[Help] HUD displaying twice in Y-wing

Here you can find help for how to best run and setup your XWA VR experience.

[Help] HUD displaying twice in Y-wing

Maktaz
Recruit

Post by Maktaz » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:59 am

First of all, let me say that I am very impressed with the quality of the game so far, it is nothing short of miraculous what the team has managed to pull off, thank you for all the work that went into this!

I've been using the latest megapatch (base game Steam version on Win 10) in VR using the Valve Index and managed to fix most of the small issues that arose. However I'm now stuck on the latest bug: when I'm in the Y-wing (and possibly other ships as well) the HUD shows two copies of some of the HUD elements. There is a floating 'hologram' of both the left (default radio messages) and right (default mission objectives) screens in addition to the screens in the cockpit. I've tried turning off the affected screens with the home/page down/delete/etc. keys, but that disables both the hologram and the display in the cockpit. I've also tried hitting D, but that will un-hide the purple elements, so those are already correctly hidden.

Is there something that I'm missing, or is this a work in progress thing?

Calmputer
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Calmputer » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:28 am

Pressing 'D' on the keyboard will hide the original HUD elements, but leave the ones in the dynamic cockpit.

edit: sorry, missed the part where you wrote you'd tried that.
Last edited by Calmputer on Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maktaz
Recruit

Post by Maktaz » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:07 pm

Calmputer wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:28 am
Pressing 'D' on the keyboard will hide the original HUD elements, but leave the ones in the dynamic cockpit.
I already tried that, but it looks like it's not considered part of the original UI. I also spent some time in an X-wing now, it looks like the holograms from the X-wing (which match the X-wing cockpit) are showing up in the Y-wing as well, but the Y-wing has two integrated monitors on the side showing the exact same info already.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:48 pm

Maktaz wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:07 pm
Calmputer wrote:
I already tried that, but it looks like it's not considered part of the original UI. I also spent some time in an X-wing now, it looks like the holograms from the X-wing (which match the X-wing cockpit) are showing up in the Y-wing as well, but the Y-wing has two integrated monitors on the side showing the exact same info already.
Use the Babu Frik Configurator to change the Dynamic Cockpit options under the effects selection.
You can turn the HUD on or off by default for every time the game is started
But it's correct D will turn on and off the hologram extra HUD elements.
If not your game maybe bugged.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

m0rgg
XWAU Member

Post by m0rgg » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:28 pm

Maktaz wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:07 pm
Calmputer wrote:
Can you post a screenshot? That will help identify the issue.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:33 pm

Maktaz wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:59 am
However I'm now stuck on the latest bug: when I'm in the Y-wing (and possibly other ships as well) the HUD shows two copies of some of the HUD elements. There is a floating 'hologram' of both the left (default radio messages) and right (default mission objectives) screens in addition to the screens in the cockpit.
This is probably not a bug, the designer of this cockpit chose to display the information on the holograms for people without a VR headset, and then there's the panels on the sides (which probably only makes sense if you have VR on, so that you can easily look around).

Press Ctrl+H to toggle the holograms. If you really don't like them, then you can open DynamicCockpit\YwingCockpit.dc and comment out the relevant sections, like this:

Code: Select all

; Left Text Box - Hologram
;[YwingCockpit.opt,TEX00055]
;cover_texture_size = 256,256
;hologram = 1
;noisy_hologram = 0
;uv_coords    = LEFT_TEXT_BOX_SRC, 30,256, 216,80; 0x0
;erase_region = LEFT_TEXT_BOX_REGION

; Right Text Box - Hologram
;[YwingCockpit.opt,TEX00053]
;cover_texture_size = 256,256
;hologram = 1
;noisy_hologram = 0
;uv_coords    = RIGHT_TEXT_BOX_SRC, 30,256, 216,80; 0x0
;erase_region = RIGHT_TEXT_BOX_REGION

Just make a backup copy of the .dc file before modifying it in case you want to revert your changes.