The Definitive FAQ Thread for TFTC

A forum for the TIE Fighter Total Conversion Project (TFTC). Here you can find out news, updates, FAQs or just ask questions about the project.

Moderators: AngeI, Bman

The Definitive FAQ Thread for TFTC

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:47 am

What will I need to play TFTC?

You will need a copy of X-Wing Alliance which you can purchase from:
GoG: https://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_xwing_alliance
Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/3616 ... _Alliance/

You will also need the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade (XWAU) mod and any patches:

XWAU 2020 Main Download: https://www.xwaupgrade.com/download/ins ... AU2020.exe
XWAU 2020 Patch Update 4: https://www.xwaupgrade.com/download/ins ... e_v4.0.exe
XWAU Website: https://www.xwaupgrade.com/index.php

And finally TFTC itself:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/tie-fighter- ... rsion-tftc ** (NOT YET RELEASED)**

How do I install TFTC?

The installation progression goes like this:

**1:** Install a clean copy of XWA from GoG or Steam (see above)
**2:** Install XWAU 2020 Mega Patch
**3: **Install XWAU Update 4 Patch
**4:** Install TFTC v1.0
**5: **Switch to TFTC Classic or Reimagined using the Palpatine Total Converter from the XWA launcher (via desktop shortcut or Alliance.exe in the root folder)
**6: **Play!

If in any doubt, please visit this helpful YouTube tutorial https://youtu.be/vKtFO4XVLJc on installing plus other tips.

How do I switch between TFTC Classic, TFTC Reimagined and XWAU?

You need to use the XWA launcher and run the Palpatine Total Converter. From there you can switch versions seamlessly. Please visit this helpful YouTube tutorial https://youtu.be/vKtFO4XVLJc on installing plus other tips.

What does TFTC include?

TFTC Classic includes Battles 1-13 (Base game, Defenders of the Empire and Enemies of the Empire expansions) + all original voice acting.
TFTC Reimagined includes Battles 1-8 (Base game + 1 Battle from Defenders of the Empire). Battles 9-13 still need doing, expected early 2022.
All 28 TF Training missions tucked away in the training simulator. These unlock as you progress through the main campaigns.
All the original cutscenes, including the Secret Order
A pilots room that will fill up with Imperial memorabilia as you progress, as well as all the original medals and even the Secret Order arm tattoos.
A completely remastered TIE Fighter imuse score
An original Roland SC-55 MIDI TIE Fighter imuse score (more versions such as AWE32 and GUS to come later!)

How will the Secret Order work?

XWA does not have the individual character interactions that TIE Fighter had sadly, so we've had to compromise a little here. All Secret Order objectives and missions are now primary mission objectives instead of secret or bonus goals. When ingame, any Secret Order based objective will have the [SO] tag next to it. Completing them is nessecary in order to beat a mission. There are still plenty of bonus/hidden objectives to earn more points and more points means you get closer to unlocking higher Secret Order ranks!

Can we play with a Keyboard and Mouse or do we need a Joystick or Controller?

While the game is best played with a Joystick (and to a much lesser degree a gamepad controller), it is also possible to use the Keyboard and Mouse exclusively to fly. To do this, open up the XWA Launcher, click on the Babu Frik Configurator and enable 'Joystick Emulation'. You can also set the mouse sensitivity there or just use the Keyboard. Please note this will disable any joystick or controller if emulation is turned on.

Will there be VR support?

Yes, XWAU has integrated VR support which means TFTC can do it as well! Be warned VR requires a really beefy system, even then you may experience some lag. Remember this game engine is 22 years old and was never designed properly for it or modern hardware in general.

Will we be able to play a Co-op version of the campaigns?

Eventually we would like to do this and it is possible already to enable, but this is something to look at post-release as it will likely take some significant editing and rebalancing to account for multiple players.

Do you have a Patreon or accept financial donations?

As much as we might like to, we cannot accept ANY kind of financial donation to the project due to the increased risk of legal troubles with Disney if we did so. You can reward us by playing the mod and spreading words of its existence to others who would be interested!

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:38 pm

Hi Angel,

Many Thanks for share all this useful info.

I have some questions:

1) I have both Tie Figher and XWA, in what folder I need to install TFTC ?
2) I see there are additinal cutscene that are not original (seem come from cartoon animated version) is possible choose to exclude it ?
3) About contribute to this project I can upscale the cutscene if are in avi / mpeg , etc.. here the XWA version: http://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 15&t=12710
4) All SFX came from Tie Fither or XWA ?

Thanks !

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:56 pm

marcop000 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:38 pm
Hi Angel,

Many Thanks for share all this useful info.

I have some questions:

1) I have both Tie Figher and XWA, in what folder I need to install TFTC ?
2) I see there are additinal cutscene that are not original (seem come from cartoon animated version) is possible choose to exclude it ?
3) About contribute to this project I can upscale the cutscene if are in avi / mpeg , etc.. here the XWA version: http://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 15&t=12710
4) All SFX came from Tie Fither or XWA ?

Thanks !
1: This is a mod for XWA, therefore it will be installed in the XWA folder. I know a tool is being developed for XWAU to easily swap in/out things like TFTC but I don't know the details of this yet. The requirement to have TF installed is only a precaution on our part to try and minimise a C&D by Disney/EA.
2: If you mean from that TIE FIghter animation short, this was part of the old project which I've not actually removed or altered. I don't know if they actually had permission to use this cutscene so I need to reach out to them to ensure we have permission. I'm not sold on using it though, as cool as it is, rather than just going with the original simulator cutscene in TF.
3: We are recording the cutscenes directly from the game and they will be in a widescreen format. We don't intend to upscale them as I prefer to keep their original artwork here. We will however be remastering the music and cleaning up the audio for them. If someone had the talent to entirely remake these cutscenes, then great, but I imagine thats rather time consuming :D
4: A mix of both.

