ddraw 2.0, reticle & head roll moving backwards

Here you can find help for how to best run and setup your XWA VR experience.

ddraw 2.0, reticle & head roll moving backwards

Plasmaboy
Recruit

Post by Plasmaboy » Tue May 03, 2022 7:45 am

Installed this to fix the framerate, and it appears very helpful! Did all the readme steps

However, the reticle just went free-floating, and does the opposite of what head tracking does. Tilt your head down 5 degrees, the reticle moves up by 10 degrees. It moves the wrong direction in realspace. The lasers don't fire at the reticle, they go where the cockpit points
floating_aiming_HUD = 0/1 had no effect

The cockpit's ROLL axis on head tracking isn't tracking- that is, the cockpit is always at the bottom of the headset screen on the roll axis. That is, tilt your head 5 deg clockwise. You'd expect the cockpit to roll 5 deg ccw to stay level with your IRL seat. Nope, rotates with the headset. Still tracks correctly in other cartesian and rotation axes, but not tracking roll.

I see oddly that roll isn't in cockpitlook.ini but vrparams.cfg, and listed as "roll_multiplier = -1.000", whereas others are positive.
I did try +1 and -10 but I didn't see any effect

SO much better rendering though

Oculus Quest 2 RTX 2070

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue May 03, 2022 4:02 pm

The problems you're describing sound like tracking is not working at all. Did you enable VR through Babu Frik? Try using Babu Frik to disable VR and then enable it again. You an also check that your CockpitLook.cfg has "tracking_type = SteamVR"

m0rgg
XWAU Member

Post by m0rgg » Tue May 03, 2022 4:42 pm

Did you copy the hook_cockpitlook.dll from the ddraw 2.0 beta zip into the XWA folder? You should use the same version as the ddraw.dll

Also, try with a clean version of the config files (VRparamd.cfg, CockpitLook.cfg, ddraw.dll).
Make sure pose_corrected_headtracking is 0 or absent from CockpitLook.cfg

Plasmaboy
Recruit

Post by Plasmaboy » Tue May 03, 2022 6:05 pm

Tracking is definitely enabled. I did play for a bit, and really excited to see the framerating succeeding, just really hard to play without a real crosshair and this decoy one flying all over the place.

Cockpit is tracking in x,y,z, pitch and yaw, just not roll, it's stuck to my chin. The reticle is attempting tracking but the sign in tilt and yaw appeared flipped- it's not just doing nothing, it's definitely tracking the wrong way.

Did you enable VR through Babu Frik?
Yeah steamVR. Works on the other axes and objects just these specific busted axes on reticle and cockpit

CockpitLook.cfg has "tracking_type = SteamVR"
yep
pose_corrected_headtracking is 0 or absent from CockpitLook.cfg
yep

hook_cockpitlook.dll from the ddraw 2.0 beta zip into the XWA folder
Copied everything over
Everything should be "clean" installed, no reason to suspect. I installed XWTC (this is all so awesome I just don't have the space to gush over it here) and played like that, then copied this into the install dir and modified that handful of lines.
I did download and run xwahooks.exe though, from a different directory, not sure what I was doing. It opened a command box and flashed a bunch of lines and disappeared. That wouldn't matter, would it?

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Wed May 04, 2022 12:06 am

Plasmaboy wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 6:05 pm
Cockpit is tracking in x,y,z, pitch and yaw, just not roll, it's stuck to my chin.
This is what happens with the old hook_cockpitlook.dll: it didn't actually track the roll, so that's why we suspect something's wrong with your installation. The new version of hook_cockpitlook.dll does track roll.
hook_cockpitlook.dll from the ddraw 2.0 beta zip into the XWA folder
Copied everything over
Did you overwrite both ddraw.dll and hook_cockpitlook.dll? Any files that end in .dll in your XWA directory will be loaded as hooks, so if you have two versions of the same hook (say, for instance, hook_cockpitlook.dll and hook_cockpitlook2.dll), they will conflict with each other. Can you make sure you don't have duplicate DLLs please?