HUD overlay is too big ?

Here you can find help for how to best run and setup your XWA VR experience.

HUD overlay is too big ?

a1adin
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by a1adin » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:12 pm

Thank you very much for making XWA looks better and the VR mod.

I am using quest2 with link cable.
My system is i7-870 with gtx1060 6gb.
I have installed GOG version with xwau 2020 mega patch + update 4.0 + Effects by Blue Max's Version 2021-08-17

I can start vr successfully (steamvr).
However, I find the HUD overlay is too big, and the text is too small.
It is impossible to read.

How do I correct this problem?
Please advise.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:32 am

There is no simple solution for the HUD, it just doesn't work very well in VR -- that's why I invented the Dynamic Cockpit. Sadly, this ship doesn't support this feature yet.

However, there are a couple of things you can try. Open VRParams.cfg and do the following:

1. If you press Ctrl+Z you'll scale down the HUD. The scale is specified in the "3d_window_zoom_out_size". The default value is 0.4, but you can try other values. I'd suggest you try values between 0.9 and 0.5 to see what works well for your screen resolution. If this works for you and you don't want to press Ctrl+Z every time, you can set it to scale down automatically by setting "zoomed_out_on_startup = 1"

2. The depth of the HUD is controlled with "GUI_depth". It's set to 0.4 (meters) by default, you can probably try pushing it back further. Values between 0.3 - 1.0 will probably work.

To apply changes you'll probably have to restart the game. So I suggest you create an empty skirmish mission to try these settings.

Either way, you'll still need to move your head around to read the full HUD. Other ships support DC (Dynamic Cockpit) and the various HUD elements are now part of the cockpit; but this cockpit still needs to be updated.

a1adin
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by a1adin » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:45 pm

Hi blue_max,

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried editing VRParams.cfg as you suggest:
3d_window_zoom_out_size = 1
GUI_depth = 0.595
this makes the hud overlay more centered, however, too bad, the text became smaller too.

Also, I have tried skirmish mission with x-wing.
now, this x-wing cockpit is different, the hud overlay is nice and very readable.
I hope you can make the rest of the cockpit like this.

Wait, I have an idea, for now, is it possible to use this x-wing hud overlay setting for xwa ships which do not have dynamic cockpit?

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:45 pm

a1adin wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:45 pm
I have tried editing VRParams.cfg as you suggest:
3d_window_zoom_out_size = 1
GUI_depth = 0.595
this makes the hud overlay more centered, however, too bad, the text became smaller too.
Yes, this is part of the problem. You either get a big, readable HUD that forces you to turn your head around, or you get a smaller and harder to read HUD. It just doesn't work well in VR.
Wait, I have an idea, for now, is it possible to use this x-wing hud overlay setting for xwa ships which do not have dynamic cockpit?
The X-Wing has been converted to use the new Dynamic Cockpit, that's why it works well in VR. This is a time-consuming process that is specific to each cockpit, so we can't just swap the X-Wing layout on top of other cockpits. But don't worry, we'll convert the YT series too at some point.

a1adin
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by a1adin » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:12 am

thanks blue_max.

I really appreciate very much what you have done with xwa.
I never dream that I can play this game again with updated much better graphics.
and now in VR.

keep up the good work. :D