Toggling VR mode off/on while in game?

Here you can find help for how to best run and setup your XWA VR experience.

Toggling VR mode off/on while in game?

CuzDawg3
Recruit

Post by CuzDawg3 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:23 am

First off. . .THANK YOU to everyone who made XWAUpgrade and TIE Fighter Total Conversion! You are incredible! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Quick question that I didn't find in a search:

Is there a keyboard combo to toggle VR mode on and off, in particular within the TFTC? Since it launches in VR mode, I don't see a fast way to switch back? *edit I did find the VR selection in BF's Configurator. YAY! But main question still stands. . .*

thanks!

-Cuz
"Thank the makers!" -C-3PO
"of XWAUpgrade!" -me

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:29 am

While it's probably technically possible to toggle the VR mode on and off using a keyboard combo, it would be very challenging to say the least. There are a number of resources and things that need to be initialized to enable VR, and trying to do that arbitrarily at any point during the game requires restructuring a lot of code. This is currently not possible.

May I ask why you'd like this functionality? We may be able to offer an alternative if we understand the problem you're trying to solve.

CuzDawg3
Recruit

Post by CuzDawg3 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:42 am

Not really trying to solve a problem. . .just a feature question. If it were available, I'd watch the cutscreens, watch the briefings, mess with the settings menu, make selections for the simulator, while looking at the big clear monitor, then save VR for during flight. Plus sometimes it's easier for my old eyes to alt+tab to other windows for reading/tweaking rather than look down the loose nose seal on my rift S.

Regardless, for everything that has been accomplished here, I am utterly awestruck.

The plan is to replay everything (XWA and TF) in VR. :)
"Thank the makers!" -C-3PO
"of XWAUpgrade!" -me

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:31 am

Well, if you're trying to improve readability, the 2D content in VR can be resized. That way you end up looking at a screen that feels similar to a movie theater -- but you'll have to move your head around to see all of it. Open VRParams.cfg and look for this setting:

concourse_window_scale = 20.000

Just increase that value to, say 30 or 40 and that'll give you a much bigger view inside your headset. Just remember to make a backup copy of your VRParams.cfg file before modifying it, in case you need to restore it. BTW, you can modify this value, save the file, go back to XWA, and then press Ctrl+Alt+L to reapply it without having to restart the game.