TFTC Project: An update and a preview trailer

A forum for the TIE Fighter Total Conversion Project (TFTC). Here you can find out news, updates, FAQs or just ask questions about the project.

Moderators: AngeI, Bman

Re: TFTC Project: An update and a preview trailer

Michal
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Michal » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:42 am

Wow, the trailer is looking great.
We really need updated Assault Gunboat for this.

I think that the episodic releases would be ideal for this project - by battles...
My current project X-Wing Game Series Twitter
My old project X-Wing Series Site, still online

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:09 am

Hmm... Does the engine support scenarios where you return to your mothership, your mothership hypers to a new region, and you relaunch there? Are there any TIE Fighter mission sequences that would make sense to combine in such a way?
Michal wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:42 am
I think that the episodic releases would be ideal for this project - by battles...
Or by original expansion pack

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:11 am

keiranhalcyon7 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:09 am
Hmm... Does the engine support scenarios where you return to your mothership, your mothership hypers to a new region, and you relaunch there? Are there any TIE Fighter mission sequences that would make sense to combine in such a way?
I think it does. Fly Endor Mission 1. Launch. Then quickly fly back inside the hangar.
Wait and the Calamari will hyper to Endor and you can then launch again.
It's because the Calamari ship is on a timer to follow orders to jump to Endor.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:00 am

Ace Antilles wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:11 am
keiranhalcyon7 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:09 am
I think it does. Fly Endor Mission 1. Launch. Then quickly fly back inside the hangar.
Wait and the Calamari will hyper to Endor and you can then launch again.
It's because the Calamari ship is on a timer to follow orders to jump to Endor.
Really? I will have to test this, could be very useful...

Edit: Confirmed, this does indeed work! :)

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:30 pm

only thing is that you don' t have an hyperspace effect while you are in the hangar, but someone could probably find a way to fix that with a hook ;)
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:39 pm

Yeah but the idea is it will work for ships like TIEs without giving them a Hyperdrive.
Good workaround. Don't care you don't see hyperspace really lol
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:48 am

It should.

After all, when the mothership is in transit between regions, you only have 1 small notification above the MFD saying that the ship is in transit. could be possible to play the animation for hyperspace when the mothership change to that state
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

XDragon
Cadet 1st Class

Post by XDragon » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:02 am

That would be insanely immersive if that can be worked out.

But on the other hand, it won't be terrible if you can't get the effects working. In the original TIE Fighter, the ships were stored internally anyway, so they wouldn't see the outside of the ship regardless.
Founder of Z3R0 (Zero Command)
https://xdragon2688.wixsite.com/z3ro/

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:09 am

XDragon wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:02 am
That would be insanely immersive if that can be worked out.

But on the other hand, it won't be terrible if you can't get the effects working. In the original TIE Fighter, the ships were stored internally anyway, so they wouldn't see the outside of the ship regardless.
But that was a lack of models and imagination of the time, of which we've had about 20 years of additional canon to assist in storytelling.
Image Image Image Image Image

theonegalen
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by theonegalen » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:08 am

Wow, everything is looking amazing! I'm quite excited for this. With the Star Wars: Squadrons hype train rolling, I just purchased and reinstalled TIE Fighter from GOG. I can't wait for the improved versions of the missions.

I left some comments on your youtube previews. If you need some voice acting done, hit me up. I have a semi-pro setup at home and record songs here. Right now I don't have a computer up to recording, but I'll have one set up before too long (I hope).

Will T
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:01 am

ual002 wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:09 am

But that was a lack of models and imagination of the time, of which we've had about 20 years of additional canon to assist in storytelling.
Calling it a 'lack of imagination' seems a bit harsh. Even a lack of models seems unfair too.

It's almost entirely a technical issue. It's not like the Assault Carrier was the first time anyone thought to carry a TIE Fighter externally rather than in a hangar. The XWA Tech Library entry for the Carrack Cruiser explicitly mentions it can carry TIEs on an external rack. This was a feature of the Carrack since its design more than 30 years ago in the WEG sourcebook.

The Carrack was in TIE Fighter. If they could have, and if they wanted to set things up so that the player could land on a Carrack and go through Hyperspace while sat on an external rack, they would have.
Formerly known as The 95 Headhunter

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:33 pm

We have the time to explore the craziest of concepts given we also have the drive. The thing holding back lucasarts or EA is time and money. Neither company had that freedom. Lucasarts less so in the end of its life because it was marred is legal issues.
Image Image Image Image Image

MaarekStele
Cadet 4th Class

Post by MaarekStele » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:34 am

Hi Angel you're the reason I came back here after a long hiatus when I saw your youtube video, great work man can't wait to get back in the cockipt and try it!

eddyfurax
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by eddyfurax » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:16 am

:applaus: :2thumbs: The Imperial Pilots are come back and very impatient too fight against rebels scum

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:19 pm

Thanks guys :D

Avarice1987
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Avarice1987 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:28 pm

i'm really looking forward to your update, will it expand the battles? in the old Total Conversion there were some bugs in the progress of the campaign.

