[Help] SteamVR - Cockpit constant pitching up loop

Here you can find help for how to best run and setup your XWA VR experience.

[Help] SteamVR - Cockpit constant pitching up loop

truxartis
Cadet 4th Class

Post by truxartis » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:14 pm

Hi - amazing work, and very excited to get this working!

Installed fresh from CD > patched to v2.02 > XWAU 2020 Mega Patch

Using an Oculus Rift (CV1) headset on Windows 7/64b.

vrparams.cfg set to: VR_Mode = SteamVR
cockpitlook.cfg set to: tracker_type = SteamVR

All hooks updated to latest with "XwaHooksSetup".

Before installing "XWAU 2020 Update Version 4.0", no tracking in the cockpit worked at all (TrackIR worked).
After installing v4.0 update, the view in the cockpit "pitches up", in a constant rolling-back loop, tumbling.

In the hanger, the tracking seems to be locked/fixed to straight ahead. If I try to turn my head, I can see a subtle jitter, like something is preventing the action.
When I launch out of the hanger, the pitching-back loop starts.

I've cycled mouse-look, and also tried disabling the axis in cockpitlook.cfg with: pitch_multiplier = 0 (no effect).
Disabled cockpit inertia: set "cockpit_inertia_enabled = 0" in CockpitLook.cfg.
Only one cockpitlook.dll in the install dir.

I've searched quite a bit, but haven't found any similar issue.
Thanks for any hints.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:34 am

Does this happen without VR too? From the description this sounds like a conflict between two versions of Hook_CockpitLook.dll. If you have multiple versions of that file they will all load -- even if they have a different name.

truxartis
Cadet 4th Class

Post by truxartis » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:53 am

blue_max!
Everything works great without VR, TrackIR is fantastic, too.

Here's a quick OBS recording:
https://youtu.be/SEME6o-ktXQ

I confirmed only one hook .dll in the dir:

Code: Select all

E:\games\X-Wing Alliance>dir Hook_Cock*.dll
 Volume in drive E is App
 Volume Serial Number is E44F-EC09

Directory of E:\games\X-Wing Alliance

02/20/2021  02:44 PM           198,144 Hook_CockpitLook.dll
               1 File(s)        198,144 bytes
               0 Dir(s)  114,474,651,648 bytes free

E:\games\X-Wing Alliance>
Since I'm using windows 7 with an older headset in SteamVR, I've had to use the older SteamVR version: "oculus_win7and8 - v1.15.12 of SteamVR which allowed older Oculus software" is selected under SteamVR > Settings > Betas.

Thanks again for some amazing work, blue_max. If you can think of anything else, drinks on me.

m0rgg
XWAU Member

Post by m0rgg » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:11 am

Not sure if related, but try disabling rudder in the game options.

truxartis
Cadet 4th Class

Post by truxartis » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:31 pm

m0rgg wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:11 am
Not sure if related, but try disabling rudder in the game options.
Yep - good point with the rudders. I disabled the in-game setting, as well as disconnected all other joysticks/devices--but sadly no change.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:51 pm

SteamVR is known to have issues under Windows 7. Is there any chance you could try again on Windows 10? Can you post your full VRParams.cfg and CockpitLook.cfg files so that we can take a look?

Also, have you tried a fresh install of XWA? You should be able to configure the VR mode using the Babu Frik configurator.

truxartis
Cadet 4th Class

Post by truxartis » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:10 pm

I made sure to start fresh with XWA, in preparing for the TFTC (not installed, yet).
I don't have a Win10 box to test with.

VRParams.cfg
https://pastebin.com/RBwMUuJm

CockpitLook.cfg
https://pastebin.com/XVR7J7pi

I didn't see any relevant option in the Babu Frik's Configurator, for VR.

Thanks in advance for checking the configs...

