VR - Remove "Cursor"

Here you can find help for how to best run and setup your XWA VR experience.

VR - Remove "Cursor"

Goffik
Recruit

Post by Goffik » Sun May 01, 2022 8:30 am

Hey guys. Coming back to XWA after many years, I was astounded to find that you geniuses had managed to get it running in VR! Even more surprising was how good it looks, and how well it seems to run. (So far.) Instantly a better Star Wars sim than bloody Squadrons! Hats off to you. :gott:

Two questions.

First, when in the cockpit there is a white circle (selection cursor) in the centre of my view, which highlights green over certain cockpit controls. I find it very immersion breaking and have no need of it, so is there a way to disable it completely?

Second, the text which pops into view whenever you change throttle settings, new enemies arrive, etc. Can that also be disabled?

Apologies if it's something simple I've missed... I though I saw a cursor option somewhere when setting things up but can't find it now. Anyway, thanks in advance.

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Sun May 01, 2022 11:10 am

I am not 100% certain, but I think that is the Active Cockpit options in the Babu Frik's Configurator. To get this launch the Babu Frik's Configurator (it's in the games launcher menu) and Select:
Special Effects Configurator
Customize the Special Effects
-->
Special Effects by Blue Max
Customize the Special Effects
-->
Active Cockpit Options
Disable the Active Cockpit (Default)
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Goffik
Recruit

Post by Goffik » Mon May 02, 2022 7:22 am

Ah, I see! I have those enabled, thinking it was what made all the cockpit instruments "work" so that the HUD could be disabled. (It really has been a long time since I last played!) I'll try disabling them and see what happens.

Any clue on the floating text issue? The enemy notifications and such aren't too much of an issue, but the throttle position notifications (none, 1/3, 2/3, etc) are driving me mad! I know where the damn throttle is because I'm using a HOTAS! :kopfwand:

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon May 02, 2022 4:46 pm

Goffik wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 7:22 am
Any clue on the floating text issue? The enemy notifications and such aren't too much of an issue, but the throttle position notifications (none, 1/3, 2/3, etc) are driving me mad! I know where the damn throttle is because I'm using a HOTAS! :kopfwand:
So, you want regular notifications, but you don't want throttle notifications?

I think it might be possible to remove all notifications, but not the ones specific to throttling.

Also, you're running an old VR mod. You'll get better performance if you go to the Downloads section and get the ddraw 2.0 beta (just be aware that you'll need additional config steps to get it running properly).