interesting clue. BTW, if you're playing VR, I suggest you select the Deferred shading mode since that's the fastest.

How far back in time do you need to go to get rid of these artifacts?