Bug Reports

A forum for the TIE Fighter Total Conversion Project (TFTC). Here you can find out news, updates, FAQs or just ask questions about the project.

Moderators: AngeI, Bman

Re: Bug Reports

danyetman
Cadet 4th Class

Post by danyetman » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:45 pm

On Reimagined 1.1, the first mission with the gunboat killing fighters and inspecting containers - if you die and rely the mission, there will be no music. SFX and voices work fine, but there will be no music at all - it's rather unsettling. Have not yet determined if this is an overall bug or one that only exists in this mission.

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:56 pm

danyetman wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:45 pm
On Reimagined 1.1, the first mission with the gunboat killing fighters and inspecting containers - if you die and rely the mission, there will be no music. SFX and voices work fine, but there will be no music at all - it's rather unsettling. Have not yet determined if this is an overall bug or one that only exists in this mission.
That's most likely the known issue with the music. Sometimes it just stops playing. We have not been able to pinpoint the cause of this and as such cannot offer a solution. It only appears to happen once in a while though.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

danyetman
Cadet 4th Class

Post by danyetman » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:19 pm

That's curious, because it quite literally happens every single time to me - not quite what I would deem 'intermittent'.

I will continue to test and see if I can determine a pattern through the powers of OCD.

the_stag
Rebel Alliance

Post by the_stag » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:01 pm

This is only a "bug" in the fact that this feature was available in the original TIE Fighter and not here now.

Is there any way to add a time speed multiplier? In the original game you could cycle between 1x, 2x, and 4x accelerated time with Alt+T. It was really useful for certain missions (and I think it was expected to be used). I just played tour 9, mission 6, Transfer T/D Prototypes. And boy was there a lot of flying time in that mission (and I had to play it twice because the M/CRV that triggers the arrival of the T/D's was destoyed, the mission wasn't lost but I had to wait, wait, wait for the CARG's to finish before I realized I couldn't complete the mission). Thanks!

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:17 pm

the_stag wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:01 pm
This is only a "bug" in the fact that this feature was available in the original TIE Fighter and not here now.

Is there any way to add a time speed multiplier? In the original game you could cycle between 1x, 2x, and 4x accelerated time with Alt+T. It was really useful for certain missions (and I think it was expected to be used). I just played tour 9, mission 6, Transfer T/D Prototypes. And boy was there a lot of flying time in that mission (and I had to play it twice because the M/CRV that triggers the arrival of the T/D's was destoyed, the mission wasn't lost but I had to wait, wait, wait for the CARG's to finish before I realized I couldn't complete the mission). Thanks!

Hi, unfortunately adding this functionality is not possible. Believe me I wish it were!

the_stag
Rebel Alliance

Post by the_stag » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:18 pm

I did so well in B10M6 that I got 2 secret order promotions after the mission was over. Which is to say I saw a secret order ceremony, the end of battle cut-scene, the medal reward ceremony, and then another secret order ceremony. All in that order. But when it showed my arm along side the medal, I only saw the first promotion tattoo. I restarted the game and looked again, same issue. I decided to continue playing anyways, after the next mission, B11M1 it showed the screen (without showing the ceremony) of my arm with the latest upgrade. I'm not sure what happened, but at the end of the day all is well.

Garfunkel
Recruit

Post by Garfunkel » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:48 pm

Plutonia wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:07 pm
I got tired of being instakilled by stray fire in the hyperdrive tech mission and decided to cheat so that I could get the mission over with, and not waste my time flying for 10 minutes and getting a game over with no warning, and repeat. But it didn't actually help because the Tour Invulnerable option is broken. The player's fighter still takes damage and systems will go down, they just can't be fully destroyed. This wouldn't really be an issue, since the whole point of the cheat is to be able to play the game without dying instantly due to flying a TIE, but there's another bug that makes this game-breaking. The repair timers for the malfunctioning systems are stuck in their starting values. If something takes 15 seconds to repair, the clock will say 15 forever and the system will never come back online. So, if you're ever unfortunate enough to take even one hit, and that hit happens to knock out your flight control, your mission is over because you can't fly anymore.
I can confirm this - playing 1.1 version and in the Tie Fighter Training mission 2, I got badly damaged but none of my systems get repaired. I got repaired in the first mission, so I don't know what's the difference, maybe timers? they are 00:14, 00:14, 00:20, 00:20, 00:20 - in the last mission only one system got damaged.