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:20 pm

In VRParams.cfg, you should have "roll_multiplier = -1" and in CockpitLook.cfg you should have the following settings:

positional_x_multiplier = 1.0
positional_y_multiplier = 1.0
positional_z_multiplier = 1.0

min_positional_track_x = -25
max_positional_track_x =  25

min_positional_track_y = -25
max_positional_track_y =  25

min_positional_track_z = -25
max_positional_track_z =  25
I'm not saying this will fix your problem, but you have those settings disabled, and I'm not sure what happens in that case.

truxartis
Cadet 4th Class

Post by truxartis » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:50 pm

Updated with Babu Frik Configurator, which made these changes:

VRParams.cfg:

; Cockpit roll multiplier. Set it to 0 to de-activate this axis.
; The settings for pitch, yaw and positional tracking are in CockpitLook.cfg
roll_multiplier = -1.000
CockpitLook.cfg:

positional_x_multiplier = 1.66
positional_y_multiplier = 1.66
positional_z_multiplier = 1.66

min_positional_track_x = -25
max_positional_track_x =  25

min_positional_track_y = -25
max_positional_track_y =  25

min_positional_track_z = -25
max_positional_track_z =  25

One thing that is puzzling is where to modify the pitch_multiplier. The VRParams.cfg above says to look in CockpitLook.cfg, but that file says to look in VRParams.cfg (for VR):
; Setting these values above 1 will amplify the motion. Setting them to negative
; values will invert the axes. If you set them to 0, the axis will be disabled.
; For VR, the multipliers for roll and positional tracking (x,y,z) are in
; vrparams.cfg
yaw_multiplier = 1
pitch_multiplier = 1
I've set pitch_multiplier to -1 as well as zero, but issue remains.

Just in case, here's the updated configs:

VRParams.cfg
https://pastebin.com/fGmLn0Xw

CockpitLook.cfg
https://pastebin.com/gBmCrTnD

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:52 pm

I just noticed that you mentioned Win7 on your first post. There are known issues when trying to run on that OS. Any chance you could try again on Win10?

From the videos you posted, it looks as if there's another process trying to update the mouse look function in this game. It could be the joystick (is the throttle in your joystick mapped to the wrong axis?) or it could be something else.

Let's try this now: still with VR enabled, go to DDraw.cfg and set the following lines:

JoystickEmul = 1
SwapJoystickXZAxes = 0
That'll make the game ignore the joystick and you'll be playing with mouse and keyboard instead. If the problem is gone, then we'd have to look at the joystick configuration.

truxartis
Cadet 4th Class

Post by truxartis » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:08 pm

Progress!
Turning on Joystick emulation stopped the pitching up view.
Should I expect to have head-tracking work? Turning my head with the headset on just keeps everything in forward view.
Thanks for suggestions so far!

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:42 pm

truxartis wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:08 pm
Progress!
Turning on Joystick emulation stopped the pitching up view.
Should I expect to have head-tracking work? Turning my head with the headset on just keeps everything in forward view.
Thanks for suggestions so far!
Yes, head tracking should work fine. I believe your problem is caused by a mis-configured joystick. Specifically, one of the joystick axes (the throttle?) is probably being mapped to the "pitch up" action. You'll have to test each axis to see which one is affecting the view and then configure it through the external configuration tool. @Ace Antilles can you help us with the joystick configuration over here?

EDIT: To re-enable your joystick, just set "JoystickEmul = 0" in DDraw.cfg again.

truxartis
Cadet 4th Class

Post by truxartis » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:41 pm

After turning off joystick emulation (JoystickEmul = 0) in DDraw.cfg, and focused on the Joystick configuration, I ticked the "Use the POV as regular buttons" checkbox, and it has stopped the pitching-up view!

