Bug Reports

A forum for the TIE Fighter Total Conversion Project (TFTC). Here you can find out news, updates, FAQs or just ask questions about the project.

Moderators: AngeI, Bman

Re: Bug Reports

kev11106
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by kev11106 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:25 pm

Anybody have a sticky cursor hand in the flight sim menu? Can't get to the ship links. Seems to be a problem with Steam vr. The menu pops up in the background...

Sir Glonojad
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Sir Glonojad » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:42 pm

Reimagined B1M1 and B1M2, the space is.. completelw white. Well, not all is white, there is a large planet that is planetish ;)
May the Force be with You

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:31 am

Sir Glonojad wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:42 pm
Reimagined B1M1 and B1M2, the space is.. completelw white. Well, not all is white, there is a large planet that is planetish ;)
Hi, this sounds like either a corrupted install or an issue with backgrounds not being turned on properly in game. Check the ESC menu settings on backgrounds (turn off/on) and if not, attempt a reinstall.

Sir Glonojad
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Sir Glonojad » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:01 pm

@Angel I have "special effects" disabled, can this result in this error?

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:25 am

Sir Glonojad wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:01 pm
Special effects should not impact the backgrounds, but you can always try to turn it back on to see if it helps. Tagging @blue_max in case there's something I missed.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:02 pm

Sometimes you have to reset the effects and then set them up again. I think reset or restore is the naming
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Sir Glonojad
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Sir Glonojad » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:14 pm

I have turned backdrops off and the space is black again. When I turn them back on, however, they turn white again.

I've read somewhere that my videocard, despite being DirectX11 compatible on paper, in practice (i.e. functions actually working) is DX10. I wonder if this has something to do with this error (or the impossibilty to run special effects, inc. dynamic cockpit...).

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:40 pm

Sir Glonojad wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:14 pm
I have turned backdrops off and the space is black again. When I turn them back on, however, they turn white again.

I've read somewhere that my videocard, despite being DirectX11 compatible on paper, in practice (i.e. functions actually working) is DX10. I wonder if this has something to do with this error (or the impossibilty to run special effects, inc. dynamic cockpit...).
To be on the safe side, I'd just try reinstalling everything from scratch, backup your pilot files as well so you can copy them across to the new install.

stroeum
Recruit

Post by stroeum » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:10 pm

ZakMcRofl wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:54 pm
Forceflow wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:26 pm
ZakMcRofl wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:49 pm
Not really a bug, more of a balancing issue. I am really stuck at B7M1. I consider myself a veteran player and had no trouble so far, but I am not at around 40 attempts on medium with no luck. My wingmen die relatively quickly, I even tried leaving them back at the interdictor to use them later on, also didn't help. The sheer amount of B-Wings and Y-Wings that immediately fire all of their photon torpedos combined with a massive amount of enemy figthers that target the player directly makes me question how this can be juggled.
Do others have the same trouble? It feels like the battle draws you and/or your wingmen too close to the enemy capital ships which keeps taking out your wingmen early, causing you to be pretty alone by the time it counts (B-Wing and Y-Wing killing).

I don't mind a challenge but this seems 10x harder than all previous missions that I breezed through.

Here is a video of one guy doing it, not sure on what difficulty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCIPJN-Ip2c&t=1053s
I noticed that the first two TIE-Advanced he attacks don't shoot rockets at him which is the case for me, so maybe he is playing on easy.

EDIT: Since this is my first post here, I totally forgot to add that THIS FUCKING ROCKS! Thanks for making this Total Conversion, it's so epic to play TIE Fighter again in modern resolutions.
You are not alone, that mission is just really, really tough. Even with my best flying and doing a lot of strategizing I couldn't beat it. There is a modified version available for that mission:
B7M1-R.zip

That should be part of the first update that is supposed to come out tomorrow. (Not 100% sure if that is the final way the mission will be, but should be very close)
There's a bunch of missions that received tweaks, for now those can only be found in the official TFTC Discord.

It's still not easy, but at least I finally managed to beat it with this iteration. No idea what kind of a superhuman pilot you needed to be to beat that...
Thanks Forceflow, I "solved" it by switching to Easy and did the mission first try. Good to hear others have trouble with it. Looking forward to the update and I will make sure to visit the Discord
Count me among those you can't seem to beat it. The second I take my eyes away from the Interdictor because Green A-Wings and Orange X-Wings decided to chase me, B-Wings and Y-Wings are killing the INT.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:59 pm

AngeI wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:25 am
Sir Glonojad wrote:
Special effects should not impact the backgrounds, but you can always try to turn it back on to see if it helps. Tagging @blue_max in case there's something I missed.
If you disable the Effects and still get a white background then the problem is either a corrupted install, or that your video card does not support the files we're using (either it ran out of memory or it doesn't fully support DX11). By disabling the Effects, you're using the Golden Standard implementation of ddraw.dll by Jeremy. This is a solid implementation and we use it as our reference. So if you still see problems, I'd try reinstalling the patches or maybe even updating the drivers of your videocard. If that doesn't work, then maybe it's time to get a new videocard.

Another thing you could do is Press Alt+D to cycle the detail levels (or check the detail settings in the ESC menu). Sometimes the background can be removed that way, but it usually goes full black -- not white.

lepermessiah
Cadet 4th Class

Post by lepermessiah » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:46 pm

Hi all, loving this amazing mod so far. But I have an issue with the cutscenes and intro....they play but VERY slow, the intro just seems stuck on the a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. What have I done wrong?