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:01 pm

@Plutonia @Garfunkel

Invulnerability does not stop you from being disabled by ion cannon fire I'm afraid. If you engage ships with ion cannons that are on torpedo runs, they will sometimes break off to engage you if you shoot at them, the AI will in response use both lasers AND ion cannons which as a result can end up with you being disabled if you are not paying attention. This is something that can catch you off guard especially if you're trying to attack multiple targets or have to break off or evade something else because suddenly they're baring down on you and it requires fast reactions to avoid.

Once you are fully disabled, your systems cannot be repaired by anything other than ship that can board to repair you hence it results usually in a mission restart. This behaviour in the AI is not something we can change unfortunately.

Guyofthe80s
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Guyofthe80s » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:03 pm

I'm seeing an odd glitch that seems exclusive to Z-95 Headhunters. I thought it was only in a single mission, but as I progress through the game, I'm noticing whenever a wave of Z-95s enter the fray, they will never break from their initial trajectory at the speed they entered in. Last mission I played, there was a flight of Z-95s 60 KM away from the action with AI friendlies chasing them. It's not a HUGE issue, but definitely messes with the balance since a whole flightgroup of enemies isn't around to help their buddies at best and at worst, it draws away FRIENDLY AI ships that chase them leaving the player fighting the rest of the enemy AI fighters without any assistance.

Plutonia
Recruit

Post by Plutonia » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:58 pm

AngeI wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:01 pm
@Plutonia @Garfunkel

Invulnerability does not stop you from being disabled by ion cannon fire I'm afraid. If you engage ships with ion cannons that are on torpedo runs, they will sometimes break off to engage you if you shoot at them, the AI will in response use both lasers AND ion cannons which as a result can end up with you being disabled if you are not paying attention. This is something that can catch you off guard especially if you're trying to attack multiple targets or have to break off or evade something else because suddenly they're baring down on you and it requires fast reactions to avoid.

Once you are fully disabled, your systems cannot be repaired by anything other than ship that can board to repair you hence it results usually in a mission restart. This behaviour in the AI is not something we can change unfortunately.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the original campaign of TIE Fighter did not have enemies that use ion cannons against the player? I know it didn't have those hyper-overpowered clone war era Y-Wings with ion turrets that absolutely break the balance of TFTC. But even regular Y-wings will use ion cannons against the player and disable them permanently. I think the mod has taken too many liberties in expanding its functionality without adding in supplementary systems to maintain the careful difficulty balance. If the enemies can permanently disable the player in one hit, then missions where that happens should have maintenance craft capable of restoring fighter functionality. The game already automatically responds to running out of ordnance by spawning a utility vehicle. Could the game be able to also respond to disabled friendly fighters by sending one to restore them? ...Or would that be unfriendly to the lore considering that the Empire doesn't care about losing a few TIEs?

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:19 pm

Plutonia wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:58 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the original campaign of TIE Fighter did not have enemies that use ion cannons against the player? I know it didn't have those hyper-overpowered clone war era Y-Wings with ion turrets that absolutely break the balance of TFTC. But even regular Y-wings will use ion cannons against the player and disable them permanently. I think the mod has taken too many liberties in expanding its functionality without adding in supplementary systems to maintain the careful difficulty balance. If the enemies can permanently disable the player in one hit, then missions where that happens should have maintenance craft capable of restoring fighter functionality. The game already automatically responds to running out of ordnance by spawning a utility vehicle. Could the game be able to also respond to disabled friendly fighters by sending one to restore them? ...Or would that be unfriendly to the lore considering that the Empire doesn't care about losing a few TIEs?
@Plutonia To address in order:

No TIE Fighter did not have this mechanic, but X-Wing Alliance does and I have asked before but currently it is simply not possible to turn off this behaviour from the AI, it was not a choice on our part to allow this mechanic.

