XWAU 2023 - Work in progress

All the XWAU recent release news from the project can be found here

XWAU 2023 - Work in progress

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:52 pm

Greetings Pilots. Things may seem to be a little quiet around here but rest assured that the XWAU team are busy behind the scenes.

We are slowly working on a 2022 Mega Patch release. We want this to be as close to perfect as possible so we are taking our time. In between real life commitments as always.
The aim is to take all the 5 Updates since 2020 and merge them into one installer again. There has been a lot of tweaks and improvements since the 2020 release.
Here's a quick update on some of the things that are going on:

I've been busy tweaking and refining the systems like Babu Frik's Configurator and the Update files. Adding new options and improving others.
Also adding new unique sound files for the ships. So for instance the X-wing now has it's signature laser sounds, and a dedicated S-foil noise.
There are a few small Hangar options being added for more variety which custom makers can use.
Several opts have been merged together into one using Profiles. For example the Corvette and the Luxury Yacht. Plus new Skins too.
Below is an example I've shown already elsewhere.

The brilliant talents of JeremyaFr and @blue_max have been making more great breakthroughs on the game engine.
We now have ways to reduce file sizes where necessary and even more customising of ships. For example the Shuttle ramp will lower as it lands!
Blue Max has made an amazing new cockpit feature which we will show off to you soon I am sure.
Plus with the help of m0rgg the VR side is getting better every time.
As you know Jeremy and Max have found ways to use the graphics card to take some of the CPU load in game and this has been amazing in testing.

Mechdonald has been assisting me with improvements to the Crew Room. And now there are options where you can choose alternatives of some items.
So you can use the XWAU picture or the original XWA version for example on items like the Pirate Flag. An example below.

Due to a new system the team has improved minor details on many Opts to make them look even better!

Spyder has been working hard for a very long time, and with the help of DTM has delivered an updated Fighter which is being tested now.
Master Qui-Gon has made some amazing improvements to a certain Hunters ship. With bonus new sound files for the full experience!
@DTM has been busy working on more of the Imperial side of things. Which we can't wait to fly.
As well as improvements to existing brilliant releases. These will have great new features for extra realism.
@Vince T has been making more of the giant Starships he loves, as well as brilliant transport ships.
Blue_Max has levelled up from Cockpits to work on a whole ship redesign which looks great.

If you're very nice then hopefully they will share some teasers here for you to see :D

So never fear, we hope 2022 will be another excellent Star Wars enjoyment for XWAU fans. We just want to get things right first :)
Every time we make something then a new breakthrough is made! :shock: So stick with us and May the Force be with you. ;)

Corvette Profiles.jpg
flags.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:38 pm

The tease, THE TEASE!
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:21 pm

Yeah, I don't want to spoil things too much, but boy just all the new technology and tools we have available now will make a lot of things so much better. It's still going to be a while, but trust us, it will be worth it!
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:25 pm

I second that! Compared to what's in store from our ddraw wizards, my stuff is pretty ordinary.

You know, regular stuff like big ships ...
ISD1v21.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:50 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:52 pm
Plus with the help of m0rgg the VR side is getting better every time.
A few more details: @m0rgg is a genius and he figured out how to fix the gimbal lock problem for the cockpit camera _and_ enable true 6dof everywhere: the hangar, the cockpit, the gunner turrets -- even when no cockpit is displayed! That's right: it's now possible to play the Gunner Turrets in VR without getting dizzy (plus we're probably the first human beings ever to look over our shoulders inside the turret -- oh look, there's a nice rear window over there!)

He also figured out how to remove the annoying jittering in the loading screens when SteamVR is on. We've been working hard to add these changes into ddraw-2.0 and we'll publish a preview soon.

DTM

Post by DTM » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:52 am

Speaking about tease:
Thanks to Blue Max, most of 2022 starfighters will use the new Diegetic Joystick function...

What is a Diegetic Joystick??? Here a preview:
https://youtu.be/IZEbNHBLzGQ

Michal
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Michal » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:33 pm

Great!
My current project X-Wing Game Series Twitter
My old project X-Wing Series Site, still online

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:23 pm

To expand on the new Diegetic Joystick feature here is a video from @blue_max.
He has given permission to share this and shows off the idea on a general starfighter.
https://youtu.be/ewHTqFuMwsc

joystick.jpg

So now when you move your joystick left/right etc then the on-screen joystick will match your movements!
We also have options for the throttle lever and potentially more. :D
This feature will be gradually be added to the main flyable Rebel and Imperial fighters.
It won't work in everything, only ships that use a Dynamic Cockpit.

When you think XWA can't get any better, along comes @blue_max and proves us wrong :lachtot: :^^:

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:39 am

Amazing stuff. But I want to point something out for the CR-90: The "Phoenix" variant's extra guns were actually on the RotJ CR-90 model. Actually, the RotJ guns looked a bit bigger. I have several photos of the model in my a Japanese coffee table book. The guns were apparently removed after the filming of RotJ because more people would want to see the standard Tantive IV configuration at like conventions and road shows and stuff. Does someone want to take a look at these photographs?