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:57 am

lepermessiah wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:46 pm
Hi all, loving this amazing mod so far. But I have an issue with the cutscenes and intro....they play but VERY slow, the intro just seems stuck on the a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. What have I done wrong?
Are you running Windows 10? This could be a codec issue as the movies are just MP4s. You can try playing them outside the game in the Movies folder to make sure they play ok in Windows.

lepermessiah
Cadet 4th Class

Post by lepermessiah » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:56 pm

AngeI wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:57 am
lepermessiah wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:46 pm
Are you running Windows 10? This could be a codec issue as the movies are just MP4s. You can try playing them outside the game in the Movies folder to make sure they play ok in Windows.
Hi Angel sorry for late reply. Yup I'm running Win10, just tried them direct from the folder and they all play fine, just not within the game itself.

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:03 am

Hmm I don't know what could be the cause of that then, no one else has reported such an issue before. @blue_max are there any settings which might affect cutscene playback speed you know of in any of the CFG files?

Calmputer
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Calmputer » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:52 am

Just a guess... but monitor framerate can affect cutscene playback. Try setting the refreshrate of the monitor to 60.
It usually only causes audio to get cut off prematurely... but maybe it can get more serious?

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:42 pm

The cutscenes are video files, so try playing them outside the game to see if maybe they're corrupted. Try what Calmputer pointed out too. There's another setting that you can check in VRParams.cfg:

concourse_animations_at_25fps = 1

It shouldn't matter because that setting only applies to the animations in the Concourse, but just check that it looks like that.

Sir Glonojad
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Sir Glonojad » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:47 am

blue_max wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:59 pm
AngeI wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:25 am
Sir Glonojad wrote:
If you disable the Effects and still get a white background (...)
No, no, without the effects I get a black background, but without all the beautiful planets filling half of the space, just normal stars and some small features like galaxies.

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:01 pm

Sir Glonojad wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:47 am

No, no, without the effects I get a black background, but without all the beautiful planets filling half of the space, just normal stars and some small features like galaxies.
Honestly I would try to do a clean install and see if this fixes the issue. Make sure to backup your Pilot (PLT) files in the root directory.

lepermessiah
Cadet 4th Class

Post by lepermessiah » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:05 pm

Calmputer wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:52 am
Just a guess... but monitor framerate can affect cutscene playback. Try setting the refreshrate of the monitor to 60.
It usually only causes audio to get cut off prematurely... but maybe it can get more serious?
blue_max wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:42 pm
The cutscenes are video files, so try playing them outside the game to see if maybe they're corrupted. Try what Calmputer pointed out too. There's another setting that you can check in VRParams.cfg:

concourse_animations_at_25fps = 1

It shouldn't matter because that setting only applies to the animations in the Concourse, but just check that it looks like that.
Thanks for the replies...Monitor is on 60hz anyway and that line is just like that in my VRParams.cfg. Just a bit more info I have 3 installs of XWAlliance, Vanilla which I still play via steam, XWAU is in a separate folder on a separate drive and I have a 3rd install with TIETC same drive as XWAU but the game data folder is within a folder called TIE Fighter TC....would that cause issues?

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:53 pm

Sir Glonojad wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:47 am
Sometimes this happens because the game is running at low detail level. Try pressing Alt+D to cycle through the detail levels, or check that you have the highest level enabled in your Video Options menu.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:55 pm

lepermessiah wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:05 pm
Thanks for the replies...Monitor is on 60hz anyway and that line is just like that in my VRParams.cfg. Just a bit more info I have 3 installs of XWAlliance, Vanilla which I still play via steam, XWAU is in a separate folder on a separate drive and I have a 3rd install with TIETC same drive as XWAU but the game data folder is within a folder called TIE Fighter TC....would that cause issues?
The name of the root directory shouldn't cause any problems, nor which drive it's running from. You can try running the game directly from these locations by double-clicking on xwingalliance.exe to see if that helps.

lepermessiah
Cadet 4th Class

Post by lepermessiah » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:52 pm

blue_max wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:55 pm

The name of the root directory shouldn't cause any problems, nor which drive it's running from. You can try running the game directly from these locations by double-clicking on xwingalliance.exe to see if that helps.
Tried that and no change. Tried running in admin mode as well, no change. I'll try a full reinstallation into 4th location and keep my fingers crossed!! I can't complain I'd rather the movies didn't work and the game did than the other way round!! ;)

lepermessiah
Cadet 4th Class

Post by lepermessiah » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:38 pm

Oh well tried a full reinstall of everything from scratch and same thing. Thanks for trying everyone, something's up somewhere on my PC and I can't figure it out. But as long as I can blow the crap out of Ywings (hate 'em with a passion) I'm happy! ;)

FrankCoupal
Recruit

Post by FrankCoupal » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:57 am

Help please!

Everything's working well and this is what I've been waiting for about 30 years.

I do have one weird issue and couldn't find anything help.
Basically, the Total Conversion Classic's all fine, but the Re-imagined Version's cockpit and all graphics are either completely blacks or only in shades of reds. Anyone has any ideas?
I'm on Windows 7, if that's any help.

Here's what it looks like for me:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:17 am

FrankCoupal wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:57 am
Help please!

Everything's working well and this is what I've been waiting for about 30 years.

I do have one weird issue and couldn't find anything help.
Basically, the Total Conversion Classic's all fine, but the Re-imagined Version's cockpit and all graphics are either completely blacks or only in shades of reds. Anyone has any ideas?
I'm on Windows 7, if that's any help.

Here's what it looks like for me:
@blue_max any idea on this? I've read in the past Win7 has had issues but not sure if related.