The Clone war era Y-Wings only show up in the Reimagined campaign, which deliberately and definitely takes intentional liberties and changes for the TIE Fighter campaign. However they aren't firing Ions, they're simply firing dark blue clone war era lasers. Regular Ions are bright blue in colour. The Classic campaign version has no extra new ships and only focuses on trying to keep the original behaviour as much as we can. This is why you can easily swap between the two versions if you want a more OG experience.

I have actually considered in the past allowing for a craft to come and repair you if you become disabled and its something that is still on the table that I am seriously considering. I think however it's only a real issue on missions where you are in an unshielded TIE as shielded ships can absorb the hit with time for you to take evasive action. The AI skill can be reduced on the offending craft so when they DO turn to engage you, they aren't as accurate or as easily able to hit you. Always a good method to spam 'E' for nearest enemy attacking you frequently though to be situationally aware of them.

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:12 pm

Fact is that when a mothership or any frienfly launchbay are present to return, during the Civil War were at disposal many space tug piloted by droids and/or simple mechanics to recover disabled fighter in safe areas and to attempt cold start up setups. Same goes for pilots in extra vehicular activities - both parts have shuttles running from various rescue beacon recovering pilots of both parts (and obviously capturing the enemies thereafter). Thanks to his mechanics about ejecting pilots and life boats XWA may do great things in this aspect. Personally i set bonus goals for recover pilots when running transports and for killing eva enemies when playing ruthless pirates or imperials in my own missions.

Plutonia
Recruit

Post by Plutonia » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:17 pm

AngeI wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:19 pm
The BLT-B's aren't firing Ions, they're simply firing dark blue clone war era lasers. Regular Ions are bright blue in colour.
Oh. Well, that's actually wrong according to the lore, because apparently the turret guns are indeed supposed to be ion cannons. Was that a technical limitation of the mod as well?

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:59 am

Plutonia wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:17 pm
AngeI wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:19 pm
The BLT-B's aren't firing Ions, they're simply firing dark blue clone war era lasers. Regular Ions are bright blue in colour.
Oh. Well, that's actually wrong according to the lore, because apparently the turret guns are indeed supposed to be ion cannons. Was that a technical limitation of the mod as well?
Nope, wasn't aware it was supposed to be an ion but then @Bman knows weapon's better than me ;)

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:36 am

They were Ions in TCW era because they are more damaging than blasters and lasers or turbolaser to machines, because they totally bypass armour effect and glancing hits have same effect of a direct it. Republic Grand Army developed lots of ions and emp weapons.

Garfunkel
Recruit

Post by Garfunkel » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:28 pm

Ah, they were indeed firing ion cannons at me! That explains the issue then, not a bug. Thanks for the explanation!

Tigellinus
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Tigellinus » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:02 pm

Please can somebody help me how i can win in B7M4 reimagined. i playing this mission nearly whole week and i am always lost because Emperors destroyer Majestic is destroyed.
This mission i played before patch and i was win now with patch i am always lost because many fighters and decimators. which attcking on Majestic. ?D :(

Guyofthe80s
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Guyofthe80s » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:42 am

Tigellinus wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:02 pm
Please can somebody help me how i can win in B7M4 reimagined. i playing this mission nearly whole week and i am always lost because Emperors destroyer Majestic is destroyed.
This mission i played before patch and i was win now with patch i am always lost because many fighters and decimators. which attcking on Majestic. ?D :(
There was a quick-fix released for that mission on the 22nd through the TFTC discord. It might fix the issue you're having.

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:19 am

Tigellinus wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:02 pm
The mission is currently bugged, you can find a fix here: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=13602

Kramah313
Recruit

Post by Kramah313 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:38 pm

In addition to power presets getting wiped out if you go to the menu using Esc while in flight and resume the game, it seems that friendly list and enemy list don’t work on any battle mission where you’re flying the assault gunboat. They do seem to work with the TIE craft though. I have done battle 0 and 1 and am working on 2 on hard mode (if it matters).