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:30 pm

Thank you AngeI for your fast reply !!!.

Please excuse me I have forgot to ask you another question:

In the future will be a chance to choose the original squared crosshair ? Frankly I like it ..

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:34 pm

Probably yes but nothing has been done for that at this point.

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:37 pm

what you think about this ?

https://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewt ... it=reticle

seem already done.

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:12 pm

I'm aware of them but I've not got a build including them yet.

Kriegmacher
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Kriegmacher » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:46 pm

I'm really looking forward to this. Will it also include the "shoot the pyramids" arcade style training rings?

Also, will the new campaign feature the TIE Royal Guard Interceptor, and why not? :P

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:40 pm

I've not actually looked at that training part of the game, I'm honestly not sure its possible to port that part of the game in I'm afraid, but I will look into it.

And currently no plans to include the Royal Guard Interceptor at this time, sorry :P

Fek'LeyrTarg
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Fek'LeyrTarg » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:29 pm

As someone who helped Waylon porting Battles 8-13 to the original TFTC release 10 years ago, I'm very excited about the upcoming release.

I'm curious:
How are you going to handle the maze/salvage yard?

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:50 pm

Fek'LeyrTarg wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:29 pm
As someone who helped Waylon porting Battles 8-13 to the original TFTC release 10 years ago, I'm very excited about the upcoming release.

I'm curious:
How are you going to handle the maze/salvage yard?
Nice! :)

I honestly haven't given that much thought, I don't think having the circular maze from TF will be possible as it has spawn logic that can't be replicated in XWA. I'm unsure at this time if I just want to keep the default XWA proving grounds or just lock it out completely. It needs discussion first :)

Knarfe
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Knarfe » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:53 am

How many people are working on this incredible project?

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:54 am

We have maybe a dozen people working on or contributing to the project, though much of the primary work and keeping it all together falls on my shoulders. A good portion of the XWAU team is part of ours, allowing us to work closely with them and make sure the two projects are seamlessly compatible. We also now have about 10 Beta testers putting the mod through its places now :)

Knarfe
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Knarfe » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:59 pm

Just insane what you have done so far.

When I played Tie Fighter 25 years ago I decided it was the best game of all times. And this is still my opinion. Eversince I wished to have this game with same gameplay but a modern technique. Now it´s becoming true.

I also played Squadrons which is a real good game but lightyears away from the legendary career mode of TF.

avazquezd75x
Recruit

Post by avazquezd75x » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:48 pm

Squadrons is a really nice game ... but it´s nowhere near what you aim to acomplish in here ... I WILL play your TFTC anytime over Squadrons !!!
Waiting for your release... Congratulations!

al025255
Recruit

Post by al025255 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:19 am

Hello

I'm trying to install the TFTC but I couldn't find it in the downloads section. I've downloaded and tested the XWAU2020 Mega Patch and wotks fine
it hasn't been released yet? in such case: it's possible to help testing the game

I'm computer engineer and a total fan of this games, and I'll be happy if I can help in any way, developing, testing, etc

thanks to everybody

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:43 am

Hi @al025255, the mod is still undergoing beta testing and not yet released. We are hoping to release in a few weeks time.

Avarice1987
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Avarice1987 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:04 pm

I have a quick question.

See in your videos yes Gladiator Star Destroyer, and also bluer ion beams. will the With release of the TFTC generally available? I like your videos very much.

Have you also updated the ISD 1? It looks different than in XWAU

bigWill86`
Recruit

Post by bigWill86` » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:39 am

Quick Question: I know we are using the X-Wing Alliance Game Engine and I know that we do the Death Star at the end, maybe later on is it possible to show what it would be like to have a player fly as the Empire against the Rebel Assult against the 2nd Death Star; and somehow the player manages to escape and fly to the hanger of an evacuating ship that jumps to safety? Just a thought.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:20 am

Sounds a good mission idea actually
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

San_A
Recruit

Post by San_A » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:43 pm

Is there a way to support the project? (Patreon, Tipeee, ...)

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:32 am

San_A wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:43 pm
Is there a way to support the project? (Patreon, Tipeee, ...)
Yes. You can support TFTC by buying the games from GOG.com, Steam, perhaps other retailers, or sending a check directly to Disney or LucasFilm as a token of your appreciation for being a loyal S.W. fan.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Dax
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Dax » Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:18 am

There seems to be a joystick quirk where it wants to roll on me when I maneuver. My joystick settings work fine in XWAU (up is up, down is down, etc., roll is push a button and turn left or right). Is this built into the game? Do I need to modify my joystick settings in some way?

Also, is it possible to set craft waves so that if you die once the mission is over? Realism is painful, but I like it that way. :)

theonegalen
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by theonegalen » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:48 pm

Dax wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:18 am
There seems to be a joystick quirk where it wants to roll on me when I maneuver. My joystick settings work fine in XWAU (up is up, down is down, etc., roll is push a button and turn left or right). Is this built into the game? Do I need to modify my joystick settings in some way?
For one thing, most craft have roll and yaw combined in their "yaw" axis - a feature of the original Tie Fighter and XWA. Is that the behaviour you're talking about?

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:09 pm

Dax wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:18 am

Also, is it possible to set craft waves so that if you die once the mission is over? Realism is painful, but I like it that way. :)
s
You should edit the player Flight Group for this, making it a solo, in a global unit to build the full squadron. Totally possible.