Still no head tracking in space (Simulator quick skirmish) , though...If I start a mission in the hanger, head-tracking works as expected...until you launch.
I would chock it up to Win7 with an old headset, except the Hanger works...weird.
Thanks at least for hanging in there with me and getting this far @blue_max !
Cheers.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:10 pm

OK, there's still a few things we can try. I have a stand-alone SteamVR tester that you can try to see if that part works. Let me find it, and I'll get back to you.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:52 am

@truxartis: Hey, here's the stand-alone SteamVR tracking tester:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wyxmbaoetrbcb ... t.exe?dl=0

Just put it in your XWA directory and run it. You should see 6 columns of numbers that correspond to your HMD's position. You won't see anything on the HMD, this is just to test that tracking works.

truxartis
Cadet 4th Class

Post by truxartis » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:13 pm

Test (tracking) works:

yaw: 10.567, pitch: -21.202, roll: 1.474, [0.471, 1.189, -0.201]

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:22 pm

Well, at least we know that tracking works in Win7, so it should also work with the game. Are you running the game as Administrator? There must be something else blocking the tracking when the game runs. Try the following:

* Sometimes antivirus software can block the game. Add xwingalliance.exe as an exception on your antivirus (or otherwise, mark it as safe software).
* Run SteamVR directly. Do not run it through Steam, and don't let XWA auto-start it. Just run it first and let it sit there. It should detect your headset.
* Run xwingalliance.exe directly, as administrator. Don't use the launcher. Don't use Steam/GoG. Just double-click on xwingalliance.exe

truxartis
Cadet 4th Class

Post by truxartis » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:30 pm

Yes, I'm logged in as Admin. I'll add it to the MicroSoft Security Essentials safe list....but remember, head tracking does work in the hanger. From lurking on the forum, it seems like the Hanger "state" is a unique place...once I launch out to a mission, the headset is fixed forward again. I can test to see if it re-centers or not, may be a clue.

truxartis
Cadet 4th Class

Post by truxartis » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:59 pm

So, the tracking works, it's the view that is not following--I didn't notice the HUD earlier. The old 2D HUD (suspended in air) changes perspective as it tracks. Here's a quick vid:
https://youtu.be/xCMeCVw-a78

edit: tried updating to the latest "EffectsByBlueMax_beta_v2021-07-17" - but it blew up VR (2D monitor shows the game, but the headset has a popup SteamVR box with the game title "XWINGALLIANCE" and a "waiting" message underneath.

Copying the files from "EffectsByBlueMax_beta_v2021-05-18" back to the install restores the headset output.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:17 pm

I can see tracking is working in the hangar, and it's partially working while flying. This can happen if you have multiple copies of the Cockpit look hook in the same path, or if something else (The joystick? The mouse?) is also trying to control the tracking.

Are you sure you have a clean install of the game? The issues in the video happen when you have multiple copies of Hook_CockpitLook.dll in the same directory. The hook system, I believe, will try to load any Hook*.DLL files it sees in the XWA directory. So, if you have Hook_CockpitLook.dll and Hook_CockpitLook-old.dll on the same path, both will get loaded and cause conflicts with each other.

The HUD is working as expected. For the YT-series we don't have Dynamic Cockpits yet, so the HUD will "stay in place" when you look around. That's exactly what I see in the hangar.

On the other hand, this could also be caused by some unexpected behavior on Win7 that we haven't seen. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a Win7 machine to test it myself.

Tyrthemis
Recruit

Post by Tyrthemis » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:33 am

I am having much the same problem as trux, no constant pitching up but the UI moves with my headset and the cockpit look always stays straight ahead. I also get that steamVR waiting message in my headset after launch on the first mission, but the windowed version is playing normally. Wondering if any solution has been found after all this time.

Jedi Maxter
Recruit

Post by Jedi Maxter » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:54 pm

I might have figured this problem out.
I've had the same issue with 3 fresh installs of the mod, if im right the problem is with the automatic key binding.
When checking the Xwa joystick config, button sections, the game auto assigns [186, Pad-8 Virtual cockpit look up]
to my TWCS Throttle POV hat. once I removed the binding it fixed the issue.
I wasn't sure how I fixed it the first time, but this fixed the issue on the second and third fresh install of the mod for me.

My apologies if this is similar but not the exact same issue, I tried to look through the help comments to see if this was already brought up but I didn't find anything. hope this helps

may the force be with you.