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:37 am

RE: Y-wingB, yep we put twin ion-cannon hardpoints with two laser hardpoints on the nose of the ship. The top quad cannons above the cockpit are setup as turbolasers which auto-rotate and track targets when used by A.I. flight groups. Like the YT-transports, and previous Shuttle model, you can man this upper gunnerwell if you toggle your "G" key. You can then fire at 360 degrees with a limited arc. If back in the regular cockpit, I think you can press your Z or X key to turn auto-defense turbolasers on if you don't want to man them. This is the first starfighter released to employ all of these cool features. :-) I suppose the LAAT gunships could follow and so forth. If all hardpoints are set to ion-cannons, then you would not be able to destroy anything. As Angel said, lasers are C.W. blue and the ions are lighter blue. Hoping to update the ion textures probably next year for all craft.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Djapana
Recruit

Post by Djapana » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:18 am

Hey Angel and team, spectacular work. Loved every minute of it.
I'm having the same issue that was mentioned above, but not addressed - everytime there's a Z-95 involved in the mission, they just fly off in a straight line without deviation. Naturally I often have wingmates go off after them, which either screws me later when I'm trying to take out a Mon Cal cruiser or something by myself, or the flipside is I finish all my objectives but then have to wait 10 odd minutes to catch up to the bastard Z-95s that are 80km away. I've got ALLiED, so I've made work arounds like switching the Z-95s to something else (which works), or simply deleting them, but that's a sub-optimal solution.
Any ideas?
Also, I've got the bug I've seen mentioned elsewhere that I can't access the ToD in the combat simulator (this is all in reimagined) and given that I've completed the tour so far, I haven't been able to get it back. Were there any workarounds I've missed other than changing versions, then reloading?

Regardless of all the above, love the work. Keep it up!
Rediscovering XWA and the XWAU after over 20 yrs

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:57 pm

I could be wrong, but I'm now thinking that possibly the Z-95's could be chasing the escape pods or pilot ejects of the craft they take out that disappear eventually or craft that did hyper away they had orders to attack. If we set status2 in AlliED editor to "No pilot/Escape Pod eject" (or called something similar) on all FG's in the mission, that might solve the issue. But it seems to be appearing in different missions.

Also, try deleting the "spec.rci" file in your main \XWA directory. Launch the game and when the concourse room or crew quarters room shows, find a way to go into the tech library globe room and sit there for a maybe 20 seconds. Then leave. The game will then auto regenerate Spec.rci file. It uses this file as like a cache/swapped indexed file to help load craft/objects and their stats a lot faster. I think mostly stats. Good luck.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:43 pm

Bman wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:57 pm
I could be wrong, but I'm now thinking that possibly the Z-95's could be chasing the escape pods or pilot ejects of the craft they take out that disappear eventually or craft that did hyper away they had orders to attack. If we set status2 in AlliED editor to "No pilot/Escape Pod eject" (or called something similar) on all FG's in the mission, that might solve the issue. But it seems to be appearing in different missions.

Also, try deleting the "spec.rci" file in your main \XWA directory. Launch the game and when the concourse room or crew quarters room shows, find a way to go into the tech library globe room and sit there for a maybe 20 seconds. Then leave. The game will then auto regenerate Spec.rci file. It uses this file as like a cache/swapped indexed file to help load craft/objects and their stats a lot faster. I think mostly stats. Good luck.

This shouldn't be possible because we disabled Escape Pods/Pilots in the EXE rather than the mission, and i've never seen them spawn. Its possible it could be a bugged EXE file but what few reports we've had on this (and it is a rare bug), suggest they are flying off aimlessly with no target. @Djapana perhaps you can post us your current XWingAlliance.EXE file and we can do some tests on it. Let me know if this is Reimagined or Classic.

Also to address your ToD button bug, I've attached an older version of the file that is responsible for this. Extract the DLL file from the ZOP and install it to your root director and replace the existing file. It should then restore the button being greyed out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:35 am

I recently tested B6m4, and couldn't reproduce the bug. Yep, there's no AI eject. What about implementing a wait order for Z-95's (or deploy from Venator) after the player's FG arrives in Region 3 or other IFF imperial FG's ?