Erd
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Erd » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:27 am

Feels like a pretty broad and exciting spread of new features and models. Could the shuttle ramp feature be used to open fighter canopies in a kind of emulation the original X-wing landing cutscenes? New sounds are also a feature that really interests me, particularly what the team thinks about the sounds ships make emerging from hyperspace in more modern Star Wars films.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:14 am

Tony, yes I'd like to see that. Do you also have any pics you took from traveling exhibits of the ISD-2 Avenger and the Mon Calamari cruisers other than the winged Liberty cruiser?
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:17 am

ERD, yes and yes to answer your questions. It's done via SFoil hook and takes time for model builders to implement that.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:27 pm

Bman wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:14 am
(...) Do you also have any pics you took from traveling exhibits of the ISD-2 Avenger (...)
Is that a challenge? :P

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:22 pm

Erd wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:27 am
Feels like a pretty broad and exciting spread of new features and models. Could the shuttle ramp feature be used to open fighter canopies in a kind of emulation the original X-wing landing cutscenes? New sounds are also a feature that really interests me, particularly what the team thinks about the sounds ships make emerging from hyperspace in more modern Star Wars films.
Have you got an example or sound clip of that hyperspace noise you mentioned please?

Erd
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Erd » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:58 am

It's a short percussive sound to emphasize the vapid acceleration/deceleration in the more recent bits of media where hyperspace is much more rapid than the original trilogy. I could of sworn it started in episode 2 with the jedi fighter hyperspace rings, but I can't find any clips online and it doesn't matter enough to dig for ancient dvds.

Here's a pair of examples from Rogue One:
https://youtu.be/19Ui_oLzCgo?t=74 Coming out of hyperspace with a variety of sounds.
https://youtu.be/3BXTUOxbgpw There a variety of quieter hyperspace entry sounds, and a deep bass sound when the star destroyer arrives.

And here is one from The Last Jedi where the sound can be heard on a planets surface:
https://youtu.be/XEQ7oy03c0o?t=22
Bman wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:17 am
ERD, yes and yes to answer your questions. It's done via SFoil hook and takes time for model builders to implement that.
Oh, I wasn't trying to rush anyone, just curious what might be on the horizon.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:17 pm

Erd wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:58 am
It's a short percussive sound to emphasize the vapid acceleration/deceleration in the more recent bits of media where hyperspace is much more rapid than the original trilogy. I could of sworn it started in episode 2 with the jedi fighter hyperspace rings, but I can't find any clips online and it doesn't matter enough to dig for ancient dvds.

Here's a pair of examples from Rogue One:
https://youtu.be/19Ui_oLzCgo?t=74 Coming out of hyperspace with a variety of sounds.
https://youtu.be/3BXTUOxbgpw There a variety of quieter hyperspace entry sounds, and a deep bass sound when the star destroyer arrives.

And here is one from The Last Jedi where the sound can be heard on a planets surface:
https://youtu.be/XEQ7oy03c0o?t=22
Hmm I don't know about those sounds but they are interesting to hear the changes anyway.
If you want more sound improvements check out my release on my Website. Details here:
https://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 19&t=13489

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:19 pm

Erd wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:27 am
Feels like a pretty broad and exciting spread of new features and models.
Could the shuttle ramp feature be used to open fighter canopies in a kind of emulation the original X-wing landing cutscenes?
You mean like this? :D

xw.jpg

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:40 pm

Subtle :P

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:06 am

Bman, I took the pictures, but I'm gonna have to think for a sec how to make them available to you. :-P I think I was wrong about the size of the guns, but fortunately there are a few pics they took with a tape measure. So you should be able to confirm/deny the size pretty precisely.

As for the diagetic joystick... can hitboxes move with models...? Can multiple joints be involved...? I am thinking about the StarViper...

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:20 am

Tony Knightcrawler wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:06 am
As for the diagetic joystick... can hitboxes move with models...? Can multiple joints be involved...? I am thinking about the StarViper...
It only applies to the cockpit but @blue_max could explain more properly.
He'll post all the info in due course, whenever he gets a break lol :D

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:30 pm

Tony Knightcrawler wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:06 am
I haven't figured out how to update the hitboxes -- which is a shame because otherwise I would be able to place dancing wookies anywhere I wanted ;)

For now, this probably only makes sense in situations where hitboxes aren't important. Ideas are welcome, of course

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:34 pm

You know, that might be alright. If the movements are subtle, most people won't notice. Something for me to consider.

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:03 am

I have finally gotten around to supplying those pictures, so I'm just bumping this so Bman sees. Still looking forward to this very much!

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:06 am

Speaking of bumping, might as well tease you a bit :D
A7B6FCDB-5754-4228-8002-51121013462A.jpeg

Dante82
Recruit

Post by Dante82 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:32 am

Das is schon etwas fies von dir Vince^^

Sehr schickes Teil :)