[B3M7] Scramble - Failed due to bug

Here we can have in-depth discussions about which missions need to be adjusted because they are broken either by original design or by XWA models.

[B3M7] Scramble - Failed due to bug

GABICV
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by GABICV » Mon May 03, 2021 2:36 pm

Hello all,

I encountered a bug in mission B3M7 "Scramble" during which you go after Kupalo trying to escape in the previously-captured imperial shuttle AA-23.

My wingmate and I did everything right: stopped Kupalo, protected the Storm unit while it recovered the shuttle and returned to the Liberty in one piece. I watched the transport bring the shuttle to the Liberty and the mission was declared a success.

Being a little adventurous, I hypered back to the combat zone to finish off the few TIE bombers that I had left behind. I then decided to engage the ISD. I know, it was not fair for the ISD since it obviously stand no chance against my A-wing :D

But... after blowing up the ISD, the mission was failed because the shuttle AA-23 was destroyed... which makes no sense since it was safely aboard the Liberty in a different zone.
I am not 100 % sure that the shuttle was declared destroyed at the time the ISD blew up since before that I was 100% focused on taking the ISD down while preserving my shields. So not really looking at the objectives display.

But I assume that the game estimated that the shuttle was destroyed in the explosion of the ISD even though it was gone long before that.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon May 03, 2021 2:56 pm

Sounds like a mission for @Blazingfirestorm :D
But to be fair you completed the mission and then went back for seconds. Greedy lol
There could be many missions go wrong if you return later.
Can you recreate this everytime?

Did you see the Shuttle land on the Liberty?
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Blazingfirestorm
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Blazingfirestorm » Mon May 03, 2021 3:16 pm

this requires testing

I think I know what happening

GABICV
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by GABICV » Mon May 03, 2021 3:22 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 2:56 pm
But to be fair you completed the mission and then went back for seconds. Greedy lol
Me greedy? :blush8:
You gotta earn those medals!
Ace Antilles wrote:
Did you see the Shuttle land on the Liberty?
Yes! And all objectives were complete.

Ace Antilles wrote:
I will try to take the time to do it again. And pay more attention to when exactly it goes south, by the way.

Blazingfirestorm
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Blazingfirestorm » Mon May 03, 2021 3:35 pm

looking at the mission in the editor shutte AA-23 home ship is the ISD so maybe when it docks with the liberty the game thinks its dock with the ISD and when you blow it up that game thought it was docked in it

GABICV
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by GABICV » Wed May 05, 2021 12:51 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
I could reproduce it at the first try. I didn't try more 'cause it's a bit long to take an ISD out on your own with an A-wing :/
Blazingfirestorm wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 3:35 pm
looking at the mission in the editor shutte AA-23 home ship is the ISD so maybe when it docks with the liberty the game thinks its dock with the ISD and when you blow it up that game thought it was docked in it
That's very probably it. I definitely confirmed that AA-23 is declared destroyed at the exact time the ISD is destroyed.

Blazingfirestorm
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Blazingfirestorm » Wed May 05, 2021 1:26 pm

I tested it and yes if you blow up the ISD after the mission complete it fails the mission saying that Shuttle AA-23 was destroyed I have considered removing the prevent conditions of 100% of shuttle AA-23 being destroyed seeing as the shuttle is invincible and it can't be destroyed

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed May 05, 2021 2:04 pm

Hmm that's tricky. Should it even be invincible in the first place? The wording would be so you have to keep an eye on it to stop it being destroyed.
That would make the mission very hard I expect. Is there no cancel option that can occur after it leaves the region?
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Blazingfirestorm
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Blazingfirestorm » Wed May 05, 2021 2:21 pm

yes it should be invincible probably due to the fact you need to get it below 50% of its hull and keeping it alive would very difficult

Blazingfirestorm
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Blazingfirestorm » Wed May 05, 2021 2:28 pm

the more I look at the prevent order the more I think it's there to stop the player destroying the ISD

LPhoenix
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by LPhoenix » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:22 pm

I also ran into this behavior, and I think it is not possible to make the SHU land on the ISD as it's doing currently and also being able to destroy the ISD, so I made one small change to this mission, so the player can't fail the mission this way.

1B3M7B.TIE

Changes:
- ISD Imperator now flees when it loses shields
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LPhoenix
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by LPhoenix » Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:17 pm

After sleeping on it, I realized that there is a really easy solution to this issue: you can just remove the hidden goal to prevent the SHU of being destroyed. As it is invincible, it can only be destroyed when it landed on the ISD or brought back to the Liberty. If it landed on the ISD, you already lost the mission, because you can't seize it anyway, so there is no purpose of the SHU not being destroyed goal
This solution makes it possible for the player to destroy the ISD

1B3M7B.TIE

Changes ( compared to the original XWAU mission file ):
- Removed the goal of "100% of Flight group must NOT be destroyed" from SHU AA - 23
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.