I am already very curious

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:09 pm

Avarice1987 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:28 pm
i'm really looking forward to your update, will it expand the battles? in the old Total Conversion there were some bugs in the progress of the campaign.

I am already very curious
You'll get the option to install the original missions or reimagined ones. Original ones will only be tweaked as necessary to make sure you can complete your objectives. The reimagined ones will be much bigger in scope either as simple expansions to the originals or entirely rebuilt from the ground up merging some missions together.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:50 am

Originals/classic ver. also has some new extra/bonus missions in each battle. :-)
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

aceazzameen87
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by aceazzameen87 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:22 pm

Gonna hop on the bandwagon and express my similar excitement for this project! This is such an awesome undertaking. I can't wait to crush some rebels!

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:47 pm

Just posted a new gameplay video of a WIP B5M4. Again this is an example of a mission built up from scratch that takes elements of the original B5M5 and turns it into something grander.

So why is this called B5M4 you ask when its based originally on B5M5? Well once again two missions in Battle 5 have been essentially merged into a new mission - in this case B5M2 is that mission. Still this B5M4 is RADICALLY different from the original TF B5M5 where you capture Harkov. Aside from being a large scale fight now, it uses ships you've seen in Battle 2 (see B2M5 WIP video on my channel) when serving with Harkov thus maintaining consistency with the overall story and narrative of his defecting fleet. Overall Battle 5 is going to play very different from its original counterpart, yet still retain that same basic story narrative. Harkov defects, track him down, destroy his T/A's and convoys before capturing Harkov himself. Enjoy :D

https://youtu.be/Q1XT8nmgBQU
Last edited by AngeI on Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Metathrom
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Metathrom » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:26 pm

Very nice! I love the new voiceover and the feel of a big engagement. What sound editing app did you use?

Safe-Keeper
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Safe-Keeper » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:00 pm

This looks really promising. There's always a risk to reimagining, or building upon classics made by others, especially if you try to go down the "this is probably what the devsa wanted to do" route, but it can turn into some great new gaming experiences, too, at least when done by dedicated fans. I remember starting a project to upgrade all the old Ground Control missions once, adding a couple new features and things like random spawn points and attack vectors for enemies to add to replayability value. Sadly the project died when my HD died, but it was fun while it lasted.

Thinking about it, rebuilding/expanding on missions is probably a better approach to a TF-> XWA TC than just straight up porting everything over, what with balance changes and such.

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:23 am

Metathrom wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:26 pm
Very nice! I love the new voiceover and the feel of a big engagement. What sound editing app did you use?
Thank you! I use Audacity for sound editing. Hopefully my Vader voice wasn't too bad! :D
Safe-Keeper wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:00 pm
This looks really promising. There's always a risk to reimagining, or building upon classics made by others, especially if you try to go down the "this is probably what the devsa wanted to do" route, but it can turn into some great new gaming experiences, too, at least when done by dedicated fans. I remember starting a project to upgrade all the old Ground Control missions once, adding a couple new features and things like random spawn points and attack vectors for enemies to add to replayability value. Sadly the project died when my HD died, but it was fun while it lasted.

Thinking about it, rebuilding/expanding on missions is probably a better approach to a TF-> XWA TC than just straight up porting everything over, what with balance changes and such.
That's pretty much how I felt about putting TF into XWA. You're part of this huge military organisation but the technical limitations of the early-mid 90s meant the actual missions were very small or spread over several missions to simulate a larger engagement. Now we've got the chance to have TF benefit from what XWA can do and I'm going for it! Don't worry though, the project is regularly uploaded in builds to an online space and other team members have a copy, so even if my HD dies, only a small amount of work would be lost at worst :D

MaarekStele
Cadet 4th Class

Post by MaarekStele » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:20 pm

Hello dear sir how's work progressing and did you contact Guy Siner's agent to ask if he's willing to do some new voice acting for it?
If you get him, make one of the missions with him on board called "Little Tank" or ISD Gruber :)

Also did you edit the training missions and if so what's the solution to pass the TIE Bomber missions where you 1. after launching from the training platform are told to test-launch proton torpedoes at a frigate from stand-off but since its just you the frigate easily targets the missiles with its laser batteries long before the torpedoes get close (CIWS Phalanx style) but in the original game it doesn't do that lol. I'm guessing you can use Allied mission editor to make it hold fire?

And what about the other bomber training mission attacking the three platforms that likewise target the space bombs with ease? Or did you do the real-world solution of adding wave-after-wave of vastly more bombers to overwhelm their defences? The only way I could get past those missions was to switch to invulnerable and hammer away with lasers at close range until they were destroyed but not an ideal or fun way obvs.

I managed to finally (mainly by trial and error) get Waylons old TFTC 2.0 working with bmans active virtual cockpits and lighting effects in XWA and it looks incredible the only thing I had probs to work was the new backgrounds so I'm really looking forward to your new TFTC :)

Personally I think it looks better than XWVM, good work to all involved! Although the original game was great the one thing I never liked was the fire-rate of the lasers was far too slow but with this it feels just right (and sounds so much better).

madadh7267
Cadet 4th Class

Post by madadh7267 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:36 am

looks good cant wit until it is released :D