[Solved] "Please use the official Effects installer"

Here you can find help for how to best run and setup your XWA VR experience.

[Solved] "Please use the official Effects installer"

junkmail
Recruit

Post by junkmail » Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:45 pm

Hello,

I have an old vive and steam VR, I bought XWA on steam on sale after seeing an XWA vid on youtube.

I have had a really bad time installing VR. Innitially I installed the "XWAU 2020 MEGA PATCH", then the "XWAU 2020 Update Version 5.0". Then to install VR, I downloaded the "Effects by Blue Max's Version 2021-12-18". This is where things went sideways. It's supposed to be an executable "Please use the official Effects installer", and not a zip, so I tried just unzipping to the root folder. Starting steam, I couldn't get it to VR.

I then read that VR was enabled with the babu Frik's Config, no luck no mention of VR in the configurator. I then went back to the video and installed, "xwa_vr_ddraw_d3d11_v1.1.1.zip". Still no luck. Then "XwaHooksSetup.zip" then, looking at each individual hook, which is where I got VR success.

However, currently there is no tracking when I am in the spaceport, tracking is active when flying but there is MASSIVE jutter from the cockpit. I've gotten motion sick so I'm typing this up while I try to rest up to try again.

Going to try to hunt around for the original effects by blue max installer.

Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Update 1:
couldn't find an installer.
Checked for multiple copies of the "Hook_CockpitLook.dll" also changed the joystick look mapping to 0.
Starting steam then running the game results in no connection between XWA and the vive, game crashes once you are out of the menu and in the hangar. Running the game before SteamVR runs the VR compositor in the background and the game launches in the Vive, same playability problems.
Last edited by Ace Antilles on Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Solved

m0rgg
XWAU Member

Post by m0rgg » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:42 am

Hello,
I recommend you to install again from scratch.
You just need:
1. XWA
2. XWAUpgrade mega patch 2020
3. XWAU 2020 Update 5
4. Enable SteamVR in Babu Frik (part of the Effects by Blue_max)

The latest beta from the Downloads page (.zip file) can be installed just by extracting the files in XWA root folder. The readme refers to an older installer that does not exist anymore.
But it's a beta. Check first that the version included in XWAU Update 5 works properly.

Cheers!

junkmail
Recruit

Post by junkmail » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:15 pm

It's working!! Thank-you! Followed your instructions with a fresh installed. I think I messed up by not selecting effects which expands the option for VR in Babu Frik, then panicked and overcompensating diving down the rabbit hole.

I haven't updated the beta, will try that later today.

Thanks again!

m0rgg
XWAU Member

Post by m0rgg » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:03 pm

Great news! Enjoy 😉