Steam VR "Next Up"

Here you can find help for how to best run and setup your XWA VR experience.

Steam VR "Next Up"

Chri360936
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Chri360936 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:19 am

Hello all,

I just got a new Oculus Quest 2, but have been playing XWAU for a while now using Track IR. I updated the game so Steam VR is selected in the Special Effects through the configurator. So I hooked up my new headset to my PC, started the Oculus App, started Steam VR and all is well until I start XWA. Then SteamVR gets hung up. All I see in my headset is "Xwing Alliance Next Up".

A few points:

I have an NVIDIA 1050Ti graphics card. It says in the GEFORCE app it isn't capable of VR, but everything in VR through the PC seems to be working until I start the game.
The game is using the NVIDIA card, not the Intel Graphics UHD card.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Playing this game in VR is one of the reasons I wanted to get a VR headset.

Thanks.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:19 am

Chri360936 wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:19 am
I have an NVIDIA 1050Ti graphics card. It says in the GEFORCE app it isn't capable of VR, but everything in VR through the PC seems to be working until I start the game.
Your videocard should be capable of VR. If you can see the SteamVR home and other VR apps, then it should also work for XWA. FYI I developed the VR mod using a 1060 on a laptop ;)

You've got an Oculus Quest 2, though, so that adds a layer of complexity. But let's start with the basics. When you run the game in VR mode, you should see something on your monitor too. Can you see the game running? Is the game selected? If not, try Alt+Tab'ing into it. The Concourse should be displayed on your monitor and it should be animated. You should be able to move the headset and the monitor should respond to the tracking as well. Don't put your headset on, just turn it around to see if the tracking is working.

If your monitor displays the game properly while VR is active, then the problem might be in the link between the PC and the Quest 2.

Chri360936
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Chri360936 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:28 am

blue_max wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:19 am
Chri360936 wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:19 am
Your videocard should be capable of VR. If you can see the SteamVR home and other VR apps, then it should also work for XWA. FYI I developed the VR mod using a 1060 on a laptop ;)

You've got an Oculus Quest 2, though, so that adds a layer of complexity. But let's start with the basics. When you run the game in VR mode, you should see something on your monitor too. Can you see the game running? Is the game selected? If not, try Alt+Tab'ing into it. The Concourse should be displayed on your monitor and it should be animated. You should be able to move the headset and the monitor should respond to the tracking as well. Don't put your headset on, just turn it around to see if the tracking is working.

If your monitor displays the game properly while VR is active, then the problem might be in the link between the PC and the Quest 2.
Yes, the game displays on the monitor but not in the headset.

There is no tracking. The game runs on the PC as if there is no head tracking at all.

Another item I should have mentioned. I'm old. I am running the game from a copy of my original CDs, not a steam version. I broke down and spent the $3.77 US and bought a steam copy and am in the process of running the updates now. Not sure if that would make a difference but I figured it was time to give up and get a newer version.

Chri360936
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Chri360936 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:52 am

So it appears getting the new Steam version fixed my problem. I am up and running in VR. I have to go through and make all the settings adjustments you recommended in the other threads but it works. Thank you for your help.

Also, it is incredible. I can't believe I'm playing a game from almost thirty years ago in VR. You and the rest of the team did and are doing incredible work. Thank you so much. Everyone involved should be proud of the work you've done.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:38 pm

Thanks for your comments! Yes this has been a team effort all along. I'm glad to see that you fixed the problem! BTW you could also run the GoG version (that's the one I personally prefer). Also: there's even more improvements for the game in general coming soon, so stay tuned!